Jayant Yadav

tweaker

8 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Jayant reminds me about Ravi Shastri to an extent.

He too started off as a spinner batting very low....but soon became a top order batsman who opened even...due to his gritty batting and ability to go to the line of the ball and play with a straight bat.

That's a pretty good comparison - a much more attractive player than Shastri though with the bat. And, I think that he's not really Test-level with the ball, but I'd still say he's a bit better than Shastri.

Just now, Vijy said:

That's a pretty good comparison - a much more attractive player than Shastri though with the bat. And, I think that he's not really Test-level with the ball, but I'd still say he's a bit better than Shastri.

Two areas where Shastri really stood out with the bat were ...... Playing against the WI pace quartet of the '80s even as an opener and scoring a century in WI.....secondly , Shastri had good 6 hitting ability, although  it often came after 44 defensive shots. he once hit Nash for six 6s in an over in a county match.

2 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Two areas where Shastri really stood out with the bat were ...... Playing against the WI pace quartet of the '80s even as an opener and scoring a century in WI.....secondly , Shastri had good 6 hitting ability, although  it often came after 44 defensive shots. he once hit Nash for six 6s in an over in a county match.

Yes, he was good at hitting 6's. But many of Jayant's 4's are more attractive to watch. Anyway, it's early days yet.

4 minutes ago, fineleg said:

Not quite sure if his batting is at Ravi Shastri level. Shastri could face fearsome fast bowling (though blockathon) - will have to see if Jayant Yadav can do that. As far as bowling, Shastri better than Jayant Yadav - though JY can improve.

Shastri's own batting evolved and improved over the years - unfair to compare against JY whose career has just begun.

19 minutes ago, fineleg said:

Not quite sure if his batting is at Ravi Shastri level. Shastri could face fearsome fast bowling (though blockathon) - will have to see if Jayant Yadav can do that. As far as bowling, Shastri better than Jayant Yadav - though JY can improve.

I am not comparing their batting levels but the fact that Jayant has started as a lower order batter and finger-spinner as Shastri and will surely end up batting much higher in the coming days based on the batting technique and temperament he has shown so far.

1 minute ago, express bowling said:

I am not comparing their batting levels but the fact that Jayant has started as a lower order batter and finger-spinner as Shastri and will surely end up batting much higher in the coming days based on the batting technique and temperament he has shown so far.

True, he could even open in place of Rahul :)

11 hours ago, fineleg said:

Shastri averages 40 plus with the ball in test cricket. He was not much of a bowler.

11 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

He wouldn't get to play overseas much and playing in India, he will pick wickets. I am sure he will only get better with the ball.

Can be pretty effective on dustbowls I think. Inspired pick by selectors - I assume Dravid had a hand somewhere