Any practice matches for India before CT?

4 minutes ago, kubrickian said:

That's only in India and BD. Averages 40 in Aus and Eng with Strike rate above 80. Played a blinder of an innings against SA in World Cup.

And that innings has haunted us ever since. That fluky innings is the reason we have been saddled with him for so long.

21 hours ago, Ultimate_Game said:

Rahane is shyte in shorter formats. He starts off slowly and despite getting set never scores at a brisk pace. Plus he seldom makes a big score. Rahane's as mediocre as they come in shorter formats and for a team like India which has plenty of options, he shouldn't be in any short format squad.

Don't care about stats but Rahane is a very good player against swing and hostile fast bowling. Also he plays much better on sluggish pitch. While I agree he shouldn't be in ODI team when flat pitches are served, he is a good player to have in the squad just in case conditions are difficult. Lately he has been cursed like he is worst ever batsman. Rohit, Dhawan, kohli,Yuvraj, dhoni will struggle in swinging conditions. Kedar don't know. That's your entire batting lineup. LOL. Squad needs to be complete in all aspects and not just one dimensional.

4 minutes ago, Pollack said:

Don't care about stats but Rahane is a very good player against swing and hostile fast bowling. Also he plays much better on sluggish pitch. While I agree he shouldn't be in ODI team when flat pitches are served, he is a good player to have in the squad just in case conditions are difficult. Lately he has been cursed like he is worst ever batsman. Rohit, Dhawan, kohli,Yuvraj, dhoni will struggle in swinging conditions. Kedar don't know. That's your entire batting lineup. LOL. Squad needs to be complete in all aspects and not just one dimensional.

Rahane is not a good player of any type of bowling in shorter formats. He's like VVS Laxman - good in Tests and crap in shorter format. And Rahane's comparison with Rohit, Dhawan, Kohli, Yuvraj, Dhoni etc. is simply laughable. Every single one of those batsmen has won matches for India single handedly and on their day can do so easily.

But Rahane has played 70 odd odis for India and till now hasn't won a match on his own even once. That's a pretty poor record. Even someone like Manish Pandey and kedar Jadhav who are newbies in the Indian team have had a signature match winning innings but not Rahane despite playing for India since the last 6-7 years over 70 odd games.

1 hour ago, Ultimate_Game said:

Rahane is not a good player of any type of bowling in shorter formats. He's like VVS Laxman - good in Tests and crap in shorter format. And Rahane's comparison with Rohit, Dhawan, Kohli, Yuvraj, Dhoni etc. is simply laughable. Every single one of those batsmen has won matches for India single handedly and on their day can do so easily.

But Rahane has played 70 odd odis for India and till now hasn't won a match on his own even once. That's a pretty poor record. Even someone like Manish Pandey and kedar Jadhav who are newbies in the Indian team have had a signature match winning innings but not Rahane despite playing for India since the last 6-7 years over 70 odd games.

Take a deep breath and read my post again. Maybe you can better comprehend. Where did I compare Rahane to dhoni,Yuvraj,dhawan,kohli etc. 

Rest of your post is just conveniently ignoring the point I was making that having played better in swinging conditions in tests he can be a good player to have in the squad if the conditions are overwhelmingly swinging throughout the tournament.Cannot be more clearer than this. I hope you do know when there is swing batsman don't need to score at very high strike rate which is Rahane's shortcoming.

Also Rahane plays better on sluggish pitches though such pitches are not offered in England.If you notice in the IPL final every single batsman was finding it difficult including Krunal(wasn't comfortable but stuck around and hit a few). The only batsman who looked completely comfortable was Rahane only. He makes a squad complete.

Edited by Pollack
14 minutes ago, Pollack said:

Take a deep breath and read my post again. Maybe you can better comprehend. Where did I compare Rahane to dhoni,Yuvraj,dhawan,kohli etc. 

Rest of your post is just conveniently ignoring the point I was making that having played better in swinging conditions in tests he can be a good player to have in the squad if the conditions are overwhelmingly swinging throughout the tournament.Cannot be more clearer than this. I hope you do know when there is swing batsman don't need to score at very high strike rate which is Rahane's shortcoming.

Also Rahane plays better on sluggish pitches though such pitches are not offered in England.If you notice in the IPL final every single batsman was finding it difficult including Krunal(wasn't comfortable but stuck around and hit a few). The only batsman who looked completely comfortable was Rahane only. He makes a squad complete.

Times have changed and so have the odis. Rahane already was a misfit when the odi totals were around 270-300 range. In today's world where likes of England, Aus and SA try to go for 350, Rahane is fish out of water. Plus it's not as if Rahane is some giant killer on "seaming and swinging" conditions in shorter formats as you make it sound. We all saw what he did in Asia Cup against Amir when he was confronted with seam/swing friendly conditions - got a 1st ball duck. If that's the case why even bother?

As for England conditions, Raina has a pretty good record in England and the theory about pitches in England which somehow Rahane can master is a joke. England pitches these days lead to 350ish totals. Plus CT isn't a tourney like a WC where you load up players like Rahane thinking you might need them. It's a short tourney with 5 matches if you make it to the finals and you go with ones who can win you matches. Rahane can't. Show me one match Rahane has single handedly won on his own in his entire career. i haven't seen that happen. It's a sad state of affairs that the only player comparable to Rahane is playing for padosis (Azhar Ali) and we all know how padosis are in terms of batting. There is no reason to have a liability like Rahane in the squad in the name of making squad 'complete".

Likes of Aus, Eng & SA will go with batsmen like Warner, Lynn, Jason Roy, Alex Hales, Quinton De Kock etc. at the top of the order and our answer to them would be Rahane in case Rohit or Dhawan get injured :facepalm: 

Edited by Ultimate_Game
On 2017-5-23 at 8:43 PM, WC2011INDIA said:

I will legitimately be shocked if this team reaches the final with players like Rahane. I can guarantee you that in whichever match he gets to play, we will lose that. Take it in writing. Most manhoos player in ODIs/T20s.

Manhoos is saying he brings bad luck when he simply isn't an ODI player.

20 hours ago, Ultimate_Game said:

Times have changed and so have the odis. Rahane already was a misfit when the odi totals were around 270-300 range. In today's world where likes of England, Aus and SA try to go for 350, Rahane is fish out of water. Plus it's not as if Rahane is some giant killer on "seaming and swinging" conditions in shorter formats as you make it sound. We all saw what he did in Asia Cup against Amir when he was confronted with seam/swing friendly conditions - got a 1st ball duck. If that's the case why even bother?

As for England conditions, Raina has a pretty good record in England and the theory about pitches in England which somehow Rahane can master is a joke. England pitches these days lead to 350ish totals. Plus CT isn't a tourney like a WC where you load up players like Rahane thinking you might need them. It's a short tourney with 5 matches if you make it to the finals and you go with ones who can win you matches. Rahane can't. Show me one match Rahane has single handedly won on his own in his entire career. i haven't seen that happen. It's a sad state of affairs that the only player comparable to Rahane is playing for padosis (Azhar Ali) and we all know how padosis are in terms of batting. There is no reason to have a liability like Rahane in the squad in the name of making squad 'complete".

Likes of Aus, Eng & SA will go with batsmen like Warner, Lynn, Jason Roy, Alex Hales, Quinton De Kock etc. at the top of the order and our answer to them would be Rahane in case Rohit or Dhawan get injured :facepalm: 

Most of your post is again irrelevant. Everybody knows ODI games and approach to it has changed but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have at least one player in the squad (not even saying he should start in playing eleven) who has ability to better tackle just in case we don't get what is generally expected that is good batting conditions.

As for what will happen if either of Rohit or Dhawan gets injured and pitches are batting friendly that is why everyone was gunning for Pant selection.If the conditions are difficult Rahane could replace and if batting friendly Pant. Selectors are already carrying over the expiry date players like Dhoni and Yuvraj and all that you blame them for is Rahane's selection only. Lmao. 

Rahane should've been thrown out of ODI's long before but his selection for CT is not unfair due to the reason he has been selected.

8 minutes ago, Pollack said:

Most of your post is again irrelevant. Everybody knows ODI games and approach to it has changed but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have at least one player in the squad (not even saying he should start in playing eleven) who has ability to better tackle just in case we don't get what is generally expected that is good batting conditions.

As for what will happen if either of Rohit or Dhawan gets injured and pitches are batting friendly that is why everyone was gunning for Pant selection.If the conditions are difficult Rahane could replace and if batting friendly Pant. Selectors are already carrying over the expiry date players like Dhoni and Yuvraj and all that you blame them for is Rahane's selection only. Lmao. 

Rahane should've been thrown out of ODI's long before but his selection for CT is not unfair due to the reason he has been selected.

We don't need to carry a player based on a hunch that pitches in England will be "bowler friendly". They aren't and stats back it up over the last couple of years. And even if pitches are bowler friendly, you are wrong in assuming that Rahane will suddenly win you matches. He won't. He has never done shyte even on pitches with something in it. Recent Asia Cup was the best example of the same and Rahane somehow able to handle difficult pitches in shorter formats is a myth.

Selectors may get criticism for carrying Yuvraj and Dhoni but at least they have won matches for India. What has Rahane ever done? Which matches has he won over the last 5-6 years despite playing 70 odd odis for India? In fact I would still back Yuvraj and Dhoni to contribute more than Rahane coz Rahane simply doesn't have the ability to make a difference in shorter formats.

5 minutes ago, Ultimate_Game said:

We don't need to carry a player based on a hunch that pitches in England will be "bowler friendly". They aren't and stats back it up over the last couple of years. And even if pitches are bowler friendly, you are wrong in assuming that Rahane will suddenly win you matches. He won't. He has never done shyte even on pitches with something in it. Recent Asia Cup was the best example of the same and Rahane somehow able to handle difficult pitches in shorter formats is a myth.

Selectors may get criticism for carrying Yuvraj and Dhoni but at least they have won matches for India. What has Rahane ever done? Which matches has he won over the last 5-6 years despite playing 70 odd odis for India? In fact I would still back Yuvraj and Dhoni to contribute more than Rahane coz Rahane simply doesn't have the ability to make a difference in shorter formats.

You are right. One asia cup game seals it. Rahane cannot play swing. It was ghost of Rahul dravid playing in test matches instead of Rahane. :bow:

2 minutes ago, Pollack said:

You are right. One asia cup game seals it. Rahane cannot play swing. It was ghost of Rahul dravid playing in test matches instead of Rahane. :bow:

Give me one example where Rahane won the match for India on his own despite playing for so many years and logging 70+ matches. in most of these matches he played in the top order so he had enough opportunities. Even likes of Manish Pandey and Kedar jadhav have won a match on their own despite playing fraction of matches. If you don't have the ability to win a match on your own, you don't deserve to be in the Indian team. Rahane doesn't in shorter formats.

2 minutes ago, Ultimate_Game said:

Give me one example where Rahane won the match for India on his own despite playing for so many years and logging 70+ matches. in most of these matches he played in the top order so he had enough opportunities. Even likes of Manish Pandey and Kedar jadhav have won a match on their own despite playing fraction of matches. If you don't have the ability to win a match on your own, you don't deserve to be in the Indian team. Rahane doesn't in shorter formats.

Yet again irrelevant question. Your answer bolded below. Already answered in one of my quotes.I

29 minutes ago, Pollack said:

If you don't understand the reason for his selection then discussion is futile. Lets end it here. This is the last post but am sure you still wont get it because you dont want to. :p:You keep on repeating the same thing again and again like when has he won matches on his own but forget that Rohit and Dhawan are our first choice openers not Rahane. He is not selected for his ability to win matches on his own. Not all players have ability to win matches on their own.

1 minute ago, Pollack said:

Yet again irrelevant question. Your answer bolded below. Already answered in one of my quotes.I

If you don't understand the reason for his selection then discussion is futile. Lets end it here. This is the last post but am sure you still wont get it because you dont want to. :p:You keep on repeating the same thing again and again like when has he won matches on his own but forget that Rohit and Dhawan are our first choice openers not Rahane. He is not selected for his ability to win matches on his own. Not all players have ability to win matches on their own.

No I'm not forgetting Rohit and Dhawan are first choice openers but what if one of them get injured? What if Rohit pulls a muscle or Dhawan rolls his ankle? Whom would you rather see as a replacement? Somebody like Pant or Rahane? The reason you assemble a squad is to replace the starters but in this case Rahane can't do so. We've already seen couple of matches where Eng put up 340 against SA and SL scored 318 against Aus. How does Rahane fit in any gameplan when these are the sort of scores we expect to see?

And yes for a team like India a batsman should be selected on the basis of whether the batsman has the ability to win a match. We're not like padosis with no options that we have to go with likes of Azhar Ali or Asad Shafiq. Rahane should not have been there and selectors have blundered in his continuous selection over the years despite getting no results.

On 5/24/2017 at 9:18 AM, WeStMiDz said:

Interesting to see Pakistan given two warm up games at edgbaston before the big game. 

good catch. Pak will get good practise before playing the game against India at the same ground

Edited by PBN

I like Rahane as a person.. very dedicated, awesome slip fielder, gives his all.. However, his limited over skills are not upto mark. Dhoni/Yuvi/Rahane , they all take their time to settle down..we can't have middle order with that sort of approach. Even then Yuvi/Dhoni can slog out to make up that strike rate but  Rahane can't..

Kohli played very safe in team selection it seems. I was watching 2013 Champions trophy highlights and 8 out of 11 are the same bunch of players.. that surprised me.

Edited by veer
20 minutes ago, Viper said:

Maggi

Dhawan/Rahane

Kohli

Yuvi 

Dhoni

Kedar

Pandya

Jaddu

Ashwin

Bhuvi

Bumrah

This is what lineup will look like... 

Maybe one of Ashwin or Jaddu can be replaced by Shami if the pitch supports pacers. On a slowish or spin friendly pitches the team is ok.