Indian author gives up writing after Hindu nationalist protests

BeautifulGame

In his campaign Modi talked about things like protecting freedom of expression etc - lets see what his Govt does to control these Hindu outfits who are threatening an author for writing a book? Seems like empty promises if you ask me.
and modi will do so via the law. Modi has not introduced any law which curbs freedom of expression. He cannot stop people from expressing their disgust for the book in a peaceful manner. I believe the author has been provided police protection which implies the state is doing its best to protect freedom of expression. The book is also not legally banned but the publisher has decided to pull it. So this remains a private matter.

and modi will do so via the law. Modi has not introduced any law which curbs freedom of expression. He cannot stop people from expressing their disgust for the book in a peaceful manner. I believe the author has been provided police protection which implies the state is doing its best to protect freedom of expression. The book is also not legally banned but the publisher has decided to pull it. So this remains a private matter.
what about punishing people who are issuing threats? Isn't that part of govt responsibilities? Or it is like some of the muslim groups which criticize the excesses of terrorists but don't defend the rights of victims.

what about punishing people who are issuing threats? Isn't that part of govt responsibilities? Or it is like some of the muslim groups which criticize the excesses of terrorists but don't defend the rights of victims.
ofcourse they should be punished after an investigation and if proof is found they should be prosecuted. However they remains the responsibility of the state government which in this case is the AIADMK. By all means prosecute them if they have anything illegal. But lobbying to get the book banned is not illegal.

Threatening someone isn't exactly peaceful. The Hindu and some other sites are saying that he hasn't been given protection. And I meant Hindu outfits throughout the country who now seem to think that they are ruling the country and are above the law - they seem to be in a habit of "expressing" their views in a violent manner over anything they find offensive. These must be controlled but instead members of RSS and related organizations are being taken into various bodies like ICHR, various HRD Ministry panels, Sensor Board etc.

Threatening someone isn't exactly peaceful. The Hindu and some other sites are saying that he hasn't been given protection. And I meant Hindu outfits throughout the country who now seem to think that they are ruling the country and are above the law - they seem to be in a habit of "expressing" their views in a violent manner over anything they find offensive. These must be controlled but instead members of RSS and related organizations are being taken into various bodies like ICHR, various HRD Ministry panels, Sensor Board etc.
If he has not then the AIADMK should provide him with the same. In the OP i assume he had got police protection based on the issue of being getting threats. I never said threatening someone is legal. But expressing disgusting in the book is not illegal. I can say " I find this book anti hindu and it should be banned". That is my opinion and it is upto me to take my petition to the courts. Again thinking is not a crime. Provided they dont break the law. There is no legal issue arising from the RSS being appointed to any ministry. Dont like it? We live in a democracy then dont vote for the BJP its pretty clear.

My guess is that the protests started only after the universities started using it as an official history of the town
Sorry why would any university have lessons about history of Tiruchengodu ?That too about a private custom of individual families ? Do u have any links for those subjects ? Find it really weird .

Sorry why would any university have lessons about history of Tiruchengodu ?That too about a private custom of individual families ? Do u have any links for those subjects ? Find it really weird .
I dont .. I already said its a "guess"

Unfortunately whenever such incidents happen RSS is the favourite punching bag of everyone..TamilNadu unit of RSS has clearly denied indulging in any protests http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/chennai/we-dont-have-time-for-such-protests-rss/article6782741.ece
Hindu munnani is the front organization for hindutva outfits in Tamil nadu for last 25--30. years

may be.. but in the OP you have used gaurdian as a source and we know how unbiased it is. Check with G_B_
You have picked the guy who has reputation of having most neutral views. :winky: G_B - Please don't see it personally. Your alignment of things is pretty open, just like me.

ofcourse they should be punished after an investigation and if proof is found they should be prosecuted. However they remains the responsibility of the state government which in this case is the AIADMK. By all means prosecute them if they have anything illegal. But lobbying to get the book banned is not illegal.
No. It is not.

I picked G_B_ because his domicile is UK
correct. @Raghav i have not taken it personally. The thing is though newspapers in the UK have their political alignment sort of set in stone. Gaurdian Daily Mirror left wing. Independent centre left. Times/Financial times centre right Telegraph right wing. Daily Mail further right. The Sun changes alignment as per the issue. Its mostly about celeb gossip.

yup he is claims that it is research then it is open to being taken into the court and he should be sued for libel. If he claims its a work of fiction then thats another thing. I feel that Hindutva groups should take him to court for this book where he can back up the facts of his "research". Make him bleed financially through the courts. That should be the aim.

http://m.thehindu.com/news/national/tamil-nadu/perumal-murugan-was-asked-to-exile-himself-by-police/article6792161.ece/ 'Perumal Murugan was asked to exile himself by police'
I was told that the entire campaign against Perumal Murugan has been engineered by certain Hindu outfits. When I spoke to several responsible leaders, all of them told me that they have nothing to do with the agitation against Perumal Murugan. I could only conclude that elements similar to “non-state actors” are on the prowl. Quite a few loose cannons appear to have coalesced together. The persons who signed in the peace minutes had no organizational backing. Caste and religion make a deadly cocktail. Only a strong administration could have dealt with them. It did not. On the other hand, Perumal Murugan was simply thrown to the wolves. Casting pearls before the swine is a futile exercise. But to deadlier beasts, creative freedom is an easy meat.”
There are a lot of caste based custodians at play here. Hindutva groups get thrashed for any kind of protests these days by the extra vigilant media.

Overall the author is getting support from neutral people. It is a caste thing more than a relgious thing. Some Brahamins in TN support. Some don't. Some say for years Brahmins are shown in poor light in movies yet they don't protest out fear for whatever reason but other castes strong protest even at the slightest insult. So his novel is about specific practice of a caste. Funny thing is this novel came 2 years back lol. Not now.