Video: Anil Kumble century & 600 Wickets thread

Video: Anil Kumble century & 600 Wickets thread  

1. 1.

my bet is tat he coulud get to 700 and beat warney's record in 2 yrs frm now. We are playing 7 tests in 2008 and 6 or 8 in 2009 (majority at home and pakistan). Assuming he gets 8-10 wkts every match, he can easily go past 750 by the end of 2009... i dont think kumble will retire before tat, as there is no pressure on him retire. There is no one on the bench threatening to replace him either. even if he thinks abt it, i think the selectors and the bcci wud talk to him and ask him to continue. going beyond murali magic is not possible i believe, unless murali decides to retire pre-maturely. i wud love to see an india and a srilankan ahead of the sick warney in the all times wickets standings...

from cricinfo article: That he has been an unusual spinner has been said many times before. It has also been said, a trifle unfairly, that he is a unidimensional bowler. Palpably, he has lacked the turn of Warne and Murali, but his variety has been subtler, far more apparent to batsmen than to viewers. He has shown that not only turn and flight that can deceive the batsman but also the changes of length and pace. He has been a cultured practitioner of his unique craft and a master of nuances. How many times have batsmen gone forward to find the ball not quite there, or gone back to find it hurrying on to them? It's only in the later years of his career that umpires over the world have started declaring batsmen lbw on the front foot. Had they been more amenable to one of Kumble's most natural modes of dismissal, he may even have had a hundred more wickets by now. He would perhaps have a few more if he didn't have to provide succour to his bowling colleagues who, for a substantial period of his career, couldn't soften up the top order as Glenn McGrath did for Warne. And with India's batting proving fragile overseas for the first 12 years of his career, he has often been pressed into damage control rather than hunting for wickets. Only in the last five years has he had the cushion of runs and the comfort of a pace bowling attack with some teeth. It has allowed Kumble the luxury of being more expressive and experimental. He has expanded his range, looked to bowl more googlies, slow the pace down, toss the ball up bit more and take more risks than he could afford in the earlier years. The results are revealing.

no way... you were hating AK the other day... no money for you. .instead you should donate some to me.. :D
Arre uss din to gusse mein bol diya tha...dil se bola tha dimaag se nahi......:(( Ab to milenge.....?:pray: Waisay ...did I say hate?:embaressed_smile: That is so bad!:tongue:
He has shown that not only turn and flight that can deceive the batsman but also the changes of length and pace. He has been a cultured practitioner of his unique craft and a master of nuances. How many times have batsmen gone forward to find the ball not quite there, or gone back to find it hurrying on to them? It's only in the later years of his career that umpires over the world have started declaring batsmen lbw on the front foot. Had they been more amenable to one of Kumble's most natural modes of dismissal, he may even have had a hundred more wickets by now.
So true!! But he has reached to this milestone by sheer determination!!! Well done Anil. Hope you get many more wickets for India, before calling it a day!! Congratulation and all the best!!

Congrats to the Legend .Most importantly that 600th wicket is so significant in the context of this match .A very very important break through for India and the man who made was the man who always did /does for India . What a champion cricketer he is .

Guess how I found out that Kumble took 600 anyone gets it right, will get $500 ICF
you read it on ICF ?
Watching ranji Finals and Arun lal praising australian batting after being 5 down and seeing delhi at 30 odd for 3 and he went from suresh raina to 'oh what a player and he got his 600th wicket', i was like wtf...switched to Ind/Aus immeditely

NewsI was motivated to prove my critics wrong: Kumble PTI :openWindowmail('/mail/2708435.cms')'> PERTH, January 17: Having become the third bowler in the world to scalp 600 Test wickets, Indian skipper Anil Kumble on Thursday admitted he was motivated to prove his critics wrong and criticism spurred him to strive for better results. "Right through my career, there have been a lot of criticisms, critics who egg you on to go out and prove yourself," said a visibly happy Kumble after the second day's play at WACA. "Whenever I was out of the team there was something for me to get better," he added. Kumble has been an unconventional bowler during his career so far but he said in order to succeed it never really mattered to him. "What is important for a bowler is to put doubts in the mind of the batsmen, something which I have been able to do for all these years." "It doesn't matter whether you bowl bouncers, swing it, spin or bowl it with pace. The important thing is to create doubts in the mind of a batsman." Fittingly, Kumble's 600th wicket came off a catch by his state pal Rahul Dravid who has taken the most catches -- 56 -- off his bowling. Also at hand was Adam Gilchrist, the not out batsman for Australia, at the crease. "He (Gilchrist) had called me up from Bangladesh when I took my 500 Test wicket and today, at the end of the day, I jokingly told him it would have been great if he was my 600th victim," he said. Kumble, when he started his career as a 13-year-old, was given only three balls to bowl by the selectors but he does not look back at it with any regret or rancour. "The kind of selection we have back home, when you're a 13 or 14-year-old, there are 1000 kids to show their talent." Kumble has picked up 220 wickets in the last four years and put it down to his experience of bowling in different conditions. "I probably am more relaxed and the experience I have had of bowling in different conditions, has been a help", he pointed out. Coming back to the state of the third Test, Kumble praised his seamers but cautioned that there was still a lot of cricket left in the game. "It's important that we play good cricket. We have done so in the last two days and if we can carry the momentum tomorrow, we have a great chance (of winning the Test)." "I am really proud of my seamers. If you look at the experience we have had, we have really held up together very well." "We came close to picking up Australia cheaply in Sydney on the first day. I am proud we have learnt where we left off." "RP, at such a young age, is leading the attack well. Irfan and Ishant supported him brilliantly." Kumble hoped Virender Sehwag would lead the way for India on the third day. "He's that sort of a batsman. He goes out and plays his game. If he stays there for a session or more, we would be in the driver's seat." http://cricket.indiatimes.com/I_was_motivated_to_prove_my_critics_wrong/articleshow/2708435.cms