Every IPL Playing XI should have two slots for uncapped Indian players

express bowling

2 minutes ago, Sidhoni said:

Ishant is not even in the discussion lol. I was just calling you out for bringing PSL in the discussion of T20 leagues. That league is a joke and doesn't deserve to be talked about in an IPL forum.

I asked whether an uncapped player should be selected, which is the premise of the Thread.

Please read carefully before posting next time

3 minutes ago, Pixel said:

I asked whether an uncapped player should be selected, which is the premise of the Thread.

Please read carefully before posting next time

Ok please go watch PSL for all the uncapped youngsta beauties.

Your home league is surely better than PSL though, its a pity you ignore BBL like that.

I agree with the OP's desire, but IPL should stick to meritocracy - no "reservations" required.  If the young players are good enough, they will find their way into the team.  As the thread responses have pointed out, most teams end up playing a couple of young prospects anyway.   And why shouldn't the likes of Amit Mishra, Harbhajan Singh, Zaheer Khan continue to earn after their international careers are done, if they are good enough to get contracts?

One thing I like about the IPL is that compared to the rest of the pretender leagues all over the world - it allocates the biggest chunk of revenue for player salaries.  I mean, its not even close.  The BBL for example, pays about 10% of what IPL players make - and that's at the top end.  Rest of the money is hoovered up by the suits in the name of "cricket".   The others, just don't make enough money to pay the players fairly even if they wanted to.  Which they don't, really.    

One problem that some new players sometimes face,  over well known names like Bhajji , is recognition. It is often not known what they bring to the table, especially to franchises who do not follow domestic cricket as closely as some others. 

We sometimes see a Munaf get a game much more easily than a Nathu. 

There is also the issue of " Old boys' club ".  A Sehwag vouches for an Ishant more easily.

There factors sometimes ( not always )  influence meritocracy.

Flip side how good it is for young uncapped players to play against and play with legends like Zak and bhaji . Can only learn 

meritocracy I say . Plus lots of uncapped players in teams . No real issues. If anything reduce overseas player by one and more uncapped players will naturally get in 

also just cos capped by India why does that mean should not play . Chance to show case and get back in . 

27 minutes ago, King Tendulkar said:

Flip side how good it is for young uncapped players to play against and play with legends like Zak and bhaji . Can only learn 

meritocracy I say . Plus lots of uncapped players in teams . No real issues. If anything reduce overseas player by one and more uncapped players will naturally get in 

also just cos capped by India why does that mean should not play . Chance to show case and get back in . 

Who is stopping the capped players and retired ones from playing  ?  There will still be 5 open slots.

2 hours ago, express bowling said:

One problem that some new players sometimes face,  over well known names like Bhajji , is recognition. It is often not known what they bring to the table, especially to franchises who do not follow domestic cricket as closely as some others. 

We sometimes see a Munaf get a game much more easily than a Nathu. 

There is also the issue of " Old boys' club ".  A Sehwag vouches for an Ishant more easily.

There factors sometimes ( not always )  influence meritocracy.

Agree - and sometimes the old boys do get an extra chance or 2.  But at the end of the day, the pressure to win will make sure that the cream rises to the top.  A Sehwag isn't going to give Ishant chance after chance if he's not getting the job done, and a Nathu on the bench can.   But it could also be that the Nathu on the bench may not be the finished product yet - as fans we are all eager to see the next young things in action - whereas for the captain, coach etc its more important to be able to trust the guys he picks to play for the game.   Rather than "the future" that we as fans are more concerned about.

And you guys are forgetting - all of these issues will disappear once the IPL starts expanding.  Right now, I don't think there are enough players on the bench, or not selected in auction to really support 12 teams - the top level talent simply doesn't exist.  10 teams? Maybe.   No need to change the # of overseas players, or add some quota to get uncapped players in.  Expansion will take care of this very easily.  I think 10 teams is not far away at all.  And can be easily supported by existing player pool.  Economically the IPL can easily be a 12 team league in 10 years - which I'm fairly certain it will be.  

17 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Agree - and sometimes the old boys do get an extra chance or 2.  But at the end of the day, the pressure to win will make sure that the cream rises to the top.  A Sehwag isn't going to give Ishant chance after chance if he's not getting the job done, and a Nathu on the bench can.   But it could also be that the Nathu on the bench may not be the finished product yet - as fans we are all eager to see the next young things in action - whereas for the captain, coach etc its more important to be able to trust the guys he picks to play for the game.   Rather than "the future" that we as fans are more concerned about.

Don't disagree with some of the points. Would just like to add that throwing a youngster into an actual match often makes him into a finished product much earlier than expected.....like we are seeing with Thampi.

And that is the point of this thread. Without any stipulations, captains and coaches are bound to look at immediate results as opposed to player development. But I sincerely doubt that a fit Nathu would be way worse than a Dhawal or a Munaf after he gains experience of a couple of matches.

Edited by express bowling

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

Don't disagree with some of the points. Would just like to add that throwing a youngster into an actual match often makes him into a finished product much earlier than expected.....like we are seeing with Thampi.

And that is the point of this thread. Without any stipulations, captains and coaches are bound to look at immediate results as opposed to player development. But I sincerely doubt that a fit Nathu would be way worse than a Dhawal or a Munaf after he gains experience of a couple of matches.

Can't expect a for-profit league to put player development ahead of winning games - You'll see the good teams do that anyway because they expect to accrue the benefit themselves in the later games of the season.  

Like I said, I agree with what you are asking for - want to see more opportunities for the younger up and coming players over the oldies - and it is happening slowly but surely.   Look at Nitish Rana batting at #3 for Bombay, and Axar Patel being the lead spinning allrounder for KXIP.  Siraj and Thampi have gotten opportunities and grabbed them as well.  Nathu's time will come if he's worthy.  

I do not agree that the criteria should be set for selecting uncapped players. IPL is a high profile tourney rather than just coaching class. One or two coaching sessions is fine, but allowing underperformers to play in all matches does not helps team goals. Use Syed Muhtaq Ali T20 or Zonal T20 as learning tournaments for uncapped players. Performance and results are of utmost importance in IPL. Can't force Gujarat to play below average Thampi in every match. And Shivil Kaushik for whichever team he plays. Why should under performers get assured slot in playing 11 ? 

If uncapped Thampi and Shivil had given performance like Krunal Pandya, Rishabh Pant, Nitish Rana etc then it is fine to let them play in each and every match. But with the quality they have shown, no way should a free pass be given to such under performers. Let them earn their place.

Edited by Straight Drive

Heath Streak - a coach I rate highly - on Thampi, Nathu and Natarajan - seems to rate Thampi highest among the bunch.  Explained that with the return of Jadeja and the success that Tye has had, they felt they had the balance of experience to give more opportunities to the younger pace bowlers.  Makes a bit of sense why we saw the golden oldies Munaf and Praveen bowling for the Loins early in the season.