Sanju Manju- India needs a no 4 & 5 who is from the Virat mould of batting.

Just now, TNAmarkFromIndia said:

Agree with Sanjay. India's problem with finding that No. 4 is that most of the players they've tried or even those on the horizon can't seem to rotate strike the way Kohli, Dhoni at their best would do. You have to be able to keep the scoreboard ticking in the middle overs.

Problem with no.4 

• Not trying right players....when they did it was just for 2-3 games
  • not backing anyone 
21 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Absolutely not 

At 4 u need someone in mould of - Yuvi, ABDV, Lara 

At 5 u need someone in Mould of - Hussey or dhoni during his best 

Sanju Manju is only partly right (as always). Yes, a No. 4 should be able to consolidate primarily and go on the attack when necessary (like VK), but the demands for No. 5 are different. Ideally, one needs a player like peak Yuvi, ABDV, Hussey, etc. No. 5 should, first and foremost, be an attacking batsman (with a career SR of close to 100) with a cool head who can bring out the big hits quite early on in some innings.

8 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Problem with no.4 

• Not trying right players....when they did it was just for 2-3 games
  • not backing anyone 

The only one I can think of who should've been given a longer rope at No. 4 is Shreyas Iyer. Rest like Pandey, Rayudu, Rahane weren't very good and Pant, Pandya is better suited for the lower middle order.

9 minutes ago, TNAmarkFromIndia said:

The only one I can think of who should've been given a longer rope at No. 4 is Shreyas Iyer. Rest like Pandey, Rayudu, Rahane weren't very good and Pant, Pandya is better suited for the lower middle order.

Yes, Iyer deserves a longer rope. He has some technical issues, but I like whatever I've seen of his temperament.

1 hour ago, TNAmarkFromIndia said:

Rahul

Pant (just becoz a player is attacking doesnt mean he shud abt in lower order)

shankar 

Gill (discarded after 2 games)

all need long rope......Everyone fails problem here is PPl discard the player as soon as he fails as if cricketers in past hasnt

1 hour ago, Vijy said:

Sanju Manju is only partly right (as always). Yes, a No. 4 should be able to consolidate primarily and go on the attack when necessary (like VK), but the demands for No. 5 are different. Ideally, one needs a player like peak Yuvi, ABDV, Hussey, etc. No. 5 should, first and foremost, be an attacking batsman (with a career SR of close to 100) with a cool head who can bring out the big hits quite early on in some innings.

Even yuvi n abdv knew how to consolidate but they had that extra gear that virat doesnt have......

At 4 u need someone like them who can get team team to a gr8 total from poor start. ......batsman like kohli, babar, kane, root, smith are best suited at 3 

9 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Even yuvi n abdv knew how to consolidate but they had that extra gear that virat doesnt have......

At 4 u need someone like them who can get team team to a gr8 total from poor start. ......batsman like kohli, babar, kane, root, smith are best suited at 3 

No kohli is not like smith, root or gobar. He can take on best fast bowlers at end overs and he has shown that many a times. He can take on best fast bowlers like starc,rabada and Ferguson he has shown that in wc also.

Edited by raki05

We need a pressure cooker player. We had such a perfect line up.

Old Yuvi ( can arrest collapse, accelerate and finish games before the end overs)

Old Dhoni ( can arrest collapse and finish well)

Old Raina (can tee off from the get go. Good pressure player)

All 3 could produce big overs whenever needed.  All 3 could score 100s if needed.  Among them Yuvi and Raina were great fielders. Both could bowl a bit. India's line up was very flexible because of that. 

Raina can somewhat be replaced by Pandya. But he has to improve a lot. Pant can develop himself into a stable reliable middle order batsman. Who will replace Yuvraj? That is the biggest problem here. Even if you search entire India you don't have anyone remotely close to Yuvi's capabilities.  Natwest Trophy was won from 146/5. Imagine current line up at 146/5 They will get bowled out for 225.  

1 hour ago, raki05 said:

No kohli is not like smith, root or gobar. He can take on best fast bowlers at end overs and he has shown that many a times. He can take on best fast bowlers like starc,rabada and Ferguson he has shown that in wc also.

what ur talking about is ability ...what m talking about is mould or game

I also mentioned babar whose ability currently is not a par or even close to other names i mentioned 

6 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Rahul

Pant (just becoz a player is attacking doesnt mean he shud abt in lower order)

shankar 

Gill (discarded after 2 games)

all need long rope......Everyone fails problem here is PPl discard the player as soon as he fails as if cricketers in past hasnt

Rahul doesn't have the calculative mindset of a middle order batsman. He's more suited in the top 3.

Pant is brainless.

Shankar was never going to be a long term solution. His List A record proves that.

Was too soon for Gill. He needed to be tested in 'A' cricket before making it to international cricket and by that time it was too late for him to catch the World Cup bus. Also I feel he's more comfortable playing in the top 3 rather than No. 4 or below. Maybe he can fit into that role over time but he was not going to be ready for that spot by the 2019 World Cup. Not like we were going to draft him straight into the international team right after the U19 World Cup over all the batsman who've been toiling away for years in the domestic circuit.

9 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Absolutely not 

At 4 u need someone in mould of - Yuvi, ABDV, Lara 

At 5 u need someone in Mould of - Hussey or dhoni during his best 

ABDV, Lara are different league than yuvi. First two had a successful test career which mean they could tough it out which manju is saying. 

7 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

what ur talking about is ability ...what m talking about is mould or game

I also mentioned babar whose ability currently is not a par or even close to other names i mentioned 

Yes kohli has ability and that's why he is so successful as chaser and finisher coz he strikes at around 160-180 at the end whereas other 3 can't do that.hence I said kohli is different than other 3.