Ravi Shastri forces MS to drop Dhawan For Rahane

4 minutes ago, Texan said:

Ohh.... like bowlers have never encountered dew in their lives? What happened to Mr. Dew when NZ spinners were ripping into our batting lineup? 

Nagpur had no dew. Not every venue sees the dew and there is no cure for dew, no matter how much experience you have. You cannot change the behavior of the ball and the pitch. Even the greatest bowlers in the world cant do much with dew. We won 2011 final on the same ground and likes of Murli were made spectator due to the dew.

Also, Benn and Badri bowled well because we let them bowl and showed no intent to score of them. We hit 1 six in last 14 overs showed our timid approach. We knew there was dew so we had to show intent between 78 to 15 overs. 192 would have been a winning total without dew but despite knowing, we pottered around. Once there is dew, nothing can be done.

Also, why blame Pandya for bowling short. He was only bowling what he was asked to bowl. In Australia, Dhoni asked him to bowl wide yorkers, he did that. Against BD, Dhoni, asked him to bowl short of length, he did. Same here, he only bowled what Dhoni asked him to bowl. If Dhoni sets field for short bowling, he will have to bowl short to his field.

1 minute ago, rkt.india said:

Nagpur had no dew. Not every venue sees the dew and there is no cure for dew, no matter how much experience you have. You cannot change the behavior of the ball and the pitch. Even the greatest bowlers in the world cant do much with dew. We won 2011 final on the same ground and likes of Murli were made spectator due to the dew.

Also, Benn and Badri bowled well because we let them bowl and showed no intent to score of them. We hit 1 six in last 14 overs showed our timid approach. We knew there was dew so we had to show intent between 78 to 15 overs. 192 would have been a winning total without dew but despite knowing, we pottered around. Once there is dew, nothing can be done.

I don't think we won World Cup 2011 due to "dew" factor. We won because we were the best ODI team for the conditions and we had almost perfected the art of chasing then. Also, in the Ind-WI match, I really didn't see any ball that appeared to have slipped out of the bowler's hand as dew might cause. It was merely a case of bowling the wrong lines and trying to be extra cautious instead of going for wickets.

About Benn and Badree, they bowled well and gave away very few hittable balls. They were always attacking the stumps. Look at where Ashwin and Jadeja were bowling. Batsmen had no threat of getting bowled. And by the way, these matches start pretty late in the evening. Dew would be a factor even in the first innings.

17 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

one word Dew.

Isn't it harsh then ? Why schedule matches in those ground where you can win half the match from toss itself ? I know this is hurting more because its us this time on receiving end. Just because Wankhede is big/reputed stadium, if ICC is organiser then such factors must be taken care off.

Just now, puneet28 said:

Isn't it harsh then ? Why schedule matches in those ground where you can win half the match from toss itself ? I know this is hurting more because its us this time on receiving end. Just because Wankhede is big/reputed stadium, if ICC is organiser then such factors must be taken care off.

maximize tv ratings is a bigger criteria, unfortunately 

More of that, we need to realize that, we are lacking hitters big time now. We need batsmen in T20 who can launch from very first ball. Atleast one opener and one middle order. Pandya is good at 7. This way we can have some flow in batting line up. 1, 4, 7 big hitters rest who can build and then hit, likes of Kohli, Dhoni.

1 minute ago, puneet28 said:

More of that, we need to realize that, we are lacking hitters big time now. We need batsmen in T20 who can launch from very first ball. Atleast one opener and one middle order. Pandya is good at 7. This way we can have some flow in batting line up. 1, 4, 7 big hitters rest who can build and then hit, likes of Kohli, Dhoni.

You have to consider the Captains comfort.. He's done well in ODIs with the same team. Obviously he'll take his ODI team to play T20s too...

isnt the England team same for ODI and T20s? They've done well with the same team in LOIs...

3 minutes ago, puneet28 said:

Dew is just one of the excuses we hear when Dhoni loses. I didn't see Dhoni say when we won it was because of dew factor. If so, then stop raving about Kohli's innings in the Aussie match and thank dew for letting us get to the semis. In every presentation ceremony, he should just say we won or lost because of dew factor and not because we played good or bad cricket.

8 minutes ago, Texan said:

I don't think we won World Cup 2011 due to "dew" factor. We won because we were the best ODI team for the conditions and we had almost perfected the art of chasing then. Also, in the Ind-WI match, I really didn't see any ball that appeared to have slipped out of the bowler's hand as dew might cause. It was merely a case of bowling the wrong lines and trying to be extra cautious instead of going for wickets.

About Benn and Badree, they bowled well and gave away very few hittable balls. They were always attacking the stumps. Look at where Ashwin and Jadeja were bowling. Batsmen had no threat of getting bowled. And by the way, these matches start pretty late in the evening. Dew would be a factor even in the first innings.

Dew was a huge factor. You are pretty naive if you dont think so. Dew will always play a huge factor whenever it is there. We were not even the best team in that tournament. We lost of SA. barely escaped against England with a tie. Struggled with the bat against Ireland.

About Been and Badree, we never tried to hit them. From the first over of Badree, we were just defending and taking 1s. You need to put pressure on the bowler, which we did not do it against them. While WI batsmen did.

Match started at 7. Dew started to come in about half an hour into our bowling. New ball even swung for Nehra and Bumrah. We were in the game in first 6 overs but with dew starting to take effect, we kept lagging behind. Dhoni himself mentioned it.

8 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

You cannot justify a 35 ball 40 inning where runs were scored at 10 rpo thorugh the tournament. Bowlers from every team have gone for plenty of runs on this ground.

I am not justifying it. I am just saying that when you pick him, that's what you'd get. I already mentioned that the selectors are to be blamed for picking this "safe" and"tried and tested" team rather than going for an aggressive approach. I think considering all our batting struggles in the last few matches, 192 was a pretty good total. If bowlers had bowled the way they had in this tournament, we would have easily won. Problem is that when you have a total like 192, bowlers start becoming ultra defensive and don't go for wickets.

9 minutes ago, Texan said:

Dew is just one of the excuses we hear when Dhoni loses. I didn't see Dhoni say when we won it was because of dew factor. If so, then stop raving about Kohli's innings in the Aussie match and thank dew for letting us get to the semis. In every presentation ceremony, he should just say we won or lost because of dew factor and not because we played good or bad cricket.

That match was played at Mohali and there was not much dew there in that game.

7 minutes ago, asterix said:

You have to consider the Captains comfort.. He's done well in ODIs with the same team. Obviously he'll take his ODI team to play T20s too...

isnt the England team same for ODI and T20s? They've done well with the same team in LOIs...

That is the way England is approaching both ODIs and T20s. One point to note is that they bat pretty deep too. I think even their number 11, Liam Plunkett has two first class hundreds. Our number 10, Mr. Nehra just walks away towards leg stump and asks the bowler - which stump do you want to hit, sir?

4 minutes ago, Texan said:

I am not justifying it. I am just saying that when you pick him, that's what you'd get. I already mentioned that the selectors are to be blamed for picking this "safe" and"tried and tested" team rather than going for an aggressive approach. I think considering all our batting struggles in the last few matches, 192 was a pretty good total. If bowlers had bowled the way they had in this tournament, we would have easily won. Problem is that when you have a total like 192, bowlers start becoming ultra defensive and don't go for wickets.

have you bowled with a wet leather ball. You will how difficult it is to bowl once the ball is wet. You are obviously wont be able to bowl where you want as the ball slips from your hand. Bumrah could not land his yorkers, tell me the reason, wet ball.

Just now, rkt.india said:

have you bowled with a wet leather ball. You will how difficult it is to bowl once the ball is wet. You are obviously wont be able to bowl where you want as the ball slips from your hand. Bumrah could not land his yorkers, tell me the reason, wet ball.

And you think with a 7 PM start, the WI bowlers did not face this problem?

6 minutes ago, Texan said:

I am question his selection too. This was the pitch where Dhawan was needed and we played Rahane. We had such a long batting line with flat track to boot.

17 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Not only that the ball doesn't griot the pitch too thus negating any spin. However I did notice Ashwin still managing to spin the ball... Can't understand why Dickhead Dhoni never gives him full quota of overs...

there are reasons when we say Dhoni as captain is a dickhead... If you don't allow anybody else to captain innLOIs you won't see the difference it makes... Dhoni too realises that and hence is not allowing anybody else to captain in T20s...

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

one word Dew. Dew was the reason Bumrah could not execute his yorkers well. Benn and Badri bowled well because we let them bowl and showed no intent to score of them. We hit 1 six in last 14 overs showed our timid approach.

Then they should have practiced with wet balls before the match as they knew the game was at wankhede. But I am sure they didn't.

Dhoni and management just prayed that they will win toss and bat second. That's how I felt and the team selection was done keeping in mind they might chase. 

Bottom line, it was a bad toss to lose and the team wasn't prepared for batting first or bowling in dew. 

Edited by WC2011INDIA