The "Flipper" of Bradd Hogg and the wrong 'un/Kuldeep Yadav

Cricketics

I believe that Brad Hogg had one of the best and the most least known flippers from a spin bowler and also that his wrong 'un was one of the best from all the bowlers seen in last 15-20 years.  If Kuldeep, who is already good friends with Hogg, can work on these two deliveries, he can be a serious ODI bowler who would definitely play every game in 2019 wc as these two deliveries will get him plenty of wickets in any part of the world. 

Let's look at the wrong 'un first. Hogg set Freddie up here big time by bowling him some regular conventional chinaman bowling and then followed it up with a wrong 'un. A very good surprise delivery as you can see.

Lively.gif

The Flipper

With the rise of Kuldeep in the minor league of Indian cricket, if Kuldeep can work on this similar flipper delivery and can execute it every now and then with perfection, he can be one of the best ODI spinners. He is someone who could play even ahead of Ashwin in ODI's or Mishra and Jadeja and definitely when playing overseas he could play ahead of all the spinners. 

Check out this delivery to one of the best players of spin in his time, Andy Flower, got surprised by the flipper, again showing how good a player you can be, flipper is not easy to play.

Lively.gif

Now here Ganguly, another pretty good player of spin, getting flipped in a Test match this time.

Lively.gif

For any spinner, it is a great surprise delivery to have in your armory.

Kuldeep looks to have a great control and energy to be a smart bowler. Luckily, we have found him way early in his career, unlike Hogg who was made to sit out for a long time after his debut in 1996 until Warne made way for him in 03 again. We have to throw in Kuldeep early in the Indian team. 

We have a special bowler in Kuldeep who already has his own strengths, and adding the aforementioned deliveries will only make him "The Deal".

37 minutes ago, tweaker said:

Kuldeep should have made the test team ahead of Mishra.He has shown by taking a 5 wicket haul against England that he can't be kept out for a long time.

It is fine, he has only gotten better playing more Ranji and then Mishra was also replaced by Jayant, who was also one of the finds of the series. 

Good set of bowlers we have now, just need to use them apporpriately. 

11 hours ago, tweaker said:

Kuldeep & Hogg were together with KKR for many seasons & Kuldeep may have learned lot of things from him .

Hogg can impart his huge experience to Kuldeep & Kuldeep is lucky that he was able to share the same dressing room as Hogg.

Yes, I read that he used to travel with Hogg and sit next to Hogg, so I am sure he must have learned a thing or two from him. But these things like flipper and googly only come with lot of hours of practice in the nets. Hogg had lot of control, and Kuldeep seems to be the perfect guy who can emulate this. 

No batsman likes facing a wrong 'un then flipper and then. With these strengths, Kuldeep can literally slow the runrate down of the opposition. 

Kuldeep  has richly rated the influence Brad Hogg has brought to his bowling. He, in fact, treats the 45-year old veteran chinaman as a fatherly figure, who has more bowling experience than Kuldeeps age. He is the man who supported me a lot when I was sitting out. During net sessions, he always said to me to bowl a particular way. He taught me how to bowl theflipper, chinaman, how to vary the pace and everything.

“He is like a father you can say to have in our team. So it really helped me. It was a good experience in KKR to interact with someone like Hogg .

Source :ucnews.in

7 minutes ago, tweaker said:

Kuldeep  has richly rated the influence Brad Hogg has brought to his bowling. He, in fact, treats the 45-year old veteran chinaman as a fatherly figure, who has more bowling experience than Kuldeeps age. He is the man who supported me a lot when I was sitting out. During net sessions, he always said to me to bowl a particular way. He taught me how to bowl theflipper, chinaman, how to vary the pace and everything.

“He is like a father you can say to have in our team. So it really helped me. It was a good experience in KKR to interact with someone like Hogg .

Source :ucnews.in

Flipper. I like to hear it. He needs to apply it now, hopefully he is already doing so. 

Indian leg spinners or wrist spinners never had a mean flipper apart from Kumble who was a different breed. Chawla and Mishra both have world class googlies but their quicker one's suck and they are slower through air and don't have a quick zip of the pitch,that is why they get tonked around in unfavorable conditions.

3 minutes ago, maniac said:

Indian leg spinners or wrist spinners never had a mean flipper apart from Kumble who was a different breed. Chawla and Mishra both have world class googlies but their quicker one's suck and they are slower through air and don't have a quick zip of the pitch,that is why they get tonked around in unfavorable conditions.

It is not an easy thing to implement. That is why there are not many who bowled regularly other than Warne and Kumble and Hogg. 

It needs plenty of practice. There is one thing bowling a flipper and other thing looking predictable like Afridi and bowling a fast one. Flipper is an art and a surprise ball and hence Kuldeep will do well to be an exponent of it.

3 minutes ago, maniac said:

It is not an easy thing to implement. That is why there are not many who bowled regularly other than Warne and Kumble and Hogg. 

It needs plenty of practice. There is one thing bowling a flipper and other thing looking predictable like Afridi and bowling a fast one. Flipper is an art and a surprise ball and hence Kuldeep will do well to be an exponent of it.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between a flipper and the wrong 'un? I know the wrong 'un spins the other way, so does the flipper bounce more than the stock ball?

A flipper is released from the front of the hand while the wrong un is released from the back of the hand.A flipper is released with a lot of back spin meaning it travels faster drops and doesnt bounce much and skids through.

15 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Well it is a back spin ball so unless it is comes quicker, it can not be termed as a flipper. 

Look at a lot of Shane warne dismissals off the flipper...he usually sets up batsmen by bowling a  short pitch lollipop conventional delivery and then unleash a flipper...The batsman will think he can pull the ball as when it pitches it looks normal but then deceives him when it takes off the pitch  so the batsman gets bowled or LBW

Edited by maniac
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between a flipper and the wrong 'un? I know the wrong 'un spins the other way, so does the flipper bounce more than the stock ball?

Flipper is bowled from front of hand, atleast warne use to bowl it, while googly is back of hand, leg spin is more side ways, zooter is bowled by using more palm than fingers, slider is more like under cut, with side way action and top spinner is more of up right seam with side way action to get more bounce.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

56 minutes ago, maniac said:

Look at a lot of Shane warne dismissals off the flipper...he usually sets up batsmen by bowling a  short pitch lollipop conventional delivery and then unleash a flipper...The batsman will think he can pull the ball as when it pitches it looks normal but then deceives him when it takes off the pitch  so the batsman gets bowled or LBW

Yes, but flipper definition includes faster one. When Insay fast, the ball has to hurry on to the stump. Warne's one did that too. And so did Kumble's.