Will it happen once again, Virat K.O opponent and other captain waving a white flag

MCcricket

Will Dhoni surrender the initiative once more  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Will Dhoni surrender the initiative once more

• Blame his bowlers
    • Or talk about inexperience n prepare to loose

^I am hearing otherwise that he is ready to play warm up games etc and trying to already talk about our bowlers as in since Shami is injured so he is thinking of another senior pacemen in Nehra.

This means he is already in talks with the selectors of what he wants and how he wants to go about in the upcoming series. He seems very much focused to me for the upcoming series, more than anyone else and the series is still over 2 weeks away. What else you want.

4 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

^I am hearing otherwise that he is ready to play warm up games etc and trying to already talk about our bowlers as in since Shami is injured so he is thinking of another senior pacemen in Nehra.

This means he is already in talks with the selectors of what he wants and how he wants to go about in the upcoming series. He seems very much focused to me for the upcoming series, more than anyone else and the series is still over 2 weeks away. What else you want.

Bringing back Nehra for ODI's would be a poor move. Nehra is fine for T20's but don't think he has the fitness to bowl 10 overs in an ODI without breaking down. He is also coming back after a knee surgery, don't know if he is fully fit. The selectors should select younger bowlers.

12 minutes ago, Mosher said:

Bringing back Nehra for ODI's would be a poor move. Nehra is fine for T20's but don't think he has the fitness to bowl 10 overs in an ODI without breaking down. He is also coming back after a knee surgery, don't know if he is fully fit. The selectors should select younger bowlers.

Yes, that can be debated, but my post was in context to Dhoni being not ready for ODI'S etc as posted above.

11 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Yes, that can be debated, but my post was in context to Dhoni being not ready for ODI'S etc as posted above.

With Kohli doing really well as a captain, don't think Dhoni will take things lightly. He will be on his toes ringing in the changes. Interesting series ahead.

Edited by Mosher
7 minutes ago, Mosher said:

With Kohli doing really well as a captain, don't think Dhoni will take things lightly. He will be on his toes ringing in the changes. Interesting series ahead.

Dhoni isn't worried about Kohli is doing well or not after being captain. There is no competition to captain ODI side. Dhoni couldn't care less about captaincy. He feels he is the best man to lead INdia, and that is how I feel too. I don't see anyone else who deserve captaincy in the team. Yes, if he doesn't, it will be Kohli, but Kohli should realize himself and I am sure he does already that captaining both 50overs and test matches isn't easy and it can have huge impact on his batting. He is better of not getting the captaincy right now. Wait few more years, once the test side is fully developed or when Dhoni wants to hang his boots, then he should get the ODI captaincy.

No one else challenges Dhoni either for captaincy.

8 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Dhoni isn't worried about Kohli is doing well or not after being captain. There is no competition to captain ODI side. Dhoni couldn't care less about captaincy. He feels he is the best man to lead INdia, and that is how I feel too. I don't see anyone else who deserve captaincy in the team. Yes, if he doesn't, it will be Kohli, but Kohli should realize himself and I am sure he does already that captaining both 50overs and test matches isn't easy and it can have huge impact on his batting. He is better of not getting the captaincy right now. Wait few more years, once the test side is fully developed or when Dhoni wants to hang his boots, then he should get the ODI captaincy.

No one else challenges Dhoni either for captaincy.

I feel exactly the opposite of that. Dhoni is feeling the heat. With Kohli doing well the spotlight will definitely be on Dhoni. He is not the same batsman he used to be. He struggles to hit the big shots early. Takes his time to get going. That's the reason he has decided to bat up the order. This competition will be good for the team.

^^That video doesn't prove much. What you are trying to state? That Dhoni won't have used Ashwin. He might have used Ashwin too.

That said, I will stick to what I said earlier int his thread and what I have said in the past about Kohli. Kohli will be our greatest captain, player etc etc. However, Kohli doesn't need to be made captain right now for ODI'S. Let Dhoni continue, as he is still the best man right now for the job. Unless he fells otherwise, then we should opt for any other captain. Till then, let's not discuss anything about Dhoni's captaincy as there are no other candidates.

2 hours ago, Cricketics said:

That said, I will stick to what I said earlier int his thread and what I have said in the past about Kohli. Kohli will be our greatest captain, player etc etc. However, Kohli doesn't need to be made captain right now for ODI'S. Let Dhoni continue, as he is still the best man right now for the job. Unless he fells otherwise, then we should opt for any other captain. Till then, let's not discuss anything about Dhoni's captaincy as there are no other candidates.

It is a valid point that being a captain across formats may lead to a much faster burn-out of a cricketer.  For that reason, I too do not want  Kohli to take up ODI captaincy as of now.

But, there is tremendous pressure from the cricketing fraternity to make Kohli the ODI captain too.  It is incorrect to say that there is no other captaincy candidate. As Kohli does better and better in tests, this clamour is growing stronger. Shastri send an official mail to the last selection committee to make Kohli the captain across formats.  It was turned down then based on the quick-burnout logic, but  if we do not do well in CT then the pressure will be even higher. On the other hand, If we do well in CT, then Dhoni will remain the ODI captain unless he does not want to.

It is important to plan for WC 19.  Dhoni himself says that his power game has gone down and he is not comfortable playing as a finisher at No.6  ( and he is the greatest ever finisher to play ODIs ). As his reflexes have slowed down, it will depend a lot on whether he is able to adapt as a No.4 batsman.  How his batting will holdup in WC 19, no one can say.... as a batsman dependent largely on hand-eye coordination finds it difficult when the reflexes slow down, as we saw with Sehwag.

Even someone like Rohit Sharma, who is a regular in the ODI side and has done well as the captain of MI, can be considered if a new but different captain is needed.

Edited by express bowling
1 minute ago, Viper said:

Wouldn't have used ashwin against afridi that's just dumb straight out dumb

Its known fact he has liking for off spinners.. If you even go back to WC2007 Final right when afridi comes on he goes straight to Pathan who bowls a Bouncer on the body and get him out for 0.. One of many examples 

Simple questions RCB has BEST IPL team how come he hasn't won single league till now ? Don't give me IPL is different to IND team.. It has Gayle , ABD , YUVI , STARC and himself 

OP tried to troll but major backfire 

I don't want to entertain you and start a new discussion here since I have already told you that I rather have Dhoni as ODI captain right now than Kohli,

But let me tell you that one player, one captain does not win you a tournament or league. Kohli can't do it himself. It's a known fact that they have the worst bowling attack in IPL. Everyone knows it and they discuss it every time when IPL starts.

and talking about Kohli using, Ashwin, that was the best choice we had that time. Dhoni would have gone with Ashwin too, like he went with Ashwin in the final of the champions trophy.

You have to realize what bowlers we have left. May be with Dhoni, the game might not have lasted that long and might have been over. Just saying since you brought that game up. India was defending a low total, and to be able to stretch the game till there, was some good captaincy from Kohli.

Peace out.

4 minutes ago, express bowling said:

But, there is tremendous pressure from the cricketing fraternity to make Kohli the ODI captain too.  It is incorrect to say that there is no other captaincy candidate.

Even someone like Rohit Sharma, who is a regular in the ODI side and has done well as the captain of MI, can be considered if a new but different captain is needed.

No, Rohit can be considered for Twenty20 but not for ODI'S. He just started being consistent in ODI'S and has been kind of injury prone of late. I would rather have him lead 2020 side only than give him 50 overs. Let him settle down first in the team. He barely made it to Indian ODI team few years ago after series of poor results. Now he is doing better as opener, and I rather just have him enjoy his good ODI run than throw him captaincy responsibility which would suck for him as he is hardly in the team these days and is actually in the hospital take care of different injuries.

Kohli is the only candidate, other than Dhoni for now. If Rahane had done decent, I would have opted for him, since he hasn't, I wouldn't pick anyone else.

4 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

No, Rohit can be considered for Twenty20 but not for ODI'S. He just started being consistent in ODI'S and has been kind of injury prone of late. I would rather have him lead 2020 side only than give him 50 overs. Let him settle down first in the team. He barely made it to Indian ODI team few years ago after series of poor results. Now he is doing better as opener, and I rather just have him enjoy his good ODI run than throw him captaincy responsibility which would suck for him as he is hardly in the team these days and is actually in the hospital take care of different injuries.

Kohli is the only candidate, other than Dhoni for now. If Rahane had done decent, I would have opted for him, since he hasn't, I wouldn't pick anyone else.

Rohit and Ashwin both can be ODI capatains. Ashwin is a regular and seems to be intelligent enough to lead the side.

3 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Ok, I read the thread title and poll question - it says " Will Dhoni surrender the initiative once more"

Once more, when it happen for the first time?

I am not discussing about the thread title...ask the OP that.

It is true that we were a top ODI side till late 2013 and, after that, our ODI performances have gone down sharply under Dhoni.  Leaving out Zimbabwe, we have been unable to win  7  ODI series and won only 3 ODI series in the last 3 years under him.

6 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Rohit and Ashwin both can be ODI capatains. Ashwin is a regular and seems to be intelligent enough to lead the side.

Ashwin can be a good candidate for ODI captaincy, as he is intelligent and comes across as a thinking cricketer.

But, not having any experience even in the IPL will put him at a disadvantage.

It would be nice if his captaincy is tested in the IPL.

7 minutes ago, Viper said:

We may not agree on 3rd point.. Dhoni used Ashwin for a Tailender in CT2013 there is a difference.. I ll end it there Afridi is a Blind hitter 

No. Broad was on strike. Broad has given has hard time plenty of times. Dhoni should know it very well as Broad and Bopara were part of an epic stand against when they were 7 down and both kept playing and won England the game against us. Broad is a pretty good bat, and that time he was much better than what he is doing today. Dhoni used Ashwin, ahead of Umesh Yadav and Bhuvneshwar Kumar, even after knowing that. Nothing wrong with it. India won, I am happy and so are you and everyone.

Point, is that some days it will work, and some days it won't. So there was no reason to bring that video you got up where Ashwin is getting thrashed in the last over as the same bowler won us in the finals too by bowling a more important over.

15 minutes ago, express bowling said:

I am not discussing about the thread title...ask the OP that.

It is true that we were a top ODI side till late 2013 and, after that, our ODI performances have gone down sharply under Dhoni.  Leaving out Zimbabwe, we have been unable to win  7  ODI series and won only 3 ODI series in the last 3 years under him.

After 2013, we have won 7 ODI series and lost 7. 2 ODI series wins were against Zimbabwe.

Under Dhoni's captaincy we have won 4 series and lost 6. 1 win was against Zimbabwe and 3 losses were in WC, tri series in Aus and bilateral ODI series in SA and Aus which we rarely win. Have we ever won an ODI series in SA? I remember winning Aus when SRT scored in both finals but never before and after that. Our only WC win in last 30 years was under Dhoni although we did well in 2015 WC also.

3 series won and 2 lost where we had better chances of winning by reputation - ODI series against SA at home and series in Bangladesh.

If you consider 2010-2013 as our peak time then even during that time we lost ODI series in Aus and SA. Only SA and Bangladesh loss can be considered as decline from that period and we still manage to be among 3-4 in ICC ODI rankings if I am not wrong. I am sure if we keep playing lot of series in Asia and some weaker ODI sides our team will again seem to be on rise.

22 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

After 2013, we have won 7 ODI series and lost 7. 2 ODI series wins were against Zimbabwe.

Under Dhoni's captaincy we have won 4 series and lost 6. 1 win was against Zimbabwe and 3 losses were in WC, tri series in Aus and bilateral ODI series in SA and Aus which we rarely win. Have we ever won an ODI series in SA? I remember winning Aus when SRT scored in both finals but never before and after that. Our only WC win in last 30 years was under Dhoni although we did well in 2015 WC also.

3 series won and 2 lost where we had better chances of winning by reputation - ODI series against SA at home and series in Bangladesh.

No...we have won 3 ODI series in the last 3 years and a bit   under Dhoni....NZ 16, England 14 and WI 14/15  ( leaving Zim ).   It is won 3 and lost 7.

The other wins were under Kohli and Raina

Edited by express bowling