Crime against women in India | Discussion thread

Detonator

@Tibarn Thank you for the detailed post. My basis was not the clients fear. That is just the example. I can check with her why she had the fear. Did not bother to do it that time. Should have. will do now and share back here. Do not think it is the media alone responsible. Foreigners also have been raped in India and that does create news in their respective countries. 

I did not want the discussion to go outside India. Intention was to keep the focus on India, states and what are we doing, essentially second half of your post. I dont know which websites. That will be good info if you can share. 911 type facility is great if available. Is it working? I don't know either. Yeah the same amber alert. Can it work in India? Worth a try even if for the current cell phone penetration.

Fair point on the research. Without that what is giving the majority of us, the confidence that everything is being done to sort this out. What is your opinion on highlighting other countries stats to undermine this problem?

7 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Is there a solution to this problem?

There is a need to have a system that builds stronger values and change the archetypal attitude against women

It is not just crime against women, it is sad to see a large number young children beg on street. Children being employed is criminal. Senior citizens are known to suffer. Less said about animal abuse, the better  

1 hour ago, Haarkarjeetgaye said:

I dont know which websites.

http://ncrb.nic.in/

This one keeps all crime statistics for the country that exist. 

To know any policies a state government does, one should go to the state home ministry websites, and they should go to central home ministry for any policies from the center. 

Since you're from Haryana,

Here is the Haryana government website:

http://haryanacmoffice.gov.in/governance-track-record

Under the police section, the current Haryana government claims these actions were taken thus far:

Spoiler
  • Extensively use of Information Technology in Police Department has been made for the prevention of crime and strengthening of law and order. Citizen portal ‘Harsamay’ has been set up, under which people can register FIR by sitting at home. The web address of this portal is www.harsamay.com
  • Zero FIR concept has been adopted for removing obstacles in the registration of FIR. Now FIR can be registered at any police station of the state, irrespective of the place of occurrence of the incident.
  • ‘Road Safety Fund’ of Police Department has been sanctioned to reduce the occurrence of road accidents and for ensuring smooth flow of traffic.
  • With an aim to end crime, PCR vans and 500 rider motor cycles are being made available.
  • In order to establish a better coordination between government and public and to increase their participation in development works, ‘CM web portal’ has been launched at www.haryanacmoffice.gov.in. Through this web portal, information related to government policies, programmes and projects is disseminated and suggestions are also invited to ensure public participation in governance.
  • In order to put an end to corruption, State Vigilance Bureau is being made more active, alert and modern. In the regime of present government, the State Vigilance Bureau has investigated 39 cases of theft of revenue. In this investigation, 16 enquiries and 33 officers or officials were found guilty and recover of Rs 15.11 lakh has been recommended from them.
  • In the present Government regime, the State Vigilance Bureau has recorded 30 enquiries. The main scams to be enquired included Panchkula Kaushalaya Dam scam, irregularities in the appointment of HCS, MGNREGA scam of Ambala and scam of 8,012 sq feet government land in NIT Faridabad.
  • The birth anniversary of the former Prime Minister, Bharat Ratna, Mr Atal Bihari Vajpayee and Bharat Ratna Mr Madan Mohan Malaviya on December 25 was celebrated as ‘Good Governance Day’.
  • Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Jayanati on October 31 was celebrated as ‘Rashtriya Ekta Diwas’.
  • With a view to realize the dream of Swachh Bharat of the Prime Minister, Mr Narendra Modi, the Chief Minister Mr Manohar Lal launched Swachh Haryana-Swachh Bharat campaign on the occasion of Haryana Day on November 1, 2014, from district Faridabad. This campaign was run throughout Haryana from November 1 to 7, 2014.

^Those are what the Khattar government claims it has done to improve law and order in the state. 

Then you can look at their press releases from the same website, which covers all the press releases of the CM's office since Khattar took over

http://haryanacmoffice.gov.in/newsupdates 

Then you can use your state Home Ministry website to search for anything.

http://homeharyana.gov.in/

Anything you don't find there, such as acts of the previous Hooda government, you will have to contact your Home Ministry with the contact us page on the website or follow the file an RTI process.

You are supposed to be able to follow the process for each individual state. So, using the Home and CM's office of Karnataka websites, you are supposed to be able to compare any data they have. If different state governments don't have the data there on their websites, you will have to do the aforementioned method of using the contact us features of their websites or going to the extent of filing an RTI. They have to provide that kind of information with an RTI.  

1 hour ago, Haarkarjeetgaye said:

911 type facility is great if available. Is it working?

Honestly, because India doesn't have a single language, there needs to be separate emergency facilities on a state by state level, set up by their individual state governments. However, it would be better if there is only 1 emergency number across states, as visitors to states need to be able to use the same number if they are in trouble but calls should get funneled to a center depending on the state one makes the call from. If a crime victim only speaks Telugu, they won't be helped by a facility operated outside of Andhra/Telangana where the emergency operator doesn't speak a language the victim doesn't know.     

As far as I know we don't have that thus far in India. 

That would be a good idea for a party to adopt as part of an election manifesto. 

You might be interested in looking up Rakesh Asthana, the former police commissioner of Surat, Gujarat and his Safe City Project

Here's a short video describing some of it, but you should google search it to learn more. I think every city should follow this model.

Another thing in India is that 

https://india.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/16/india-has-one-of-the-lowest-police-population-ratios-in-the-world/?mcubz=2

On the basis of police per capita, India is the second lowest among 50 countries ranked using data from the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime from 2010. Police forces around the world are commonly measured as the number of police per 100,000 people, and India has 129. Only Uganda fares worse.

While this ratio has increased significantly in India over the last decade, it remains far behind many other major economies. (The worldwide average is closer to 350).

Scotland, for example, has around 330 officers per 100,000; South Africa had 327, the United States had 238 officers, and Canada had 201, according to 2011 data.

Not surprisingly, some studies suggest that adding police officers reduces crime. “A nation with a larger proportion of police officers is somewhat more likely to have a lower crime rate,” said a 2006 report by the Institute for the Study of Civil Society, which looked at law enforcement data from European countries.

Surat has an even worse ratio of police, something like 90 per 100k people, but the surveillance technology used has helped the police reduce crime even though they are undermanned. 

last year a girl was thrown in a hole and was getting beat up because she was muslim and then was gang raped later

its things like these india will never rise to its fullest potential. we will always be someones bitch. we teach racism in school, different cast kids are forced to wear different color uniform. hate against muslims, torture, rape. this all made me hate india and never step foot in the country and thank god I haven't looked back ever since i left that vile land

m.timesofindia.com/india/court-turns-down-10-year-old-rape-survivors-plea-to-abort/articleshow/59657971.cms 

* 10 yr old girl was repeatedly raped by her maternal uncle

* The 10 yr old gets pregnant (a rarity)

* Court does not allow abortion citing "outside 20 wk period" clause

Sad news. At times, I keep asking myself is Ind going to the dogs. Where has common sense gone? Why should the 10 yr old kid suffer?

No kid should suffer like this in any self respecting society. The country is heading in the direction where extreme measures could be needed to fix it 

Edited by zen

http://m.timesofindia.com/city/thiruvananthapuram/sexual-assault-case-congress-mla-vincent-arrested/articleshow/59713282.cms

Kerela MLA arrested 

The case pertains to alleged intimidation and rape of a 51-year-old woman of Balaramapuram by MLA M Vincent. The woman, who also resides in the same neighbourhood of the MLA at Balaramapuram, had attempted suicide by consuming excess quantities of sedatives on Wednesday afternoon, following which the police registered a case.

Edited by zen

http://www.republicworld.com/s/3395/15-year-old-delivers-baby-inside-school-washroom

"She reportedly told the police that she was raped four-five times by her 51-year-old neighbour during the past one year. The accused used to give money to the girl asking her not to inform anyone about his activities, police said.

The accused was later identified by the girl and arrested on Saturday. He hails from Bihar and works as an autorickshaw driver in Delhi, they said."