Ami i the only one who thinks Philander played Sensibly?

maniac

You T20 fans. :winky: PS: Thing is not team fkd up anything. It is not like SA gifted us wickets to *** it up in the end or India gave them easy runs and bowled poorly and never tried to take wickets. Cricket was good from both sides, determined. This is how you should see it. I could understand teams ***ing it up we had dropped catches or bowled poorly or SA batted poorly and choked. Our bowlers kept them under pressure and they stayed calm and did not crumble under that pressure. Look at how many times Faf was hit on his knuckles with some variable bounce but he maintained his calm and only a brilliant piece of field by Rahane could dislodge him and on the other hand, Rahane showed even in the *** end, he was ready for his team. .
That all is true. And I agree with you. We were just having some light humor up.

I also think that Dhoni went to his classic strategy of strangling the opponents by bowling in defence more. He might wanted a mini odi battle in last 5-7 overs. He expected the saffers would go for the kill and banked on our bowlers to take wickets while they are attacking. It's a nice gamble but hardly works.

arrey yaar even in ODI there are close matches where Shastri says cricket is the real winner' date='no team deserved to lose etc.still you have result,na?[/quote'] ODIs are only have 2 results, win or loss. Tests have 3 results, win, loss, or a draw. Draw in itself used to be considered a result in test cricket. This is where test cricket is different. Why was not India winner as SA failed to chase the target like ODIs or why could not SA get an extra 4-5 overs to get the target. If they wanted a win or loss result then they could have done any of the two. But this does not happen in test cricket, why? Because this is test and win or loss is not the only result. Draw is also a result in test cricket. Test cricket is watched because of the fight between bat and ball and test of skills of two teams, not solely because of win or loss result. For that, you have ODIs. This is why commentators say cricket wins when both teams have played and fought hard and there was a great cricket on display for 5 days whether or not there was a win or loss result.
I also think that Dhoni went to his classic strategy of strangling the opponents by bowling in defence more. He might wanted a mini odi battle in last 5-7 overs. He expected the saffers would go for the kill and banked on our bowlers to take wickets while they are attacking. It's a nice gamble but hardly works.
Agree. Dhoni was not defensive in this match. He had attacking fields all the time.
Cape Town - Two South African cricket legends, Clive Rice and Ray Jennings, have lashed out at the Proteas for not going for the win against India in the first Test at the Wanderers over the weekend. The South Africans were on course to chase down a record total of 458, needing 16 runs off 19 balls with four wickets in hand. However, when Faf du Plessis was run out for 134, Vernon Philander and Dale Steyn opted to play for a draw instead of going for the victory. Rice, who was SA's first captain when they re-entered the international fold after isolation, described the decision as shocking. "It was nothing less than a choke," he told the Beeld website. "That's not the way you play cricket when you get in a winning position. I believe if South Africa went for a win and lost the Test in the process, they would have earned a lot more respect for their approach to the game. "I'm sorry, but if you're the No 1 Test team in the world, then you go for the win in that situation. It's only a team that doubts itself that pulls out and takes the option we eventually took. "For me it was actually a very bad performance and I didn't even want to watch those last few balls. I was so angry that I left the room. "I believe a team should at all times have a winning mentality and South Africa did not have that. "And to say it was the two batsmen's decision to play for a draw, is also ridiculous. "Where is the team management who should make the decisions? When I was captain my players always knew what I expected of them and what our plan was. "Therefore, if that was the case, then team management and the captain should be hauled over the coals. "In the end it was a very good effort to draw, but when it comes to striving for victory, it was ridiculously poor," said Rice. Jennings, a former Proteas coach and Transvaal team-mate of Rice, also felt it was a choke. "In a situation like that, you expect a lot better from the best Test team in the world. I'm struggling to understand where the decision to shut up shop came from. "It was said that (Vernon) Philander and (Dale) Steyn made the decision, but I believe it came from the change room," said Jennings. With the series level at 0-0, the second and final Test starts in Durban on Thursday.
http://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/IndiaInSA/Rice-Jennings-slam-Proteas-20131224 Looks like lot of criticism for Soth Africans, they are called chokers by their own cricketers. :--D
I am sorry i would not want my side to lose a test after battling for more than 100 overs. .
short sighted approach considering the long term rewards on offer.that's precislely is the difference between mediocrity(short term thinking) and excellence.
That will be even more heart breaking than not winning. The fact that you guys think teams can take chance at the risk of losing doesn't make any sense
that's your negative tendencies speaking..taking a realistic of chance of wining historic prize(which will mean a lot symbolically and in material terms) at the cost of a short term loss absolutely makes sense. The rewards on offer are far more than one loss. its absurd for me to think about one loss when you have something historic to accomplish. then you clearly don't get it.
short sighted approach considering the long term rewards on offer.that's precislely is the difference between mediocrity(short term thinking) and excellence. that's your negative tendencies speaking..taking a realistic of chance of wining historic prize(which will mean a lot symbolically and in material terms) at the cost of a short term loss absolutely makes sense. The rewards on offer are far more than one loss. its absurd for me to think about one loss when you have something historic to accomplish. then you clearly don't get it.
Losing a test long sighted approach? :facepalm: , In that case India is the far worse than South africa as they should have gone for wickets instead of bowling bouncers.
Except India were only 3 down with Laxman' date=' Dravid still batting and Kohli, Dhoni and the tail including Harbhajan yet to come. You should back yourself to bat out 15 overs in that situation. at?[/quote'] The pitch was not conducive to scoring at even 3 an over when we needed more than 4 or 5. if I remember the whole test match was at a sluggish rate. if batsmen determined that scoring 4 an over at 15 overs on a sluggish pitch is too much of a gamble, it is believable.
Losing a test long sighted approach? :facepalm: [/quotre] negative thinking leading to illogic . :hysterical: difference between risk of losing and losing? you assume "taking chances = losing". negative attitude to the fore again I know you clearly won't get it. building a team culture of taking calculated risks and striving for higher standards + historic chance >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> one loss,in case if it happens.i can't put it even more simpler.
SA don't really have build new culture in chasing in tests. They have already played some of the best 4th innings chases. That is one of the reason they even got to 450 for 7. It is as if SA suddenly will declare at 0/0 and go for win in future. They are already a bloody good side. That is why they even drew it. It is funny to see how we Indian fans are patronizing about SA when our own team had the chance to nail it and played defensive. Why can't our bowlers go for yorkers against tailenders and "Create history" . Ever thought about that? If there is any team that we should go after it is our own team.
don't really have build new culture in chasing in tests.
they have to for higher levels. so you have a 10 cr company. to take to 100cr, you have to to take more calculated risks. you may have to borrow 50 crores,something you may have never done in your life.. that's the way it is in the real world. it is about growth...not status quo. they are not in a regular job taking monthly salary.
They have already played some of the best 4th innings chases.
does not mean they are great at certain qualities which may take them to higher levels.
It is funny to see how we Indian fans are patronizing about SA when our own team had the chance to nail it and played defensive. Why can't our bowlers go for yorkers against tailenders and "Create history" . Ever thought about that? If there is any team that we should go after it is our own team.
very silly...if a nz fan makes a cricketing comment , you would point out how perennially a cinderalla they are? how ridiculous...aren't ban and zim fans allowed to comment? we have tennis fans here commenting on top players when we haven't had a top 100 player for ages...nothing wrong...you look at the quality and facts in the post if the intention is only provke or express hate here,its a different story
t very silly...if a nz fan makes a cricketing comment , you would point out how perennially a cinderalla they are? how ridiculous...aren't ban and zim fans allowed to comment? we have tennis fans here commenting on top players when we haven't had a top 100 player for ages...nothing wrong...you look at the quality and facts in the post if the intention is only provke or express hate here,its a different story
If you criticize India as well your point is valid. You suggest as if whatever India did in the last 3 overs was right but somehow what SA did was wrong. Bottomline is both team went cautious. India bowled defensively. SA tail didn't want to take chance unnecessarily. Stalemate. Both teams got away, both teams missed opportunities. SA did not lose any pride in it. They have better reputation like bowling sides out for 45 to 50 runs. This one loss won't really help any culture to develop. If anything they have proved once again you cannot bowl a SA side out in 4th innings easily. If Fauf had been still staying there tables would have turned. We got a lucky break. India pretty much did the exact same thing against West Indies except India was in much better position to beat West Indies. We won't become cowards because of not taking chances. Ironcially you are defending the India's slow approach in West Indies. That was a low ranked side . If you dont take chance against them how will you create "history"
SA tail didn't want to take chance unnecessarily..
yeah I never knew winning and especially the greatest chase history is unnecessary hysterical: this is what happens when you are hell bent on being a blind apologist
We won't become cowards because of not taking chances.
this torture is nonending. I have said enough you just don't understand it and lack awareness.let's leave it at that
If anything they have proved once again you cannot bowl a SA side out in 4th innings easily.
just because they got 438,does it mean they can chase in 99% of other conditions? the 400's chases all made on highly benign surfaces which eased out. holds no relevance for many other conditions have some perspective
yeah I never knew winning and especially the greatest chase history is unnecessary hysterical: this is what happens when you are hell bent on being a blind apologist this torture is nonending. I have said enough you just don't understand it and lack awareness.let's leave it at that just because they got 438,does it mean they can chase in 99% of other conditions? the 400's chases all made on highly benign surfaces which eased out. holds no relevance for many other conditions have some perspective
You have made a self=proclamation that you have better understanding than me. So no point in talking to you. Secondly i was referring to Perth Test where they won by 6 wickets chasing 400 plus. But for the run outs of Smith, Fauf they would have crushed us. Thread would have been something else instead of calling them chokers.
If you criticize India as well your point is valid. You suggest as if whatever India did in the last 3 overs was right but somehow what SA did was wrong. Bottomline is both team went cautious. India bowled defensively. SA tail didn't want to take chance unnecessarily. Stalemate. Both teams got away, both teams missed opportunities. SA did not lose any pride in it. They have better reputation like bowling sides out for 45 to 50 runs. This one loss won't really help any culture to develop. If anything they have proved once again you cannot bowl a SA side out in 4th innings easily. If Fauf had been still staying there tables would have turned. We got a lucky break. India pretty much did the exact same thing against West Indies except India was in much better position to beat West Indies. We won't become cowards because of not taking chances. Ironcially you are defending the India's slow approach in West Indies. That was a low ranked side . If you dont take chance against them how will you create "history"
Yep.. dhoni messed up in the last 3 overs. Guess he didn't realize that they shut shop. Happens in the field.