Rohit Sharma is sucking the momentum out of India

G_B_

I am one of his biggest critics but think its unfair to slate him for today's batting. He did rotate strike and hit a few lusty blows. He should be ok on these kind of tracks....hopefully I dont jinx it!! Theres no way Dhoni will get rid of his favourite Sharma.....which means all we can do is hope he plays at least a couple of similar half decent innings!!

yeah it was not an innings of conviction. Raina and Kohli just dispatched the attack without fear.
Oh really? Then we should have chase down the target with 3-4 overs to spare. Did that happen? No. I am not a big fan of Rohit, but saying that others were able to "milk" huge hits and Rohit struggled will not be fair. Kohli had lower strike rate than Rohit actually if you see the scorecard properly, also the fact that Rohit build up the innings well and gave us a good start made it easier for Kohli and Raina to complete the game. But again an awful shot to get out when he got to a start, that was as lame a it gets.
Oh really? Then we should have chase down the target with 3-4 overs to spare. Did that happen? No. I am not a big fan of Rohit' date=' but saying that others were able to "milk" huge hits and Rohit struggled will not be fair. Kohli had lower strike rate than Rohit actually if you see the scorecard properly, also the fact that [b']Rohit build up the innings well and gave us a good start made it easier for Kohli and Raina to complete the game. But again an awful shot to get out when he got to a start, that was as lame a it gets.
Lol. Not really. After Yuvi got out, rather than defending around Raina and Kohli countered them or the match would have been a tad tougher.
still 50 plus opening partnership chasing 130 is a big advantage for middle order.
I did not say its not. They gave us a good stand at a healthy rate. Dhawan looked ugly but he made it up for the slow start somehow. Rohit batted well, but saying Rohit made it comfortable for Kohli & Raina is unfair on them. That little pressure was on after Yuvi's wicket.
I did not say its not. They gave us a good stand at a healthy rate. Dhawan looked ugly but he made it up for the slow start somehow. Rohit batted well' date=' but saying Rohit made it comfortable for Kohli & Raina is unfair on them. That little pressure was on after Yuvi's wicket.[/quote'] There is always pressure in T20 games as there is no time to relax because 1-2 good overs can turn the match. Not just today but true for every match. If we get pitches like today in coming matches then they will have to play measured innings and not try to smash from the start. A good start is needed even if RR is not really high. Wickets in hand and we can score 10-15 an over in last few overs.
Lol. Not really. After Yuvi got out' date=' rather than defending around Raina and Kohli countered them or the match would have been a tad tougher.[/quote'] Chasing 6 runs an over with guys like Dhoni and Jaddu to come in not much of pressure even if it is against Pak. All they had to do was take a single every ball. I would have appreciated had we attacked a little more once we got to 100, we really should have won it with 3 overs left. That would have increased our NRR and would have helped in making it to the semis. It all comes down to head to head and NRR in these competitions.
Oh really? Then we should have chase down the target with 3-4 overs to spare. Did that happen? No. I am not a big fan of Rohit' date=' but saying that others were able to "milk" huge hits and Rohit struggled will not be fair. Kohli had lower strike rate than Rohit actually if you see the scorecard properly, also the fact that Rohit build up the innings well and gave us a good start made it easier for Kohli and Raina to complete the game. But again an awful shot to get out when he got to a start, that was as lame a it gets.[/quote'] Its not just about the stats. Its how a batsman looks at the wicket. India started off extremely slowly 3 overs for 7 runs. Against some ok bowling. Lets keep in mind Rohit bats at the top in the first 6 when the fielders are well within the circle. Kohli came in when the field spread. If you break down Rohit's 24, it was made up of 2 , 6s and 1 4. Thats 16 runs out of 24 scored in shots for which he did not need to run. If we exclude the ball he got out on the rest would mean 8 runs of 17 balls. The dot ball % is high. This innings just highlight's Rohit's problem. Not enough strike rotation and a dot dot dot dot hit approach as an opener. I have seen him play for Mumbai and he comes in at 4 , he is able to rotate the strike from ball 1 due to a spread field. That tells me Rohit cant seem to penetrate the field in the first 6 Secondly as has been mentioned, he cant seem to take the team over the line. Was the set batsman and left India in bit of a lurch when he got out. Raina and Kohli just did not look like they would ever get out. They played out Ajmal. But they could have easily gone up gears and even chased down 160. Rohit never looked liked that.
I If you break down Rohit's 24, it was made up of 2 , 6s and 1 4. That's 16 runs out of 24 scored in shots for which he did not need to run. If we exclude the ball he got out on the rest would mean 8 runs of 17 balls. The dot ball % is high. .
That is because 7 fielders are inside the circle and taking singles is not that easy when fielders are in. If Kohli bats in those overs, he will have same number of dot balls too. Even Rahane will be the same. It is the boundaries which matter in 6 overs of PP. I dont want to singles in PP but more boundaries from both Dhawan and Rohit.
That is because 7 fielders are inside the circle and taking singles is not that easy when fielders are in. If Kohli bats in those overs' date= he will have same number of dot balls too. Even Rahane will be the same. It is the boundaries which matter in 6 overs of PP. I dont want to singles in PP but more boundaries from both Dhawan and Rohit.
not Rahane. His entire game is based on taking singles. Especially to third man. Has always been the case. If anything he may lack the big shots. But he will rotate the strike. What your saying is that Rohit effectively needs to go for more big shots in the first 6. Thats still a damning statement.
not Rahane. His entire game is based on taking singles. Especially to third man. Has always been the case. If anything he may lack the big shots. But he will rotate the strike. What your saying is that Rohit effectively needs to go for more big shots in the first 6. Thats still a damning statement.
You have no idea. Check how many dot balls Rahane played in Asia cup. T20 is about boundaries and I want boundaries in PP, not singles. Not just Rohit, even Dhawan. They are not playing as freely as they were playing before in CT and then in India against Aus. The seem under pressure.
You have no idea. Check how many dot balls Rahane played in Asia cup. T20 is about boundaries and I want boundaries in PP' date= not singles. Not just Rohit, even Dhawan. They are not playing as freely as they were playing before in CT and then in India against Aus. The seem under pressure.
Apart from the innings v Pakistan seems to have a decent strike rate and has eaten low number of dot balls. He did have a good asia cup statistically speaking. That too batting out of position at 4. In the match v Sri lanka he has a strike rate of 80 plus and only 1 four in that. Having a strike rate of less than 50 in T20s apart from fours and boundaries is unacceptable. Rahane, statistically has a good international t20 record as an opener. There is nothing to say he cant do it.
Apart from the innings v Pakistan seems to have a decent strike rate and has eaten low number of dot balls. He did have a good asia cup statistically speaking. That too batting out of position at 4. Rahane, statistically has a good international t20 record as an opener. There is nothing to say he cant do it.
Taking singles is far easier at 4 as field is spread out and there he struggled which cost us the match. If you are talking about dot balls. Lets see what other did. Dhawan 20 runs in 5 boundaries, rest 23 balls 10 runs. Kohli 22 runs in boundaries in 5 balls, rest 27 balls 14 runs. Raina 22 runs in 5 balls, rest 13 runs in 23 balls. So there is not a huge difference between them. I will play Rahane or Pujara as opener in ODIs because they can be far more solid but not in T20s. In T20s, you need guys who have the ability to clear boundaries, hit 6s. Rohit edges Rahane in that department.
Its not just about the stats. Its how a batsman looks at the wicket. India started off extremely slowly 3 overs for 7 runs. Against some ok bowling. Lets keep in mind Rohit bats at the top in the first 6 when the fielders are well within the circle. Kohli came in when the field spread. If you break down Rohit's 24, it was made up of 2 , 6s and 1 4. Thats 16 runs out of 24 scored in shots for which he did not need to run. If we exclude the ball he got out on the rest would mean 8 runs of 17 balls. The dot ball % is high. This innings just highlight's Rohit's problem. Not enough strike rotation and a dot dot dot dot hit approach as an opener. I have seen him play for Mumbai and he comes in at 4 , he is able to rotate the strike from ball 1 due to a spread field. That tells me Rohit cant seem to penetrate the field in the first 6 Secondly as has been mentioned, he cant seem to take the team over the line. Was the set batsman and left India in bit of a lurch when he got out. Raina and Kohli just did not look like they would ever get out. They played out Ajmal. But they could have easily gone up gears and even chased down 160. Rohit never looked liked that.
Good one :hysterical: A players scores 50 with only fours and sixes, lets say 5 fours and five sixes, and he scores 50 in 20 balls. You'd say a poor innings as he consumed 10 dot balls, nice Lahori Logic there. :hysterical: Coming back to the point, where you say Rohit comes in powerplay and doesn't rotate strike much are you not answering your own questions? I agree that his dot ball percentage is high, but criticizing him for innings yesterday is absolutely unfair. He played well while Dhawan on the other hand was clearly struggling. Dhawan took that extra risk and got away with it, it was perhaps his day. But it was Rohit who started the attack, taking risk against Junaid and carting him for a six over cover point. Raina and Kohli batted well, but if you look at Kohli's dot ball, it is 15 out of 32. So around 50% are dots given that he has 5 men out of the ring and can virtually take a single every ball, no? And you say Kohli rotated the strike well :hail: GB stop being biased, I know Rohit has an issue, but this is not the innings that you should pick to justify your stand. This was a good knock under the circumstances, a rare good knock he has played. I am disappointed that he threw away, should have made a 50 not out here, would have been an ideal innings to boost his confidence.