3rd Test and Final Series report card

maniac

3rd Test Report Card

M.Vijay-2/10-Another average outing for Vijay..Failed in both innings..Needs that big innings now to turn it around fast.

G.Gambhir-5/10-Average 1st innings and a 50 in the 2nd innings....still think it is a retrograde step to give him another shot but for what it's worth did decently in the 2nd innings....gone are the days when you would expect him to score big at least at home or on spinning tracks....also the weak link in the field compared to his team mates.

C.Pujara-9/10-Has been in great form....decent 1st innings but a 100 in the 2nd innings makes him one of the outstanding performers in this test...Also very good S/R in the 2nd innings given all the debate about his S/R before the start of the series.

V.Kohli-9/10-Another 200 which is an outstanding effort......but an average outing in the 2nd innings.....Also playing Gambhir ahead of a young performer kind of makes me dock a point here....Indian fans have expected that we are going to usher in a new era under Kohli where exciting talents will be given a trial but playing Gambhir and also to some extent a tired Shami or even Yadav when the series is already won, kind of makes me sceptical about my expectations and excitement about his captaincy where things will be totally new and refreshing.

A.Rahane-10/10-Perfect game...Runs,unbeaten in 2nd innings + 3 catches...can't ask for more

R.Sharma-8/10-S/R of 80+ with 2 more 6's to add to his tally and an unbeaten 50 to force the pace in the 1st innings.....these imapct innings just keep coming don't they?......docking 2 points here because in the 1st innings when a partnership was going on in the 1st innings,should have spoken to the captain and taken the initiative by saying "Look captain,things are not happening...let me roll my arm over and knock a couple of these kiwis with my unplayable off spin"

R.Jadeja-6/10-Decent outing with the ball-4 wickets and unbeaten in the 1st innings but a S/R of 62.00 when the requirement was to force the pace.....Also running on the pitch despite warnings doesn't help his cause.....not something expected from a cricketer playing internationals for almost a decade now.

R.Ashwin-10/10-Self-explanatory.....another perfect 10....runouts+wickets...responsible for 15 dismissals in this test.

W.Saha-6/10-Didn't get much to do with the bat.Not a single catch/Stumping in the game..but his safe keeping behind the stumps gets him the 6  points alone...bit harsh but it just one of those non-memorable games in his career.

U.Yadav-6/10-Very economical in the 2nd innings and also got the only wicket from a pacer from the Indian side

M.Shami-4/10-No wickets + a little on the expensive side in the 2nd innings....Took 1 catch....but overall nothing notable.

Final report card on the series to follow

Edited by maniac

Final Series Report Card

M.Vijay4/10

S.Dhawan-2/10

K.L.Rahul-5/10

G.Gambhir-5/10

C.Pujara-9/10

A.Rahane-8/10

V.Kohli-6/10

R.Sharma-8/10

R.Ashwin-10/10

W.Saha-7/10

R.Jadeja-8/10

B.Kumar-8/10

U.Yadav-5/10 

M.Shami-7/10

Even the color coding is Good,Average and Poor.....I am going to further separate it into 5 categories for the overall series

Standout Performers(10-9)-R.Ashwin.C.Pujara

Good Performers(8)-A.Rahane,R.Sharma,R.Jadeja,B.Kumar

Decent performers(7-6)-W.Saha,M.Shami,V.Kohli

Average performers(5)-U.Yadav,K.L.Rahul,G.Gambhir,M.Vijay*

Below Par performers(4 or below)-S.Dhawan

*I will give Vijay a grace of 4.5 to put him into the average category as I thought he was very pivotal in setting up the tone in the 1st test.

Edited by maniac
26 minutes ago, maniac said:

R.Sharma-8/10-S/R of 80+ with 2 more 6's to add to his tally and an unbeaten 50 to force the pace in the 1st innings.....these imapct innings just keep coming don't they?......docking 2 points here because in the 1st innings when a partnership was going on in the 1st innings,should have spoken to the captain and taken the initiative by saying "Look captain,things are not happening...let me roll my arm over and knock a couple of these kiwis with my unplayable off spin"

Not so sure about rolling his arm over but if he himself rolls over he would defo knock off a few kiwis on the way.