Is this worst defeat for Indian team at home?

1 hour ago, Muloghonto said:

Yes. Coz we a re missing guys who can play 'shut shop and sensible cricket' type. Pujara is the only one capable of that- Kohli, Raina- they are both 'must keep the scoreboard ticking or dismissed easily' type of batsmen. We need a Laxman-tempo batsman, someone who can be tuk-tuk to get settled in but free-flowing once settled in.

And by 'settled in', i mean 30-40+ runs on the board. These days, test cricket is so influenced by T20 mentality that if batsman plays one thumping cover drive after 2 maidens, we think 'batsman is settled'.  

I think you mean Rahane.

BTW Vijay can also play the shutting shop brand of cricket 

Edited by Sidhoni

In this age of DRS.... playing spin on raging turners is much more difficult than it was in the pre-DRS era.

A lot more deliveries have to be played with the bat and a long forward movement and using pads does not help for deliveries hitting in line, unless pitching outside leg, which again has to be deciphered with more care nowadays.

As a result, just hanging in there is much more difficult these days.

2 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

Yes. 

And i am not surprised. The current Indian lineup doesn't know how to play quiet cricket against the spinners, like our 70s & 80s batsmen did (where on spinning pitches, they could post 250+ at 2.5 RPO), never mind the dominant cricket our 90s & 2000s batsmen did.

Defensive cricket isn't possible anymore on pitches like these against spinners due to DRS and more LBWs.

11 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

Yes. Coz we are missing guys who can play 'shut shop and sensible cricket' type. Pujara is the only one capable of that- Kohli, Raina- they are both 'must keep the scoreboard ticking or dismissed easily' type of batsmen. We need a Laxman-tempo batsman, someone who can be tuk-tuk to get settled in but free-flowing once settled in.

And by 'settled in', i mean 30-40+ runs on the board. These days, test cricket is so influenced by T20 mentality that if batsman plays one thumping cover drive after 2 maidens, we think 'batsman is settled'.  

Laxman was an outstanding player of spin even on dustbowls with the right technique and temperament to deal with unexpected bounce and spin. Our batters could benefit by having him as batting consultant for this series. Aussies have done series specific homework hiring consultants for the series and come well prepared. We also need to strategize similarly.

Edited by nevada
19 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Defensive cricket isn't possible anymore on pitches like these against spinners due to DRS and more LBWs.

I disagree. We are not talking about England/Australia who's best batsmen against spin rely on kicking away the ball pitched on/outside leg stump or padding up when pitched short by leaning way the hell forward. How often did Tendulkar/Dravid/Dada/Laxy pad up ? almost never. on pitches like these, they batted like Steve Smith but with more grace- took away the bat-pad, let balls spin past their outside edges all day long and compiled big scores. 
That ability is lacking in today's batsmen. Simply because they don't have defensive technique and confidence good enough.