Speed and performance of medium pacers, trundlers and fast bowlers in Ipl

vishalvirsingh

At least pace wise, both Ishant and Yadav seem to be in good rhythm. Our bowlers in the Asia cup and WT20 looked below average in terms of pace when compared to other teams.

Ishant took some early wickets in his first match while Yadav's effort of 21 runs in 3 overs is decent considering the format.  Hopefully Yadav, Ishant and Aaron get better at bowling yorkers and with their variations. Otherwise, all three can be good enough even in LOIs.  Don't think we should tinker with our test line up. 

Quite disappointed with the non selection of Shami.  This was always going to be a issue when Zaheer was made the captain. Also don't understand the logic of selecting both Coulternile and Morris. Poor strategy from Dravid and co.  Having said that, It looks like Coulternile will be dropped and Shami brought back in the subsequent matches.  

RCB  vs.   SRH

Speed ranges of most deliveries ( excluding slower balls )

Bhuvneshwar    133  k   to 139  k   ( bowled an one off delivery  at 149 k   )

Nehra  133 k   to   140  k  

Harshall  Patel  136 k to 141 k  

Bhuvi had a bad day and was hit for 57 runs off his 4 overs and picked up 2 wickets. He was missing his yorkers by 6 inches and they became full tosses. The way he yorked Kohli was a good ball though.

Nehra was injured after 2 overs

Edited by express bowling

1 hour ago, MK55 said:

IPL's been disappointing so far. I was looking forward to Umesh, Aaron and Shami getting some chances and watch them improve. They aren't even being selected.  

I want to see Aaron, Umesh, Ishant, Shami, Bumrah, Pandya bowl .....and young quicks like Nathu ,Rajpoot, Khaleel, Suyal and Milind.

But getting to see the Rajat Bhatias of the world bowl most of the times.

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

I want to see Aaron, Umesh, Ishant, Shami, Bumrah, Pandya bowl .....and young quicks like Nathu ,Rajpoot, Khaleel, Suyal and Milind.

But getting to see Rajat Bhatias of the world bowl most of the times.

T20s are not for fast bowlers at all. It is tailor made for spinners and slower bowlers.

2 hours ago, express bowling said:

But getting to see the Rajat Bhatias of the world bowl most of the times.

Still early days but look at the number of trundlers who have got a game vs quicker bowlers who have bowled till now.

Trundlers : Mohit, BK, Sandeep, Praveen, Bhatia, Zaheer, RP, Nehra, Vinay. Reddy, Sangwan :facepalm: 

Fast bowlers : Ishant, Yadav, Bumrah

1 hour ago, Mosher said:

Still early days but look at the number of trundlers who have got a game vs quicker bowlers who have bowled till now.

Trundlers : Mohit, BK, Sandeep, Praveen, Bhatia, Zaheer, RP, Nehra, Vinay. Reddy, Sangwan :facepalm: 

Fast bowlers : Ishant, Yadav, Bumrah

Raina has dropped Sangwan on a green top today .....looks like he belongs to a league of his own.

13 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Raina has dropped Sangwan on a green top today .....looks like he belongs to a league of his own.

Even on a green top fast bowlers are dropped :mad: . If the quicker bowlers keep getting dropped from the playing 11 like this and if they don't get enough chances to play in the most lucrative T20 league. Then who would want to be a fast bowler in India???

2 minutes ago, Mosher said:

Even on a green top fast bowlers are dropped :mad: . If the quicker bowlers keep getting dropped from the playing 11 like this and if they don't get enough chances to play in the most lucrative T20 league. Then who would want to be a fast bowler in India???

This is my biggest concern.

4 hours ago, express bowling said:

Some of the top T20I bowlers include  Malinga, Gul, Steyn, Broad,  ...and Starc is shaping up very well.  Johnson has done well too.

Steyn is average. Broad didn't play even for England. Gul is nowhere. Starc and Malinga have been good because they can bowl yorkers.

15 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Steyn is average. Broad didn't play even for England. Gul is nowhere. Starc and Malinga have been good because they can bowl yorkers.

You are talking about 2016 only....I am talking about the entire history of T20Is and the entire T20I careers of these bowlers.

Gul has 85 wickets from 60 matches at an average of 17,  ER of  7.2

Steyn has 58 wickets from 42 matches at an average of 17.3 ,  ER of 6.7

Broad has 65 wickets from 56 matches  @ 22.9  , ER of  7.6

Even Johnson and Morkel have done well.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/records/283194.html

I am unable to find any slow-medium pacers who have done better than this in T20Is.  Only Kulasekhara, who is medium pace, is at par with these guys.

KKR  vs  SRH  ( league game )

Speed ranges of most deliveries ( excluding slower balls )

Umesh    138  k  to 145 k   (  I have watched part of it and read  about the rest from Mosher )

Bhuvi   132 k to 140 k

Saran  132 k to 137 k   ( I did not watch his last over )

Umesh has bowled well today and picked up 3 wickets for 28 runs only.     In the last over he bowled 2 good fast yorkers and some decent slower deliveries.  

Bhuvi bowled a lot of short balls today. Some good and some not so. Got some bounce though. he was getting swing in his initial overs.

Sran looked like the same bowler that we saw in Australia. Was not impressed with his pace. Got some swing though.   He is not international class yet.