Jump to content
express bowling

Speed and performance of pacers and spinners in important matches

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, express bowling said:

That Ishant was able to pick up 4 wickets, in an innings when he was clearly out of rhythm,  is very creditable.

actually, I am hugely surprised as he looked slower but his Line n length was BEST.

if he gets his rhythm and into 140 + mode with this BEST line n length- he will rock Australia in this series.

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/14/2018 at 1:20 PM, express bowling said:

Looks like the 30 year old Ishant Sharma and the 34 year old Md. Shami  (  his real age  )   have not been able to recover physically after bowling their hearts out just 3 days back.  Plus it is hot today.

 

Hence the big drop in pace.

 

While the young Bumrah has recovered and bowling at full speed.

 

And Umesh has just lost some pace at age 31  (  actual age maybe higher too ).

 

Problem with having three 30+ fast bowlers ... in a test series where matches are being playing without much gaps.

Agreed..i think India should rest SHAMMI and ishant in the next Test as he has been SLOW and play Bhuvi and fly Siraj to play the next test.

Share this post


Link to post

Matches are not played on emotion. What matters is the wicket column. Just because someone is bowling in 130's, it doesnt mean he is bowling bad. Although I am one of the biggest advocates of pace, but there are many intricacies involved. There could be multiple reasons for Ishant or Shami to be bowling slower. 

I am happy with Ishant bowling at 125 and taking 5for's. Sometimes, really some of the comments in the group are bewildering. Why would you drop a player because he is bowling slow??

Edited by Rightarmfast

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Rightarmfast said:

 

I am happy with Ishant bowling at 125 and taking 5for's.

 

Bumrah and Ishant have firmly established themselves as our top 2 test pacers this year.

 

Low averages, low strike rates, good economy rates for both  (  and good wickets per match for Bumrah  )

 

Ishant will obviously play next match if fit ... but Ishant suddenly bowling 125 k is a sign of some issues he is having in this match, and that need to be addressed.   When on song, Ishant bowls 133 k to 143 k these days.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

Matches are played on emotion. What matters is the wicket column. Just because someone is bowling in 130's, it doesnt mean he is bowling bad. Although I am one of the biggest advocates of pace, but there are many intricacies involved. There could be multiple reasons for Ishant or Shami to be bowling slower. 

I am happy with Ishant bowling at 125 and taking 5for's. Sometimes, really some of the comments in the group are bewildering. Why would you drop a player because he is bowling slow??

ishant seemed to belittle unfit and bowled the least, even went outside for treatment.

i am seeing him having some niggle or not in rhythm.

he got a couple of wickets just by the stroke of Luck..one was when a batsman went for a shot.

FAST bowling is an ART in which a bowler should not just be 100 percent fit but if any part of his body is aching or feeling a little hurt, he does not push himself or stretches for extra pace.

I have experienced it , only bumrah has recovered well from first test and went back to his full speed of 147k 

what is wrong with Umesh , he is scared of his spray gun habits that is why he does not want to move from 135 to 141k pace to higher bracket.

 

bumrah softens up australian batsman - dont just count his value in the number of wickets he takes in this series.

umesh can also bowl upto 147k and run that role too..get wickets and softens and scares batsman

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, vishalvirsingh said:

Agreed..i think India should rest SHAMMI and ishant in the next Test as he has been SLOW and play Bhuvi and fly Siraj to play the next test.

Rest Ishant? Get off that powder you've been snorting. Cricket isn't played to please you lot with the numbers on the speed gun 

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, SLICKR392 said:

Rest Ishant? Get off that powder you've been snorting. Cricket isn't played to please you lot with the numbers on the speed gun 

My prediction- he won't be fit to play the next test... I am seeing some issue with his fitness already.

Share this post


Link to post
45 minutes ago, vishalvirsingh said:

Agreed..i think India should rest SHAMMI and ishant in the next Test as he has been SLOW and play Bhuvi and fly Siraj to play the next test.

Chutiya hai kya be. :facepalm:Ishant has been Indias 2nd best pacer for sometime now behind bumrah.

 

I am bigger bhuvi fan than you but he should comeback in place of ICF's darling Mr Umesh 'I don't have Brains' Yadav not Ishant. Some really wierd gaanja this phhhaaassttt bowling group is on. :rofl: 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Rightarmfast said:

Matches are not played on emotion. What matters is the wicket column. Just because someone is bowling in 130's, it doesnt mean he is bowling bad. Although I am one of the biggest advocates of pace, but there are many intricacies involved. There could be multiple reasons for Ishant or Shami to be bowling slower. 

I am happy with Ishant bowling at 125 and taking 5for's. Sometimes, really some of the comments in the group are bewildering. Why would you drop a player because he is bowling slow??

True. Ishant has decoded test match bowling overseas and that is to be patient and not try too much. He is not giving freebies, keeping the pressure on.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, express bowling said:

but Ishant suddenly bowling 125 k is a sign of some issues he is having in this match, and that need to be addressed.   When on song, Ishant bowls 133 k to 143 k these days.

.. It maybe a sign of issue, I agree with you. Although I didnt see him niggling, I might have missed something during the match though. But also, for all we know, its a new pitch and he could be concentrating on the length or the bounce more. He seems to me to be in a good space right now. He is happy with himself, and he knows what to do. So I am not concerned if he is bowling at 125.

Well, not playing in the next match because he is injured is totally acceptable. But not getting selected because he is bowling at 125, 130 is just weird logic! 

 

And dropping Ishant and bringing in Siraj in the middle of a series is a knee jerk reaction. You never know how that turns out to be. I understand where all the comments are coming from, but I think its more emotional reactions.

Edited by Rightarmfast

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

Murli Vijay got bowled off a delivery which came slightly in. But it was more of a straight ball. I consider that a gift wicket. An opener cant get bowled, and that too off such a straightish ball. The Indian bowlers didnt get such gifts at the start of their inning.

He is done. He should retire do commentry or stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

Ishant Sharma took 4 wickets in innings.  What's wrong.  Is it be because he didn't take a 5 fer :dontknow:

The last two overs of Aus innings Umesh and Ishant attacked the stumps in most balls and Aus lower order batted like they do always like tail enders and got bowled or nicked out swingers. I was like finally..

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, sscomp32 said:

Chutiya hai kya be. :facepalm:Ishant has been Indias 2nd best pacer for sometime now behind bumrah.

 

I am bigger bhuvi fan than you but he should comeback in place of ICF's darling Mr Umesh 'I don't have Brains' Yadav not Ishant. Some really wierd gaanja this phhhaaassttt bowling group is on. :rofl: 

Mind your language

 

Admins.. 

Remove this post

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

.. It maybe a sign of issue, I agree with you. Although I didnt see him niggling, I might have missed something during the match though.

 

Ishant was taken off after bowling just 1 over in one of his spells.  He then left the field and was attended to by the phisio.   He was clutching his right side and seemed to be in some distress.

 

2 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

But also, for all we know, its a new pitch and he could be concentrating on the length or the bounce more. He seems to me to be in a good space right now. He is happy with himself, and he knows what to do. So I am not concerned if he is bowling at 125.

 

Ishant did not bowl that well in this match so far.  He did not look to be in good rhythm in most spells.  That is the worrying part and not the speed by itself. 

 

 

2 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

Well, not playing in the next match because he is injured is totally acceptable. But not getting selected because he is bowling at 125, 130 is just weird logic! 

 

And dropping Ishant and bringing in Siraj in the middle of a series is a knee jerk reaction. You never know how that turns out to be. I understand where all the comments are coming from, but I think its more emotional reactions.

 

 

Ishant will play the next match if fit.  It is quite simple really.

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Ishant did not bowl that well in this match so far.  He did not look to be in good rhythm in most spells.  That is the worrying part and not the speed by itself.

None of the Indian bowlers were at their best, including Bumrah. So I am not nitpicking any one bowler here. Looking at the group effort, Ishant was ok. 

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

Matches are not played on emotion. What matters is the wicket column. Just because someone is bowling in 130's, it doesnt mean he is bowling bad. Although I am one of the biggest advocates of pace, but there are many intricacies involved. There could be multiple reasons for Ishant or Shami to be bowling slower. 

I am happy with Ishant bowling at 125 and taking 5for's. Sometimes, really some of the comments in the group are bewildering. Why would you drop a player because he is bowling slow??

Hain!!! Tu gaddar kaise ho gaya? You broke the phaasst bowling loyalty.

Share this post


Link to post

Our idea should be to be focussing on bowlers who can be rotated. A lot of current crop of bowlers who are performing finein this series for the team tend to lose their steam as they can not perform the same way over and over, this is where alternatives come in. Eventually all these players are humans and not robots who can perform the same way all the time. They simply can’t. No attack in the world does that and so we can’t expect Ishant or Shami to perform or bowl at same pace as what we like all the time. However, what we can do is to rotate them at the right time when needed so we can blood in a youngster and have a pool of bowlers which we can pick and choose and play when we need. Currently if anyonen of the current lot gets injured and the other senior pro is out of form, our new bowlers who come in into the crucial time in the serie will lack the experience, and then people will ask for their head, forgetting that he is just a newbie and can’t perform the same way at international stage right away as he did at A stage. They simply can’t as it takes time for a bowler to get used just lioe a batsman. 

 

Rotation of all these bowlers are a must in a long series. Not all of them need to be rotated as sometimes you want your best bowlers to play all the test matches, but when we play home, try the likes of Siraj, Avesh, etc so they are prepared when needed the most.  

 

This will ensure our seniors like Shami and Ishant and Bumrah are also fresh and raring to go all the time. 

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Not getting it. 

 

Speed is measured by speed guns.

It can also be measured by the hawk eye. Check the link below.

 

Radar Gun

Measuring the speed of the bowl by a radar is similar to measuring the speed of the moving car. This gun consists of both a receiver and a transmitter. The way it works is that it sends a radio wave that is reflected of by any object that is in the path. In this case it is a cricket ball. The gun gets this echo and then by using the principle of Doppler Shift, calculates the speed of the ball.  There are few advantages of this technology:

 
  • Exact speed is determined with help of a radar gun as it catches the speed of the moving ball the way it is without any error.
  • It is instantaneous and records the speed immediately as the ball passes the radar gun. This is the reason that in any cricket match, as soon as the bowler balls the delivery, the speed is shown on the screen.   The gun works efficiently and helps getting the exact possible speed of the bowl.

Hawk Eye

Hawk eye is a computer system that is used officially in various sports like tennis, cricket, football and other sports. A person named Dr Paul Hawkins developed this technology in the UK.  The system was initially implemented in the year 2001 for the measuring purposes in cricket. Hawk-Eye is not something that is infallible. It is accurate within the 5 millimeters of its range and is usually considered and trusted as a tool to have a second opinion in the sports. Hawk eye is referred to as a technology that is used to measure the speed of ball as the way it is bowled. This technology was originally made for tracking the missile and brain surgery.

This technology gets the data from around six cameras. It then makes use of the data to track the ball path from the time the ball leaves the hand of the bowler until the time the ball goes dead. The technology then presents this information as 3D image. It clearly helps the viewer understand the direction and length at which the ball left the bowlers hand and headed towards the stumps. This also helps in deciding the LBW decision as it allows the 3rd umpire to see whether the ball was actually in the line of the stumps when it hit the pads of the batsman.  Advantages of this method are as follows:

  • Accurate speed of the ball as the clear direction is seen in the hawk eye
  • The direction and the swing of the ball is also measured with this technology
  • Clearly states the authenticity of the ball hitting the stumps
  • It also makes sure that whether the delivery was legal or not.

 

https://sporteology.net/bowling-speed-measured-cricket/

Edited by Mosher

Share this post


Link to post

except Bumrah ..all three india pacers are not at their best.

only bumrah seems to be trying his level best.

umesh has the capability to bowl 145k at same line and length but he is still under 140k..it looks he is underperforming and under trying.

Share this post


Link to post

except Bumrah ..all three india pacers are not at their best.

only bumrah seems to be trying his level best.

umesh has the capability to bowl 145k at same line and length but he is still under 140k..it looks he is underperforming and under trying.

Share this post


Link to post

@Mosher

 

Bro,   missed most of our bowling today.

 

What speed ranges did Bumrah and the others bowl at.

 

 Saw a 147 k and a 146 k and a hit to the head of Harris by Bumrah in the few balls I saw.

 

And Shami hit Finch on the gloves to retire him.

 

 

 

 

Edited by express bowling

Share this post


Link to post

@Mosher

 

Bro,   missed most of our bowling today.

 

What speed ranges did Bumrah and the others bowl at.

 

 Saw a 147 k and a 146 k and a hit to the head by Bumrah in the few balls I saw.

 

And Shami hit Finch on the gloves to retire him.

 

 

 

 

Edited by express bowling

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Guest, sign in to access all features.

×