'Hindization' - Passports to be in both English and HINDI: Sushma Swaraj

Rohit S. Ambani

5 minutes ago, someone said:

Haha, English doesn't help us survive in all part of the world, yet we use it as many parts of the world we can be fine with it. It's the exact same case for Hindi, it won't help us survive all of India, but for many parts we will be fine. Checkmate/

And what a loser mentality to say Hindi give zero support outside, does the Chinese, Arabic, Russian think like that? They very proudly use it as many places as possible.

it won't help us survive all of India, but for many parts we will be fine.

This is what i said

It's better for them to learn the local language, Tamil if TN, Malayalam if Kerala, Kannada if KA. Same way if someone goes to Delhi from TN for work or settlement, He needs to learn Hindi to interact with people of Delhi.

And what a loser mentality to say Hindi give zero support outside, does the Chinese, Arabic, Russian think like that? They very proudly use it as many places as possible.

Does Russia,Arab countries,China have 22 different official language in their country like India?

We have Tamil and We will proudly will use it as many places as possible.

5 minutes ago, G_B_ said:

ok lets me break this down

(a) Clearly there are states in India where Hindi is not spoken (north east and south india)

(b) But India as a whole 65% of people understand Hindi at some level.

Before I move onto answering other parts of your retort. Can you please acknowledge this and stop using it as an argument?

Yeah, Those two points are fine.

Haha, English doesn't help us survive in all parts of the world, yet we use it as for many parts of the world we can be fine with it. It's the exact same case for Hindi, it won't help us survive all of India, but for many parts we will be fine. Checkmate/

And what a loser mentality to say Hindi give zero support outside, does the Chinese, Arabic, Russian think like that? They very proudly use their language as many places as possible.

We use our mother tongue just as proudly as the Chinese or Mongolise for that matter.

What relevance Hindi have here lol

Hindi is neither my language not something I have to be proud .It has as much relevance as french is.

21 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

No offence it's for Tamilians to decide.

Official language i for official government language purposes .

Tamilians can speak whatever they want. When ppl from rest of Ind visit TN, they expect signs in both Hindi and Eng 

They want ppl at hotels to be able to converse in either language. The local govt should be able to read / understand a letter in Hindi too

Much like when a Tamil visits Gujarat, Bengal, Punjab, etc., he should be able to get by without having to know the local language(s)

Edited by zen

2 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

It's not that simple GB.There a long history and a very bloody one as well. 

What if a Malayali travels through the highway .Which is far more likely than a Bihari ?

Why can't they have the sign in all three languages . That's why the paranoia comes when English is replaced with Hindi.Its always feels like a first step towards imposition and the unease steps in .

(a) Its really not that bloody. More people died in the movement to carve Bombay state into 3 bits than the Hindi agitations led by Anna Durai. The crux of the matter there was students having to take exams in Hindi to get posts as IAS officers (which even I disagree with). But the deeper root to this is to do with Periyar's self respect doctrine of not accepting anything from the north no matter what. If the North spoke a language which was used all the world over, DMK would still oppose it. Keep in mind the DMK themselves have imposed Tamil as being compulsory in TN via the learning act in 2006. 

(b)  My argument is simple.  India has 22 languages. Clearly there needs to be one pan standard in which not everybody will be catered for. A Malyali for eg is highly to know Tamil. I have been to Gujarat and even though I dont speak Gujarati I can understand signs due to the similarity of the language in terms of writing of letters and script. Hindi is meant for the truckers who are pan India in nature and mostly use highways. One big issue with the 3 lang formula in the case of highways was there was just not enough space for 3 languages to be written on the stumps. 

(c) The numbers on top and bottom are written in English. So even an English reader has been accommodated.

llo.JPG

8 minutes ago, StriKe said:

This is what i said

Does Russia,Arab countries,China have 22 different official language in their country like India?

We have Tamil and We will proudly will use it as many places as possible.

When India goes out to the world, it's represent the nation first, not the different states. There are two official national languages and Hindi is rightly so being promoted.

7 minutes ago, zen said:

Since Hindi is widely spoken / understood by a majority in Ind, the idea should be for ppl in Ind to be able to get by without knowing or making an attemp to learn a lang that is only spoken by a relatively small number of ppl and which is not going to be needed anywhere else except in those limited places

If someone say from a rural village in North moves to Madras for 3 years and then tlto Cochin for 2 years, he/she should be able to get by w/o knowing Eng. Similarly someone from South should be able to converse with rest of Ind w/o knowing Eng

Also the languages that you listed are not official union govt languages, and they are not as widely spoken as Hindi 

Yes you're correct. When he moves to Madras, He/she should take a extra step to learn the local's language and when he/she moves to Cochin, she/he have to learn Malayalam.

Same way learn Hindi when they move to different cities in North India.

Official languages

Assamese
Bengali
Bodo
Dogri
English[1][2][3]
Gujarati
Hindi[1][4]
Kannada
Kashmiri
Konkani
Maithili
Malayalam
Marathi
Meitei (Manipuri)
Nepali
Odia
Punjabi
Sanskrit
Santali
Sindhi
Tamil
Telugu
Urdu

FTR: I have never completely understood when a Bengali person (who grew up in Bengal) spoke to me in Hindi. But I've always understood them when spoken to in English.

For instance, I had told this one acquaintance of mine.

Agar aap Pedder Road ki taraf se aa rahein hain to Kemps Corner ke aage hai mera ghar.

Somehow the person took aage to mean before and not beyond.

So much for Hindi being Lingua Franca.

Tamilians can speak whatever they want. When ppl from rest of Ind visit TN, they expect signs in both Hindi and Eng 

They want ppl at hotels to be able to converse in either language. The local govt should be able to read a letter in Hindi too

They should learn Tamil when they come to visit Tamil Nadu.

Will the govt fund all the boarding costs for hotels and shops for the expenses then?

I work in Kerala and I don't expect boards everywhere to have English or Hindi.Tgey aren't either.

If ones go to a state they should adapt .Otherwise the fault is with them.Its the same for Tamilian going to Rajasthan or Bengali coming from to Kerala

Heck do you ever been to MP? There isn't a single board you can find in English .Everywhere it will be in Hindi.Do you find any south Indian moaning or complaining about it ? No they don't.

When people go somewhere they adopt .That's the nature.If not then the fault is with them.

(a) Its really not that bloody. More people died in the movement to carve Bombay state into 3 bits than the Hindi agitations led by Anna Durai. The crux of the matter there was students having to take exams in Hindi to get posts as IAS officers (which even I disagree with). But the deeper root to this is to do with Periyar's self respect doctrine of not accepting anything from the north no matter what. If the North spoke a language which was used all the world over, DMK would still oppose it. Keep in mind the DMK themselves have imposed Tamil as being compulsory in TN via the learning act in 2006. 

(b)  My argument is simple.  India has 22 languages. Clearly there needs to be one pan standard in which not everybody will be catered for. A Malyali for eg is highly to know Tamil. I have been to Gujarat and even though I dont speak Gujarati I can understand signs due to the similarity of the language in terms of writing of letters and script. Hindi is meant for the truckers who are pan India in nature and mostly use highways. One big issue with the 3 lang formula in the case of highways was there was just not enough space for 3 languages to be written on the stumps. 

© The numbers on top and bottom are written in English. So even an English reader has been accommodated.

llo.JPG

You are factually wrong.A Malayali can't understand a single letter of Tamil written.

The written scripts are nowhere near similar.

And no it's bloody because of the Hindi language agitations.

5 minutes ago, someone said:

When India goes out to the world, it's represent the nation first, not the different states. There are two official national languages and Hindi is rightly so being promoted.

Our nation is called as multi diversity and multiculturalism. This is what our country is famous for.

There is two right? We have option and we select English to speak outside India.

7 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

We use our mother tongue just as proudly as the Chinese or Mongolise for that matter. What relevance Hindi have here lol. Hindi is neither my language not something I have to be proud .It has as much relevance as french is.

Hindi is a part of our nation and so it's wrong mindset. I don't know Tamil but am proud of it as it is one of the oldest language and represents my nation. The union government needs to send it's message in both English and Hindi. And more in Hindi, as less people know English. While it's states government job to translate them if necessary to their regional language.

2 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

You are factually wrong.A Malayali can't understand a single letter of Tamil written.

The written scripts are nowhere near similar.

And no it's bloody because of the Hindi language agitations.

really? MGR is on record of saying he could work in the Tamil film industry cause of his Malyalee roots. Ie the languages are so similar.

Secondly in the context of India were million died during partition it really is not that bloody at all. 

4 minutes ago, StriKe said:

Our nation is called as multi diversity and multiculturalism. This is what our country is famous for.

There is two right? We have option and we select English to speak outside India.

What we speak in our own personal capacity is irrelevant. The question is what government should do. It's rightly making sure Hindi gets spread more around the nation and the world. Multi diversity also means you should learn different things so stop believing local language is better than mines. Our competition is not within but other foreign language, and English as no.1.

really? MGR is on record of saying he could work in the Tamil film industry cause of his Malyalee roots. Ie the languages are so similar.

Secondly in the context of India were million died during partition it really is not that bloody at all. 

A Malayali can understand spoken Tamil easily.But scripts are so different it's impossible to read unless then learn Tamil.

6 minutes ago, StriKe said:

Yes you're correct. When he moves to Madras, He/she should take a extra step to learn the local's language and when he/she moves to Cochin, she/he have to learn Malayalam.

Same way learn Hindi when they move to different cities in North India.

Ppl have to learn Hindi because it is widely spoken by the majority in Ind

Much like Chinese, Arabs would learn Eng, because it is widely spoken by those visiting their countries 

If I m transfered to lead a biz unit in Middle East, I would not be expected to learn Arabic

The issue here is that you are rating Tamil on par with Hindi, which is more widely spoken Ind and is also one of the two union govt languages. Whether we like it or not, Hindi is first among equals 

7 hours ago, StriKe said:

I just posted a image above showing Hindi is NOT spoken as majority in India.

The same census from Wiki you used,  from 2001 shows this

language.png

Right column, top cell. Hindi is spoken by 53.6 percent of Indians, a majority. 

Have you been to Andhara ? Kerala? TN ? KA? Their primary language is NOT Hindi, Telugu/Malayalam/Kannada is 1st language then English.

I never said that Hindi is the primary or secondary language in all states, only that a majority of Indians speak it, which is true: 53.6% is a majority. 

People  prefer English because we are not only speaking within India, as well as in companies,...Hindi gives ZERO important for living.

Except, for those living within India, migration tends to be to states where Hindi is spoken as a primary or secondary language. Check the table I posted. Karnataka and Andhra  in total get 6.6% migrants from other states. TN and Kerala get less than 2% each migrants from other states. The numbers don't lie, the economic argument shows Hindi as more important than English within India. 

8 hours ago, StriKe said:

Clients and to other countries in this world for work and living.

Every educational medium is English and we learn them so we are not left behind in this world.

Can you point out where Hindi is majorly spoken in Countries other than India ?

If you are talking about international clients, then maybe English gives a benefit. One doesn't have to invest in a translator to deal with clients. Also, if the goal of the Indian education system is that people migrate to other countries to work, then English could be a benefit.

The bolded is nonsense. If English were necessary to get ahead in the world, then India would be ahead of China, Japan, South Korea, etc. Countries teach in their mother tongues, it's why I don't support Hindi as the national language.

Please show some evidence that English has ensured that India doesn't get left behind in the world. 

I'm with my South Indian brothers and sisters on this one.

Who in their right mind would want to travel to MP, UP, Bihar, Jharkhand or Chattisgarh?? In Delhi, English works. Many Delhiites would even reply with a perfectly fake Boston accent too. No real need to learn Hindi.

Down with Hindi fascism!

Edited by Mariyam

3 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

A Malayali can understand spoken Tamil easily.But scripts are so different it's impossible to read unless then learn Tamil.

so surely they can ask around when travelling in TN which is even better than the signs.