Update:Rate Ganguly's All time XI & Sky sports team (Ramiz, Artheton, Warne) 90's and current XI .Pick yoursss........

24 minutes ago, rett said:

It is a decent 11 composed of players he played with or debuted after his retirement 

Since the batting is already too strong, Ganguly could try to bring in someone like Ambrose or Akram (left arm option) in place of one of the batsmen. He has picked Kallis as an all-rounder but it is hard for me to see Kallis as a first change pace bowler vs someone who can change the game with the ball such as Ambrose or Akram 

My test 11:

Gavaskar

Richards (iirc opened a few times, but avg 58 or something like that at 3) 

Bradman

Lara

Sobers

Gilly 

Marshall

Warne

Akram or Ambrose

McGrath 

Murali

Bradman = 2 batsmen 

No Sachin? and you have 4 No.3 batsman in the line up.....Sachin makes it on owning the No.4 position alone....also you have 2 of the biggest bunnies ever in Murali and Mcgrath.....add Marshall and Ambrose...team is very weak and prone to collapses

1 minute ago, rett said:

Those are two good spin options but remember when you are picking an AT11, you are probably picking it to play vs another AT11. So to get the players of that AT 11 out (and avoid picking Murali - your 11 has a lot of left handers as well), you could have both Warne and Murali by droping one of Hayden or Sehwag and opening with Viv (who is one of ATG top 10 batsmen and he has opened too) .... And Bradman = 2 batsmen (based on his avg) so you are covered in batting  

I have never been a gr8 fan of murali. I think i have enough bowling and warne was superb against Left handers. 

If i have to pick one more bowler it would be someone like Holding thompson garner a very different kind of bowler who wont let u breathe easy. 

If i had to keep in mind playing against opp ATG surely i would have had VVS as he was superb against Mcgrath n Warne and tedulkar again would have sneaked in. We can select and all time by rules but then some comman ground rules have to be fixed. Venue, opposition , era and all. 

Hayden n Sehwag are pure temptation for me, I'd like my team to be entertaining n full of match winners . Different people can have Different choice. Also I liked their mindset a lot as all these players are not only gr8 players but they had very different mindset and great self confidence something i really look for in a player. So warne for had gr8 self beilef be it righty or leftie he beilved he can get anyone out.

4 minutes ago, maniac said:

No Sachin? and you have 4 No.3 batsman in the line up.....Sachin makes it on owning the No.4 position alone....also you have 2 of the biggest bunnies ever in Murali and Mcgrath.....add Marshall and Ambrose...team is very weak and prone to collapses

A lot of people would actually pick lara over tendulkar in test and vice sachin over lara in Odi. He picked bowles on their bowling strength not their tail end exploits 

Whats ur all time 11?

9 minutes ago, maniac said:

You could pick Sachin .... if an ATG players bats at 3 for his team, it does not imply that he has to bat at #3 in an ATG 11 where there would be options. Much like if someone is selecting 3 pace bowlers, it is not required to select 2 opening bowlers and 1 first change because that's how they bowled for their teams. One could select 3 opening strike bowlers

Top 5 is too strong. And everyone can play a long inning and also win the game with their bats, which is the highlight of this batting order :aha:

Edited by rett
5 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

A lot of people would actually pick lara over tendulkar in test and vice sachin over lara in Odi. He picked bowles on their bowling strength not their tail end exploits 

Whats ur all time 11?

Here is my modern X1 including current and players from 90 onwards because I can bet right now Bradman and Sobers wouldn't last in this era....Sobers might do ok with the bat but his bowling will be pies in this generation....Here is my X1

1.Sehwag-Revolutionized Opening

2.Graeme Smith-Between him and Hayden as I want a left/Right combo and Smith can play both kinds of innings Attacking from ball 1 and saving the test kind of marathon effort....I will go with Smith

3.Brian Lara-No brainer

4.Sachin-Again No brainer

5.Ponting-between him and Dravid but I will go with Ponting...bigger match winner and more attacking option

6.Kallis-No brainer for the A/R spot and can make up for my earlier choice of leaving out Dravid.

7.Gilchrist-No brainer greatest WK/Bat of all time

8.Wasim-Greatest Left Arm bowler and can bat too.

9.Warne-Greatest spinner of all time

10.Steyn-Greatest bowler of the modern era...can be lethal in any condition

11.McGrath-Greatest fast bowler of all time

Backups

Spinner-Murali if I have to play 2 spinners instead of 3 fast bowlers

middle order-Dravid-If I think my top is attack heavy and I need a defensive strategy

Fast bowler-Ambrose

Just now, maniac said:

Here is my modern X1 including current and players from 90 onwards because I can bet right now Bradman and Sobers wouldn't last in this era....Sobers might do ok with the bat but his bowling will be pies in this generation....Here is my X1

1.Sehwag-Revolutionized Opening

2.Graeme Smith-Between him and Hayden as I want a left/Right combo and Smith can play both kinds of innings Attacking from ball 1 and saving the test kind of marathon effort....I will go with Smith

3.Brian Lara-No brainer

4.Sachin-Again No brainer

5.Ponting-between him and Dravid but I will go with Ponting...bigger match winner and more attacking option

6.Kallis-No brainer for the A/R spot and can make up for my earlier choice of leaving out Dravid.

7.Gilchrist-No brainer greatest WK/Bat of all time

8.Wasim-Greatest Left Arm bowler and can bat too.

9.Warne-Greatest spinner of all time

10.Steyn-Greatest bowler of the modern era...can be lethal in any condition

11.McGrath-Greatest fast bowler of all time

Backups

Spinner-Murali if I have to play 2 spinners instead of 3 fast bowlers

middle order-Dravid-If I think my top is attack heavy and I need a defensive strategy

Fast bowler-Ambrose

Sobers use to swing the ball miles and had avery good bouncer, also he was an outstanding fielder. HE also Bowled left arm othodox and chinamen both treasured in T20. He hit 6 sixes in an over that time and use to score tons in test at run a ball with those small bats. The guy would have been a god in todays's era

U can pick all-era as well.... we havent set post 90s rule

If Post 90 is would be the criteria - Steve waugh, Ambrose n kallis would walk in for me

Just now, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Sobers use to swing the ball miles and had avery good bouncer, also he was an outstanding fielder. HE also Bowled left arm othodox and chinamen both treasured in T20. He hit 6 sixes in an over that time and use to score tons in test at run a ball with those small bats. The guy would have been a god in todays's era

U can pick all-era as well.... we havent set post 90s rule

If Post 90 is would be the criteria - Steve waugh, Ambrose n kallis would walk in for me

I would go with this team in any era because I beleive post 90's teams can dominate in any era and not the other way round....I am sure 50 years from now it will be a similar case because if you look at my X1...they were far ahead of their times...even they could compete with the current T20 generation .

20 minutes ago, Lala said:

VVS and Donald are ordinary players. not suitable for all time Test 11 :giggle:

I clearly state based on who I watched. I never stated it's an all time 11.  If I were to make an all time 11 players like Viv, Sunny, and Marshal would be included, but that's a moot point. 

Also:

Wasim Akram: 181 innings, 414 wickets, 2.287 wickets/inning, 23.62 average, 54.6 strike rate

Allan Donald:  129 innings, 330 wickets, 2.558 wickets/inning, 22.25 average, 47.0 strike rate

He simply played less innings and therefore took less wickets than someone universally considered a great, but has better wickets per innings, a better average, and a much better strike rate.  

Just now, maniac said:

I would go with this team in any era because I beleive post 90's teams can dominate in any era and not the other way round....I am sure 50 years from now it will be a similar case because if you look at my X1...they were far ahead of their times...even they could compete with the current T20 generation .

Players like Richards, sobers , Kapil dev, Imran, botham, hadlee could dominate in any era......

5 minutes ago, maniac said:

I agree , I never understand how some people argue players from past era where better skill wise . if you look at some of the greats from past , had really bad batting technique , these days any one who has a minor wekaness cannot survive test cricket . 

19 minutes ago, jusarrived said:

I agree , I never understand how some people argue players from past era where better skill wise . if you look at some of the greats from past , had really bad batting technique , these days any one who has a minor wekaness cannot survive test cricket . 

Good point but note that what you see now is the result of evolution. For e.g. cars today are more efficient than cars of 50s. And cars coming 50 years from today would be more efficient than cars that we drive today 

If those playing in 90s were born in say 50s, they would probably been playing cric as per the era and vice-versa .... When someone is identified as an ATG, it implies that he is good enough to be able to adjust his game to the respective era and become a great! 

singer_porsche_1.jpg

^ Singer Porsche (usually available for $500K or more today)

Edited by rett

Choosing  only from players I  have watched

TESTS

Gavaskar

Hayden / Sehwag    ( Sehwag in Asia )

Richards

Tendulkar

Ponting

Sangakkara  ( Wk )

Imran

Warne

Marshall

Donald /  Steyn

McGrath

ODIs

Tendulkar

Gilchrist  ( wk )

Kohli

ABDV

Richards

Dhoni

Kapil

Wasim

Warne

Lee

Garner

Edited by express bowling
1 hour ago, rett said:

Good point but note that what you see now is the result of evolution. For e.g. cars today are more efficient than cars of 50s. And cars coming 50 years from today would be more efficient than cars that we drive today 

If those playing in 90s were born in say 50s, they would probably been playing cric as per the era and vice-versa .... When someone is identified as an ATG, it implies that he is good enough to be able to adjust his game to the respective era and become a great! 

singer_porsche_1.jpg

^ Singer Porsche (usually available for $500K or more today)

Infact my argument is based on evolution , am not saying that greats of the past would not be able to adjust his game , there is no way of knowing that . Am just comparing the finished products which is definitely better these days , the reason could be better fitness , better coaching , training facilities etc