India needs to find a genuine wicket taking spinner

India have always had good spinners. India are getting a lot more good seamers now with plenty of potential compared to past decades but still India never used to rely on 20 wickets from just seamers. Indian spinners were never there to contain. I say select a spinner, give them a decent run then either keep or cut until we find a genuine wicket taker. Not keeping or cutting as quickly as Aus did before they found Lyon (lyon not a genuine wicket taker but Aus can afford that) but we need to try spinners other than Jadeja and Ashwin. They just lack the skill and penetration to get a test match bat out overseas. Pragyan Ojha should be the first given a run. Done so well at home and in county cricket. He had 1 bad game is Aus A tour, but he has never really had a go overseas. Harbhajan declined in his last 40 tests but even then he occasionally put in solid performances overseas. In NZ India won series, In SA India did great to draw series, in WI he did reasonably well with a bit of luck and India won that series too. Whenever Indian spinners contribute to wickets it takes alot off pressure of seamers. Indian quicks are not like Aussie quicks, they won't get 20 wickets every match. Whenever spinners pick up wickets the series result is never gonna be like the 4-0's which happen now. Enough of this spinner which can bat a bit. Enough of spinner who can keep one end tied down and bowl many overs. We need a strike bowler and Jaddu and Ashwin do not cut it.

we do not have one ...
Aus used approach select and cut after 1 or 2 match. We can try select, give a decent run (2 series) and then keep or cut. Until we find one. But certainly not Ashwin or Jadeja. Better to try find one than not right. Ojha Parveez Rasool Nadeem Harmeet Singh The first 3 have been on A tours, Harmeet has potential. Need to try these guys and Im sure there are others too.
Aus used approach select and cut after 1 or 2 match. We can try select, give a decent run (2 series) and then keep or cut. Until we find one. But certainly not Ashwin or Jadeja. Better to try find one than not right. Ojha Parveez Rasool Nadeem Harmeet Singh The first 3 have been on A tours, Harmeet has potential. Need to try these guys and Im sure there are others too.
forget ojha .. i have seen every little of rasool and nadeem and they do not look like the next best spinner ... do not who harmeet singh.. is any videos?

So Ashwin is given 7 overs to bowl on Day 1, 7 overs to bowl on Day 2, didn't bowl on Day 3 (except for 1 over to Anderson) and we have declared that he isn't a genuine spinner and does not cut it? People need to move away from stats and just scores and see the match and see the way one is bowling and the progress they are making. At this rate, Kumble also would have been discarded in his young days for his overseas failures. Moeen Ali ran through our batting does not mean anything. It was us who were that bad. When faced against a proper spin playing batsman (Ashwin), what could he do? He still bowled well (no doubt about it) but he went from Moeen Muralitharan Ali to just Moeen Ali.

chopping and changing won't work.None of the spinners we have can do well overseas straightaway.Ojha is worse than Ashwin even at home,how will he do better overseas? We need to stick with Ashwin.He looked decent enough for a 5th bbowler and no.7 batsman.So Ashwin and 4 pacers should be the way to go.

chopping and changing won't work.None of the spinners we have can do well overseas straightaway.Ojha is worse than Ashwin even at home,how will he do better overseas? We need to stick with Ashwin.He looked decent enough for a 5th bbowler and no.7 batsman.So Ashwin and 4 pacers should be the way to go.
why not give chance to leg spinner ? it has been prved again and again that leggies are always more of attacking option away from home and almost never useless not even on day 1 because they get more turn but for fifth test i agree with ur post but even ashwin needs to pick wickets
why not give chance to leg spinner ? it has been prved again and again that leggies are always more of attacking option away from home and almost never useless not even on day 1 because they get more turn but for fifth test i agree with ur post but even ashwin needs to pick wickets
Who do we have?Mishra and Chawla have been proved as failures.Then we have young guys who seem more suited to LOIs.I don't see anyone doing well without help in pitch straightaway.Maybe can try Chahal/Karn Sharma but I don't know how they do in longer format.I wish someone young was selected for A tour instead of Mishra
Who do we have?Mishra and Chawla have been proved as failures.Then we have young guys who seem more suited to LOIs.I don't see anyone doing well without help in pitch straightaway.Maybe can try Chahal/Karn Sharma but I don't know how they do in longer format.I wish someone young was selected for A tour instead of Mishra
why cant we pick youngster ? we can pick young batsmen ,we can pick young quick bowlers and debut them but cant we back young leggie ? mishra is a choker other wise even he would have been good choice but he is not good enough mentally
As for Ashwin' date='I think he bowled well just that batsman didnt play like ours did.I think he would have taken wickets in 2nd innings if we had a decent score on board[/quote'] thing is he has not really picked wicket at all even in previous away games even in other formats so this is not first time
thing is he has not really picked wicket at all even in previous away games even in other formats so this is not first time
He looked better here tbh,giving flight instead of bowling negatively and not trying those variations unnecessarily.If he can stick to that he can be good enough option.
why cant we pick youngster ? we can pick young batsmen ,we can pick young quick bowlers and debut them but cant we back young leggie ? mishra is a choker other wise even he would have been good choice but he is not good enough mentally
I am not against that.Back young spinner like Chahal etc.But the problem is that I think 4 pacers are needed,so spinner can only come as 5th bowler which is why he needs to bat well too as we don't have a fast bowling allrounder too.So thats why I am more hopeful of Ashwin

Unless the CSK captain goes, nothing will change... No point discussing... People say why Dhoni is blamed for everything... Well there's a reason. If he would've been fair an unbiased, most of us wouldn't had any issues with him continuing as a Captain... Thing is, he's a wicket keeper captain and he can really control (to a large extent) a bowlers confidence and wicket taking abilities...