Malaysian airlines mystery

Number

Indian Ocean poses daunting challenge in search for missing Malaysia plane (Reuters) - The southern Indian Ocean, where investigators suspect missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 may have come down, is one place where a commercial airliner can crash without a ship spotting it, a radar plotting it or even a satellite picking it up. The empty expanse of water is one of the most remote places in the world and also one of the deepest, posing potentially enormous challenges for the international search effort now refocusing on the area, one of several possible crash sites. Even Australia, which has island territories in the Indian Ocean and sends rescue planes to pluck stricken yachtsmen from the cold, mountainous seas in the south from time to time, has no radar coverage much beyond its Indian Ocean coast. "In most of Western Australia and almost all of the Indian Ocean, there is almost no radar coverage," an Australian civil aviation authority source said, requesting anonymity as he was not authorised to speak on the record. "If anything is more than 100 kilometres offshore, you don't see it." The Indian Ocean, the world's third largest, has an average depth of more than 12,000 feet, or two miles. That's deeper than the Atlantic where it took two years to find wreckage on the seabed from an Air France plane that vanished in 2009 even though floating debris quickly pointed to the crash site. So far, search operations by navies and aircraft from more than a dozen nations have failed to find even a trace of Flight MH370, which went missing a week ago after taking off from Kuala Lumpur for Beijing and diverting from its intended flight path. The search effort has focused mainly on the South China Sea but is now switching to the Indian Ocean after investigators, having pieced together radar and satellite tracking data, began to suspect the Boeing (BA.N) 777-200ER had been deliberately flown hundreds or possibly thousands of miles off course. Searchers still face a daunting array of possible last locations for the plane, including the northern end of the Indian Ocean as well as central Asia, though investigators say it is more likely to have flown to the south than through busier airspace to the north where it would likely have been detected. With an estimated four hours fuel left when last spotted by radar off Malaysia's northwest coast, the plane could have flown a further 2,200 miles (3,500 km) or so, assuming normal cruising speed and altitude. Officials think, based on the available data, the aircraft flew south until it ran out of fuel and crashed into the sea, according to a source familiar with data the U.S. government is receiving from the investigation. In the south, any debris from MH370 would have been widely dispersed by Indian Ocean currents in the week since it disappeared. SCATTERING OF ISLANDS The southern Indian Ocean, between Indonesia and Australia, is broken up only by the Australian territories of Christmas Island, home to asylum seeker detention facilities, and the Cocos (Keeling) Islands some 2,000 km (1,240 miles) northwest of Perth. The Cocos Islands have a small airport to serve the islands' combined population of just 3,000 people. Further south, the only habitation is the handful of research stations on the scattering of tiny French-run islands including Kerguelen - a group of volcanic outcrops between Africa, Australia and Antarctica. While home to several powerful astronomical scanners and radar, there is no airport and it is seen extremely unlikely the aircraft could have made it that far. The shipping route from Western Australia north to Asia and Europe is considered relatively quiet in global shipping terms, despite the large amount of iron ore and other resources that are shipped from Australia's northwest ports. Ships track north staying close in to the West Australian coastline and then head north through Indonesian waters into the South China Sea or northwest toward the Red Sea. Australia's civil aviation radar extends a maximum of just 200 nautical miles (410 km) off the coast, the civil aviation authority source said, and was used only for monitoring scheduled aircraft on approach into the country and subsequent landings. There are just two primary radars on the west Australian coast, one in Perth and one further north in Paraburdoo, which has even less range and is used to monitor mining traffic heading to the nearby Pilbara region. Australia's Civil Aviation Authority relies on aircraft ADSB (automatic dependent surveillance broadcast) to ping information to commercial satellites, such as telecoms firm Optus' four telecommunications satellites, and back to ground control. The source said that this was the case with flights by Emirates Airlines, which all fly over the Indian Ocean to Australia, but it did not provide a specific radar plot. Australia does not have any government satellites. The Australian military has an over-the-horizon radar network that allows it to observe all air and sea activity north of Australia for up to 3,000 km (1,860 miles). This encompasses all of Java, Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands. While the Jindalee Operational Radar Network (JORN) extends part-way across the northern Indian Ocean, government papers online describe it as a "tripwire" in Australia's northern surveillance system, helping underpin the defense of the country from any attack originating from the north. Local media have said its main use recently has been to track illegal immigrants approaching Australia by boat through the region's largely unguarded northern waters. The Australian Defence Force was not available for comment on Sunday. A potential crash site around 1,600 km (1,000 miles) northwest or west of the Australian coast would be well within the search and rescue area of the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA), one of the largest in the world. An AMSA spokesman said no request for assistance had been received from Malaysia as of Sunday.
http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/03/16/malaysia-airlines-indianocean-idINDEEA2F01T20140316

I can understand the picture ' date='but kindly translate what's being written ;)[/quote'] taliban ne bari maharat ke saath waziristan ke paharon par malaysia ka tayarah utaar kar duniya ke tamaam pilots ko hairaan kar diya. Tamaam pilots ka mazeed tarbiyat ke liye taliban se raabta.

Thanks buddy! .... Many of us feel connected with the issue and want to know what happened to the plane and people on board :icflove:
incredible mystery indeed. By the way, i read a conspiracy theory last night but cant find it... something about the plane being diverted towards Diego Garcia for a suicide mission (like 9/11) and being shot down... I'l try to find it...

incredible mystery indeed. By the way, i read a conspiracy theory last night but cant find it... something about the plane being diverted towards Diego Garcia for a suicide mission (like 9/11) and being shot down... I'l try to find it...
Diego Garcia .. the disputed US base. BTW how did US get a base in the Indian ocean? Did they buy those islands from someone?

DG being a key target has been one of my leading theories - once high profile targets such as the twin towers in KL were spared. The selection of a long range aircraft, heading towards A&N (which tends to switch off its radar), conveniently turning in to the southern Indian Ocean on its way to DG. If the pilots are involved, something as big as DG would provide the required motivation ....There are less complex methods to hurt other areas in the region. But, iirc, US has said that it saw nothing on the systems at DG. So what must have happened? - Change of heart? Nerves? Pilots fooling the hijackers? Navigational systems going bad on the plane so it lost direction to DG? .... **** In b/w all this, China says has 20 satellites looking for missing MH370 China is scanning its Northern region for the plane

btw has anyone read this.. quite interesting.....

Did Malaysian Airlines 370 disappear using SIA68/SQ68 (another 777)? NOTE!!! - Many mistakenly believed I have meant specifically that MH370 flew BEHIND SQ68. When I say shadow, I mean that it may have flown above or below SQ68 slightly. Listening to ATC instructions would have allowed MH370 to stay current on SQ68’s next move. Monday, March 17, 2014 - 12:01 AM EST UPDATED: Monday, March 17, 2014 - 9:00 AM EST Typo was made during the conversion of UTC times. Meeting of SIA68 and MH320 occurred at 18:00UTC - 18:15UTC. MH320 dropped off of civilian radar at 17:22UTC. UPDATE - Monday, March 17, 2014 - 12:15 PM EST Some have raised the statement that TCAS doesn’t work if the transponder is disabled… this is only partially correct. Other planes TCAS would NOT see MH370 at all. MH370 would not actively query other planes as it’s transponder is off HOWEVER it could still listen to any transponder output from other planes that are actively transmitting. SQ68 would have been actively transmitting while in-range of Subang ATC center. Even if TCAS on MH370 wasn’t working for some reason, an in-expensive portable ADS-B receiver paired with an iPad and Foreflight app would allow a pilot to receive the ADS-B output being transmitted by SQ68 at that time. ———————————————————————————————————— By: Keith Ledgerwood As the search for missing flight Malaysian Airlines flight 370 drags on into the 10th day, so many questions continue to remain unanswered about how and why the airliner could have disappeared while seemingly under the control of a skilled pilot intent on making it invisible. With satellite pings showing where the plane could be after more than seven hours of flight, speculation has arisen that the plane could be on the ground anywhere along a path from northern Thailand to the border of Kazakhstan and Turkmenistan. The major roadblock to this theory has been the insistence from India and Pakistan that their radar network showed no such unidentified aircraft entering or traversing their airspace. It would seem highly unlikely given such information that a Boeing 777 could indeed slip through undetected. As a hobby pilot and aviation enthusiast, a theory began to form in my own mind on this 10th day as all of the latest information began to trickle in slowly through media outlets globally. After being unable to escape the idea that it may have happened, I began to do some analysis and research and what I discovered was very troubling to me! Starting with a set of facts that have been made available publically and verified over the past few days, I first plotted MH370’s course onto an aviation IFR map which shows the airways and waypoints used to navigate the skies. I plotted the point where it stopped transmitting ADS-B information at 1721UTC. I then plotted the Malaysian military radar track from that point towards “VAMPIâ€, “GIVALâ€, and then onward toward “IGREX†on P628 ending with where the plane should be at 1815UTC when military radar lost contact. That chart looks like this: image Source: SkyVector.com Nothing profound there… but then I looked to see what other planes were in the air at 1815UTC and I looked to see exactly where they were positioned in the sky and where they were flying. The picture started to develop when I discovered that another Boeing 777 was en-route from Singapore over the Andaman Sea. imageSource: FlightRadar24.com I investigated further and plotted the exact coordinates of Singapore Airlines flight number 68’s location at 1815UTC onto the aviation map. I quickly realized that SIA68 was in the immediate vicinity as the missing MH370 flight at precisely the same time. Moreover, SIA68 was en-route on a heading towards the same IGREX waypoint on airway P628 that the Malaysian military radar had shown MH370 headed towards at precisely the same time. image Source: SkyVector.com It became apparent as I inspected SIA68’s flight path history that MH370 had maneuvered itself directly behind SIA68 at approximately 18:00UTC and over the next 15 minutes had been following SIA68. All the pieces of my theory had been fitting together with the facts that have been publically released and I began to feel a little uneasy. Singapore Airlines Flight 68 proceeded across the Andaman Sea into the Bay of Bengal and finally into India’s airspace. From there it appears to have proceeded across India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, and finally Turkmenistan before proceeding onward across Europe to its final destination of Barcelona, Spain. This map depicts the approximate flight path of SIA flight 68 on that particular day. Additional detail will be required from each countries aviation authorities to establish exact particulars of the route. image Source: SkyVector.com So by now, you may have caught on or you may be scratching your head and wondering if I’ve gone insane! How does SIA68 have anything to do with MH370 disappearing? Remember the one challenge that is currently making everyone doubt that MH370 actually flew to Turkmenistan, Iran, China, or Kyrgyzstan? That challenge is the thought that MH370 couldn’t make it through several key airspaces such as India or Afghanistan without being detected by the military. It is my belief that MH370 likely flew in the shadow of SIA68 through India and Afghanistan airspace. As MH370 was flying “dark†without transponder / ADS-B output, SIA68 would have had no knowledge that MH370 was anywhere around and as it entered Indian airspace, it would have shown up as one single blip on the radar with only the transponder information of SIA68 lighting up ATC and military radar screens. Wouldn’t the SIA68 flight have detected MH370? NO! The Boeing 777 utilizes a TCAS system for traffic avoidance; the system would ordinarily provide alerts and visualization to pilots if another airplane was too close. However that system only operates by receiving the transponder information from other planes and displaying it for the pilot. If MH370 was flying without the transponder, it would have been invisible to SIA68. In addition, the TCAS system onboard MH370 would have enabled the pilot(s) to easily locate and approach SIA68 over the Straits of Malacca as they appeared to have done. The system would have shown them the flight’s direction of travel and the altitude it was traveling which would have enabled them to perfectly time an intercept right behind the other Boeing 777. Here is a picture of a TCAS system onboard a 777. image How does this solve the mystery??? We know MH370 didn’t fly to Spain! Once MH370 had cleared the volatile airspaces and was safe from being detected by military radar sites in India, Pakistan, and Afghanistan it would have been free to break off from the shadow of SIA68 and could have then flown a path to it’s final landing site. There are several locations along the flight path of SIA68 where it could have easily broken contact and flown and landed in Xingjian province, Kyrgyzstan, or Turkmenistan. Each of these final locations would match up almost perfectly with the 7.5 hours of total flight time and trailing SIA68. In addition, these locations are all possibilities that are on the “ARC†and fit with the data provided by Inmarsat from the SATCOM’s last known ping at 01:11UTC. There are too many oddities in this whole story that don’t make sense if this theory isn’t the answer in my opinion. Why did MH370 fly a seemingly haphazard route and suddenly start heading northwest towards the Andaman Islands on P628? If not for this reason, it seems like a rather odd maneuver. The timing and evasive actions seem deliberate. Someone went through great lengths to attempt to become stealthy and disable ACARS, transponder/ADS-B (even though SATCOM to Inmarsat was left powered). After looking at all the details, it is my opinion that MH370 snuck out of the Bay of Bengal using SIA68 as the perfect cover. It entered radar coverage already in the radar shadow of the other 777, stayed there throughout coverage, and then exited SIA68’s shadow and then most likely landed in one of several land locations north of India and Afghanistan. Sources: SkyVector.com, FlightRadar24.com, FlightAware.com, CNN.com, Reuters.com. -Keith L. KeithLCincy@gmail.com

DG being a key target has been one of my leading theories - once high profile targets such as the twin towers in KL were spared. The selection of a long range aircraft, heading towards A&N (which tends to switch off its radar), conveniently turning in to the southern Indian Ocean on its way to DG. If the pilots are involved, something as big as DG would provide the required motivation ....There are less complex methods to hurt other areas in the region. But, iirc, US has said that it saw nothing on the systems at DG. So what must have happened? - Change of heart? Nerves? Pilots fooling the hijackers? Navigational systems going bad on the plane so it lost direction to DG? .... **** In b/w all this, China says has 20 satellites looking for missing MH370 China is scanning its Northern region for the plane
I read a theory that the pilot practised on his simulator about landing on kamikaze'ing on some large fuel tanks in Diego Garcia... ... puts on O2 mask.. Takes the plane at every high altitude till everyone loses consciousness, shuts down communication... takes the flight to diego garcia... but the flight shows on radar, DG sends planes and shoots down MH370. US then offers help to search in every goddamn area to divert attention from DG, while they clean up the debris and stuff... cant find that article... the writer described everything much better than what I am doing...lol

btw has anyone read this.. quite interesting.....
That's possible .... Other theories: a) Fooling radars by flying normal commercial airlines route. As long as the aircraft is flying high, the military monitoring team may have little to suspect (Israel, if I m not wrong, has tried this) b) Changing the aircraft's codes so it is mistaken as some other flight - this is very complex but theoretically possible c) Flying very low - again very risky and ofc the military radar can detect There are so many possibilities, one of the reasons why the news networks kept churning one theory after the other

http://www.haveeru.com.mv/news/54062
Residents of the remote Maldives island of Kuda Huvadhoo in Dhaal Atoll have reported seeing a "low flying jumbo jet" on the morning of the disappearance of the Malaysia Airlines flight MH370. Whilst the disappearance of the Boeing 777 jet, carrying 239 passengers has left the whole world in bewilderment, several residents of Kuda Huvadhoo told Haveeru on Tuesday that they saw a "low flying jumbo jet" at around 6:15am on March 8. They said that it was a white aircraft, with red stripes across it – which is what the Malaysia Airlines flights typically look like. A local aviation expert told Haveeru that it is "likely" for MH370 to have flown over the Maldives. The possibility of any aircraft flying over the island at the reported time is extremely low, the expert added.
A plane was reported to be sighted at 6.15 am in Maldives. Malaysia is 3 hours ahead of Maldives, so it would be around 9.15 am KL time - approx. an hour after the last ping at 8.11 am KL. Possible questions - Did the plane have sufficient fuel (also distance) to get there from the last ping at 8 11 am? Was it on its way to DG?, ....

That's possible .... Other theories: a) Fooling radars by flying normal commercial airlines route. As long as the aircraft is flying high, the military monitoring team may have little to suspect (Israel, if I m not wrong, has tried this) b) Changing the aircraft's codes so it is mistaken as some other flight - this is very complex but theoretically possible c) Flying very low - again very risky and ofc the military radar can detect There are so many possibilities, one of the reasons why the news networks kept churning one theory after the other
From what I have heard its difficult to shadow a plane. If your plan hinges on successfully shadowing another aircraft of a similar size to avoid radar detection, you better practice this maneuver to perfection. I guess the investigators should have learned about this if either pilots were practicing something similar by now. Also Singapore Airlines has said that no plane shadowed its aircrafts.

From what I have heard its difficult to shadow a plane. If your plan hinges on successfully shadowing another aircraft of a similar size to avoid radar detection' date=' you better practice this maneuver to perfection. I guess the investigators should have learned about this if either pilots were practicing something similar by now. Also Singapore Airlines has said that no plane shadowed its aircrafts.[/quote'] Definitely, either shadowing or flying low is extremely difficult but still theoretical possibilities Btw, with the transponder off on MH370, Singapore Airlines plane wouldn't know that it is being shadowed so it is hard for Singapore Airlines to confirm either way. In this case, the MH370 is already evading the civilian radars and the idea to shadow is to evade military radar PS I am not implying that actually happened, just commenting on the theories of how the plane could possibly have evaded military radars

A theory (LINK to the story on WIRED) suggests that the pilot could be trying to land at Palau Langkawi (in Thailand - Malacca Straight Area), a 13,000-foot airstrip with an approach over water and no obstacles. The plane was probably on fire (something reported by the oil rig worker). The pilot was trying to steer the plane to safety. The 45K feet maneuver could have been to deprive the plane of O2 to alleviate fire (is it even possible to do that?) for details refer to the link to WIRED. *** A CNN theory suggests that (link) that plane could have crashed in Malacca-Andaman Area as originally thought (I know it is CNN) In this case, I guess, the dilemma is whether to go by the pings or the last location on radar. Did the plane continue to ping despite the crash (or how reliable is the ping data, was a mistake made somewhere may be in calculations) *** It appears as if two theories could emerge - pilots responded to malfunction vs. hijacking/deliberate plot. And if the plane is not found it is anybody's guess. Even if the plane is found, what insights could it give is still a question, esp. considering that the blackbox records only the last 2 hours PS In all these uncertainty, a lot of questions and not to forget inconsistent info realized by Malaysia, I would not blame those who question if the plane even flew in the first place ....