160 lead, how much more we need?

Chaos

In the 2001 test, Ganguly declared on 5th day after batting 13 overs, put on 68 runs and gave Australia 384 to score in 75 overs. Here, prolly will do that same. Bat for 13 overs put some 70-75 runs gave a targer of 375 in 75 overs. That is about 2.5 sessions. That is an impossible target, so we safeguard the draw first and then hope to win. We will still be ahead in the series.

In the 2001 test, Ganguly declared on 5th day after batting 13 overs, put on 68 runs and gave Australia 384 to score in 75 overs. Here, prolly will do that same. Bat for 13 overs put some 70-75 runs gave a targer of 375 in 75 overs. That is about 2.5 sessions. That is an impossible target, so we safeguard the draw first and then hope to win. We will still be ahead in the series.
India doesn't need to secure a draw anymore. 300 is impossible to chase on the 5th day; there is no way PAK will even come to close to it. History shows that this never happens in the subcontinent. They will go for a draw, which would be an excellent result for them. 2001 vs AUS was different since the pitch had started cracking - hasn't happened here yet. I know it's unlikely, but i hope Kumble declares first thing in the morning and puts their batsmen in. Judging by the way Pakistan played their first innings here and previously in Delhi, India will need as many overs as they can get to bowl them out. Tailenders like Sami and Tanvir lengthen their batting lineup, and let's not forget the Y's - their runs are long overdue now and what better time to score than on the 5th day.
In the 2001 test' date=' Ganguly declared on 5th day after batting 13 overs, put on 68 runs and gave [b']Australia 384 to score in 75 overs. Here, prolly will do that same. Bat for 13 overs put some 70-75 runs gave a targer of 375 in 75 overs. That is about 2.5 sessions. That is an impossible target, so we safeguard the draw first and then hope to win. We will still be ahead in the series.
I agree with what Arun Lal said yesterday - I'm sure many ICF-ers will not agree. We need to set them a RRR of 5.0 (A.Lal said 4.5-5.0 preferably 5.0) We are 1-0 up and we need to ensure we cannot lose this Test first. If Afridi was there it would have been risky to set a lower RR - he may be sh.t, but on his day (be it day 5 or day 1) he can cause damage. Even if Afridi is not there, why take unnecessary chance when we are 1-0 up? It'll be ridiculous if Pak pull off a historical win of sorts because we declare prematurely? Lets set them a stiff, stiff target.
I agree with what Arun Lal said yesterday - I'm sure many ICF-ers will not agree. We need to set them a RRR of 5.0 (A.Lal said 4.5-5.0 preferably 5.0) We are 1-0 up and we need to ensure we cannot lose this Test first. If Afridi was there it would have been risky to set a lower RR - he may be sh.t, but on his day (be it day 5 or day 1) he can cause damage. Even if Afridi is not there, why take unnecessary chance when we are 1-0 up? It'll be ridiculous if Pak pull off a historical win of sorts because we declare prematurely? Lets set them a stiff, stiff target.
Exactly. I'm not getting the "declare first thing in the morning" talk. We're already up 1-0 in this series. Why take a risk? And while 300 may have never been done on a final day in India, that doesn't mean it is an impossibility. It has still proven to be unbelievably tough to get a batsman out on this pitch. Especially if the batsman doesn't wanna get out. Keeping the RR low has been another issue. 1 quick partnetship can change everything if we set 'em a low target. Nobody on either team had any difficulty batting yesterday. Kaneria was hard to score against when he went around the wicket, but he wasn't taking wickets when the batsman went on the defensive. Plus we don't even have a spinner who can exploit the rough and put a lid on the scoring like him. Leaving Pakistan a target of 300-325 would be major STUPIDITY. 1 hour of 5-6+ rpo tomorrow morning is a MUST before declaring.
Bat for 30 minutes and score 30-40 runs... and pray for the pitch to crumble like papad
*India* controls this match and will take an Indian win or draw. So, the ones who need to pray should be Pak :D Just make sure RRR >= 5.0 for Pak to chase, and dont declare too early.