Difference Between Kaptaan Kool and Kohli

putrevus

Allthough, it is just one series win, but it wasnt easy. After first test loss against Sri Lankans , I though that was it. But fortunately MSD had retired. Similar thing happened in Australia too. In games where MSD wasnt there to dictate, Same team faught well. MSD gave up interest or hope to win the game far too easily. I don't think he understood test cricket as important to odis.

that is true but isnt it captain's job to build a team and oversee that bowlers improve. Dhoni wasn't that kind of captain. He was a captain' date=' not a leader. [b']He would care about cricket only till he is on the field or playing cricket. After that, he wont even pick his phone up if supposedly a player tried to talk to him. He would try to get the best of what is at his disposal rather than improving things.
Do we have evidence that other captains cared about cricket 24 X 7? IMHO, Dhoni's workload was phenomenal. He was the captain, wicket keeper and a batsman in three formats of the game, and had practically no rest. Wicket keeping itself is a strenuous job and it does not go well with captaincy which comes with its own pressures and workload. On the top of that, Dhoni was a top batsman too. Number of international matches in which a player was captain + wicket keeper. (in the order tests, ODIs, T20s) Dhoni 60 181 49 = 290 Rahim 21 30 23 = 74 Flower 16 46 = 62 Stewart 12 39 = 51 Taibu 10 29 = 39 Ramdin 13 = 13 Moin 13 34 = 47 Gilchrist 6 17 2 = 25 Sanga 0 45 22 = 67 AB 0 30 11 = 41 Baz 1 13 13 = 27 Latif 0 25 = 25 Dravid 0 5 = 5 Dhoni has captained and kept in four times as many matches compared to his nearest rival and even more compared to other illustrious names out there. Dhoni has taken on a kind of burden very few have dared to in cricket. Wicket keeping + captaincy is enormous workload, and these two are actually contradictory job profiles. Wicket keeper has to be fully focused on the wicket and the bowler to be successful. But captain has to be thinking about the whole game all the time. To be a wicket keeper and a captain together calls for unusual skills, being able to focus on part as well the whole at the same time. Which is why very few cricketers have been successful as wicket keeper captains in the history of the game. Dhoni is the only exception in history. I don't think Dhoni gets the credit he deserves.
Do we have evidence that other captains cared about cricket 24 X 7? IMHO, Dhoni's workload was phenomenal. He was the captain, wicket keeper and a batsman in three formats of the game, and had practically no rest. Wicket keeping itself is a strenuous job and it does not go well with captaincy which comes with its own pressures and workload. On the top of that, Dhoni was a top batsman too. Number of international matches in which a player was captain + wicket keeper. (in the order tests, ODIs, T20s) Dhoni 60 181 49 = 290 Rahim 21 30 23 = 74 Flower 16 46 = 62 Stewart 12 39 = 51 Taibu 10 29 = 39 Ramdin 13 = 13 Moin 13 34 = 47 Gilchrist 6 17 2 = 25 Sanga 0 45 22 = 67 AB 0 30 11 = 41 Baz 1 13 13 = 27 Latif 0 25 = 25 Dravid 0 5 = 5 Dhoni has captained and kept in four times as many matches compared to his nearest rival and even more compared to other illustrious names out there. Dhoni has taken on a kind of burden very few have dared to in cricket. Wicket keeping + captaincy is enormous workload, and these two are actually contradictory job profiles. Wicket keeper has to be fully focused on the wicket and the bowler to be successful. But captain has to be thinking about the whole game all the time. To be a wicket keeper and a captain together calls for unusual skills, being able to focus on part as well the whole at the same time. Which is why very few cricketers have been successful as wicket keeper captains in the history of the game. Dhoni is the only exception in history. I don't think Dhoni gets the credit he deserves.
These are just excuses. Dravid resigned after a successful England tour. If he wanted, he could easily have carried on for next 3-4 years till his retirement like Dhoni did. While Dhoni did it after 4 years of humiliation in test cricket that too only when he retired from test cricket. There in lies the difference. If it was such a workload, why didn't he quit the captaincy because not easy for Dhoni's ego to give up captaincy and play as a player.
that is true but isnt it captain's job to build a team and oversee that bowlers improve. Dhoni wasn't that kind of captain. He was a captain' date=' not a leader. He would care about cricket only till he is on the field or playing cricket. After that, he wont even pick his phone up if supposedly a player tried to talk to him. He would try to get the best of what is at his disposal rather than improving things.[/quote'] I want to know where do we get all these info about him picking the class or not ? dosent media give you the impression that Virat cares more about Anushka even when hes on the field ?
These are just excuses. Dravid resigned after a successful England tour. If he wanted' date=' he could easily have carried on for next 3-4 years till his retirement like Dhoni did. [b']While Dhoni did it after 4 years of humiliation in test cricket that too only when he retired from test cricket. There in lies the difference. If it was such a workload, why didn't he quit the captaincy because not easy for Dhoni's ego to give up captaincy and play as a player.
Who was the replacement for Dhoni between 2012-2014? May I know? Select one from among the following names. Sehwag, Gambhir, Bhajji, Zaheer - all these players had declined to the point that they were not even sure of their places in the side. Kohli, Pujara, Ashwin,Vijay,Rahane,Dhawan,Bhuvi, Shami, Yadav - all youngsters who had just debuted in tests. Obviously between 2012-2014 none of these were options. Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman - retired from tests So who was the most suitable captain for replacing Dhoni before 2015. Let me know. Ok I got it now - the right candidates were Jadeja, Rohit and Ishant!! Sure, these players would have captained India to win in SA, England, Australia and NZ.
Difference is that when Dhoni took his team to SL in 2010' date=' SL had Dilshan, Sanga, Jayawardane, Samaraweera and Murali too ( add Herath and Matthews ).[/quote'] India had Sehwag, Gauti, RD, Laxman, Sachin, Zak too. Kohli is definitely proving to be a better test captain than MS, there is no denying that. MS got pretty stale after a good start and simply could not resurrect the downslide (although team should share the blame for it too). Captaincy change does bring about a fresh energy in team, task for Kohli would be to maintain this intensity. Especially in a long series like the next one.
Difference is that when Dhoni took his team to SL in 2010' date=' SL had Dilshan, Sanga, Jayawardane, Samaraweera and Murali too ( add Herath and Matthews ).[/quote'] I would not have expected Dhoni to come back in a series after being down 0-1 regardless of strengths of teams. Infact India lost its main opener for 2 tests. Plus we had a guy who was screwing up everyone's position :cantstop: . Dhawan injured, Saha injured. ALso but for horrible umpiring it would have been 3-0 for us. Even at in the first in Australia Kohli went after win on day 5. Again we were butchered by the umpire.
I would not have expected Dhoni to come back in a series after being down 0-1 regardless of strengths of teams. Infact India lost its main opener for 2 tests. Plus we had a guy who was screwing up everyone's position :cantstop: . Dhawan injured' date=' Saha injured. ALso but for horrible umpiring it would have been 3-0 for us. Even at in the first in Australia Kohli went after win on day 5. Again we were butchered by the umpire.[/quote'] My point is - look at opposition too. This SL team is NOT a PATCH on the one Dhoni's team faced. There are TWO teams competing. No point looking at just ONE team and going on and on about it. Beating a Clive Lloyd led WI of 70s is different from beating a Jason Holder led WI team today. No?
I would not have expected Dhoni to come back in a series after being down 0-1 regardless of strengths of teams. Infact India lost its main opener for 2 tests. Plus we had a guy who was screwing up everyone's position :cantstop: . Dhawan injured' date= Saha injured. ALso but for horrible umpiring it would have been 3-0 for us. Even at in the first in Australia Kohli went after win on day 5. Again we were butchered by the umpire.
Exactly. Dhoni absolutely didnt care what happen to series after going down 0-1. Our pathetic run in England and tests in general, started with that one Bell recall where Dhoni let Indian team and fans down just to avoid few crowd boos. If only, He would have given middle fingers salute to Trent Bridge crowd instead of recalling Bell, result of the series may have been different

Dhoni is someone who decided not to chase 85 runs with 7 wickets in hand because he was 1-0 ahead in the series. Kohli would never do that. I am not sure how good Kohli would be tactically against the top teams but I have absolutely no doubt that he values test cricket way more than Dhoni.

Dhoni is someone who decided not to chase 85 runs with 7 wickets in hand because he was 1-0 ahead in the series. Kohli would never do that. I am not sure how good Kohli would be tactically against the top teams but I have absolutely no doubt that he values test cricket way more than Dhoni.
It was an impossible chase. Did you watch the match? WI bowlers started bowling on the leg side (those would have been wides in ODIs but in test matches the batsmen can do little against that kind of negative bowling) once they realized India were going for the target. India required around 90 off 15 when the chase was called off but India has scored only 28 off the last 13 overs due to WI negative tactics.
Exactly. Dhoni absolutely didnt care what happen to series after going down 0-1. Our pathetic run in England and tests in general' date=' started with that one Bell recall where Dhoni let Indian team and fans down just to avoid few crowd boos. If only, He would have given middle fingers salute to Trent Bridge crowd instead of recalling Bell, result of the series may have been different[/quote'] No way. Bell dismissal would have made no difference to the match. England was on 254/3 when Bell got out, they had already taken a lead of 200 when Dhoni recalled Bell. Bell scored only 23 more runs after the recall in a match England won by 319 runs. Yeah, the win margin might have gone below 300 for England, but the outcome of the match was never in question.
Which test was this ?