Dhoni has retired from Test Cricket with immediate effect

Gambit

'Captain cool' Dhoni broke down after telling teammates about retirement http://www.firstpost.com/sports/captain-cool-dhoni-weeps-announcing-retirement-2024157.html I am the happiest person about this decision. But this one makes me sad. He is amongst the emotionally strongest sportsmen I have seen. Him crying is not something I can easily imagine.
Its Not about being emotionally strong .Its natural .I always felt all his calmness was a mask.Its good to let your feeling out.
For what it's worth' date=' Arnab Goswami was laying into Dhoni saying he retired as he did not want to play under Kohli and that he has shamed the nation. :cantstop: :bird:[/quote'] I love the media. The same guys were saying Dhoni is losing but still hanging on. Then when he retires they ask why now and come up with all sorts of conspiracy theories

I am depressed. Dhoni the captain should have been long gone along with the fat over-paid coach but Dhoni the batsman still has bit of gas left in the tank. I grew up in the era where Indian wicket keepers hardly contributed with the bat and Dhoni was such a refreshing change from a typical spineless Indian wicket keeper bat. I am not sold on Saha. He looks very ordinary to me but he may prove me wrong. Naman Ohja and Sanju Samson show lots of promise but they will have huge shoes to fill.

Dhoni should be banned from representing India ever again

Only two Indian Test players have ever left a series overseas - Lala Amarnath and Navjot Singh Sidhu - both were branded as villains, and traitors... and this gentleman leaves a series, that too as captain, and is then eulogized! His seventh Test series defeat in three and a half years, and we say his 'brand' is still intact. He had not played any competitive cricket for two months before the second Test, and we take him back as both captain and player... Pataudi as captain lost three overseas tours spread over five years - West Indies, England, and Australia - he then led us to our first overseas Test tour victory ever, against New Zealand in early '68 -and for the next overseas tour, he is sacked - Mahendra Singh Dhoni chooses to exit before he is removed - and with arrogance, such blind faith in his image... He should be banned from representing India ever again. He has not only broken his contract, he has broken a sacred bond with those of us who truly love Indian cricket and he does not give a damn. Why? Because he is the corporate favourite, the boss' and the bosses' favourite, and for them losing... or winning is not important, it is all 'brand' and money and such total and utter rubbish. And former players sing his praises, and BCCI lackeys sing his praises, and only a few brave journalists speak the truth. The departure of Dhoni is not only about cricket - it is much more about what has become of much of our country - money is everything, brand is everything, image is everything-history and truth and facts are a waste of time - as long as you are seen on TV everyday, who cares who you really are and what you are really doing... And we will not win the last Test, as we nearly did the first - think of why ---
That's a new low for first post .

From Mongia's cricinfo article

There is more, though, to India's captaincy than just tactics, bowling changes and field sets. The previous long-term captain quit because he couldn't handle all that. Sachin Tendulkar's recent book has proved how difficult even such a consummate professional could be to handle at most times. Dhoni managed all that brilliantly. He rid most of his players of any insecurity. Players found it hard to break into the side, but once they did they were assured decent runs before playing themselves out of it. Outsiders ceased to be a factor in the dressing room. Trust was a big factor. A regular occurrence in the past, players now hardly sulked to journalists. A youngster was left out of the side because he leaked what happened in a team meeting to a journalist.
Anyone know who the youngster is? http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/content/story/815377.html