Starc Clocks 160.4km/h or 99.6m

CG

Human body hasn't changed in last 30-40 years , There were very few bowlers that were considered as fearsome , while 140 is  not something which can be achieved by very few. Even today few Afghan bowlers can bowl 140 ,if 140 was considered such a deadly then all bowlers of that era from England , Australia , and West Indies should have been considered as fearsome , but very few achieved  the title of fearsome, 

Yes I agree with you that 140 may look like 95 mph  then what real 95 will look like to them?

The trained human body has actually changed a lot between 1980 and 2000. Just check out the bodybuilders of both these years. Also check the athletes. Far better training techniques using bio-mechanics, food supplements, energy drinks etc. have made trained sportsmen fitter, stronger, faster and with improved endurance...but also susceptible to more injuries often due to lack of recuperation time after training. Performance and fitness of fielders of the 2 eras would give a clear indication of this fact.

It is possible that an one off talent like Thomson was really quick..but the average international pacers in 1975 or 1980 cannot be quicker than the average ones today.

I have seen only Shoaib Akhtar and Brett Lee go over 150 k on a consistent basis. All the others are in a few matches here and there.

But still johnson, starc, tait frequently goes above 150. so many others have gone above 150 as well even though not frequently. likes of bond, milne, edwards, sami, etc

so to think thompson, roberts, holding, waqar, donald, .. can't do the same is not making sense to me.

,if 140 was considered such a deadly then all bowlers of that era from England , Australia , and West Indies should have been considered as fearsome , but very few achieved  the title of fearsome, 

What makes you  think that all bowlers of that era from WI, Australia and Eng bowled 140 k ?  Even today there are only a handful  who can do it regularly, match after match.

Fearsome bowlers are not necessarily those with the quickest release speeds.  Umesh and Aaron have similar release speeds and similar height but Aaron is more fearsome than Umesh. This quality stems from the ability to bowl good bouncers that are high due to steeper bounce, directed at the body, getting skid off the deck, create a certain deception to the batsman as a result of the bowling action and speed of the ball while playing it as compared to the speed of release etc.

But still johnson, starc, tait frequently goes above 150. so many others have gone above 150 as well even though not frequently. likes of bond, milne, edwards, sami, etc

so to think thompson, roberts, holding, waqar, donald, .. can't do the same is not making sense to me.

Starc and Johnson are 137 k to 150 k bowlers generally...150 K + deliveries are not that common.

We are not really discussing occasional 150 K + deliveries here but  the general speed range of a pacer in his faster days. Like Ishant has clocked 152 K but I would consider his general faster spells to be 135 k to 145 k.

It is quite possible that Donald and Waqar have bowled some 150 K + deliveries in their fastest spells. But that was not their general pace range during their faster years.

Thompson was a freak of nature and much faster than his contemporaries. He had an action like a Javelin throw and it is quite possible that he too had bowled quite a few 150 k + deliveries in his best years.

But I find it hard to believe that the other quicker  pacers from the '70s and '80s were as quick as the faster pacers after 1995. This is based on the facts I have discussed in the above posts like superior training after 1995 pertaining to strength, stamina, speed, flexibility etc. along with much better food supplements, energy drinks, etc. These factors have also produced significantly  better athletes, bodybuilders etc. after 1995. Like Rkt said...Athletes today can cover 100 meters in less than 9.7 seconds. Could they do that in 70s-80s.

Edited by express bowling

The trained human body has actually changed a lot between 1980 and 2000. Just check out the bodybuilders of both these years. Also check the athletes. Far better training techniques using bio-mechanics, food supplements, energy drinks etc. have made trained sportsmen fitter, stronger, faster and with improved endurance...but also susceptible to more injuries often due to lack of recuperation time after training. Performance and fitness of fielders of the 2 eras would give a clear indication of this fact.

It is possible that an one off talent like Thomson was really quick..but the average international pacers in 1975 or 1980 cannot be quicker than the average ones today.

Agree that today athletes are 2-3% quicker , but in cricket you cannot say that. The record is held by Shoaib Akhtar which is from third world nation , how much modern training better equipments food supplements  he got in 1999 , but even he was fastest at that time.

Even with best training and facilities Australian bowlers are unable to break that record and still even after 12 years no bowler is able to break that record 

Shoaib had an idol in Imran to bowl really fast. Coming to current bowlers, they have a target, they know what 100mph is and how was it is. They can measure it, they have seen bowlers bowling it in front of them. The bowlers of yesteryears didnt even have these yardsticks. Neither the batsmen. Wasim Akram bowling at 135 will feel way quicker than Bhuvi bowling at 135 ( because of the awkward action n swing ). And the batsmen will also swear that Akram would be faster at the same speed.

Another example of how hyped the Paki bowlers of the past were, as also the other bowlers from the world. Look at this video of Waqar and Wasim, when they were at their fastest, 1994! Listen to the comments about the Waqar Younis delievery at 00.38. Listen to the commentary from 1.40 to 1.48. The commentator clearly says it was clocked at 133kph!!!! Thats just 83 mph. 

While Wasim Akram in his 1 delievery looks just military medium. And this was the time when they were at their full pace, bowling abroad and bowling in just a one day!

[url=https://www.youtube.com/embed/_l1LPwYC-LE?feature=oembed]

Going by your posts..You seem to be rather butt hurt about Pak fast bowlers. Speed guns in those days were nowhere near accurate.

i remember attapatu saying that he couldn't see the ball,it was that fast!! lee was seriously quick,so was actor but the fastest over I believe was the one tait bowled to farhat in a t20 in 2010 ,haddin was standing way way back 

Watch Brett Lee's NZ video I posted above 

Athletes today can cover 100 meters in less than 9.7 seconds. Could they do that in 70s-80s.

Akthars case clearly shows that extreme speeds can be generated without any mordern scientific training regimes.

But I must say these are only educated guesses as there is no proof of exact speed of bowlers from 70s and 80s.