Why Has Dhoni Lost His ODI Mojo?: Aakash Chopra

The Dhoni Question  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What should we do with Dhoni?

• Let him continue down the order, and trust him to work it out and eventually bring down his dot ball percentage
    • Drop him from the ODI squad
    • Move him to the middle order, batting at 4, so he possibly can get in by the 25th over, if 2 wickets go down.
    • Move him to the top order, so he has the power play to get in
  2. 2. If Dhoni retires or is dropped, who do you want to see take over the LOI wicket-keeping position?

On playing for reputation topic I fear that this greatest chaser reputation (deservingly so) will affect Kohli's mindset too..... already if rumors are true then his decision to bat 2nd in the CT final is one of them.

Having said that Kohli being one of the greatest chasers is a fact and some of the other statements thrown as facts are myths that has been busted before

Edited by maniac
4 minutes ago, maniac said:

I said playing on reputation and I have given examples of players who have played to live up to their reputation....Afridi's 6(2) type innings didn't help his personal milestones but they are categorized as selfish too.

In fact I consider Sehwag's later part of his career a bit of playing to keep his reputation...he tried  to play every inning at 100mph towards the end while his biggest success was also having a solid defense and playing out a tough spell and cashing in against the bad ball.

Same with Dhoni, he is taking this finisher myth too seriously which is hurting us rather than playing on the merit of the ball...keeping teams interest in mind is not taking it to the last over, it means as a batsman you need to cash in on lose deliveries as well and if required survive a tough spell.

I dont like to call any player selfish  ( one exception ), cant belive you call some one like Viru selfish as well . Players dont become selfish towards the end of their career , they loose their ability same case with Viru and Dhoni . The self belief is gone and he does not trust himself taking risks .

Dude you are not just a Tendulkar fan ( totally OK )  , but also a Rohit sharma fan ..and you go around accusing other players of being selfish ? 

I dont see our discussions going anywhere on this topic 

Just now, jusarrived said:

I dont like to call any player selfish  ( one exception ), cant belive you call some one like Viru selfish as well . Players dont become selfish towards the end of their career , they loose their ability same case with Viru and Dhoni . The self belief is gone and he does not trust himself taking risks .

Dude you are not just a Tendulkar fan ( totally OK )  , but also a Rohit sharma fan ..and you go around accusing other players of being selfish ? 

"Blocking" a "full toss" saying that that's the "way he plays"  what do you define it as?

by the way the word I used here is not selfish-I said believing in your own hype and myth.

I never accused Dhoni of not wanting to win like some others accuse one of the greatest players off all time...I said getting lost in your own hype to lose focus on reality

2 hours ago, maniac said:

Well on one hand you bring in a guy who has 100 100s and scored at a s/r of 80+ in an era where that was unheard of as selfish but a guy who "always plays like that" and doesn't "change his approach" when situation demands is selfless

Wah! I heard it all now

54 off 114 was never his style, clearly one of those days for him where he couldn't time anything and nothing went according to plan.

Also if we are checking SRs we should also check what his SR was when he was between 90-100 to determine how selfish/selfless he was.

Some good examples right here-people are criticizing Dhoni for his lack of ability and loss of grip on reality-No one had called him as someone who loses games on purpose,match fixer, un-patriotic etc.

Where as the defense of that seems to be calling a player selfish,not caring about the team etc.

so do the math

37 minutes ago, maniac said:

I said playing on reputation and I have given examples of players who have played to live up to their reputation....Afridi's 6(2) type innings didn't help his personal milestones but they are categorized as selfish too.

In fact I consider Sehwag's later part of his career a bit of playing to keep his reputation...he tried  to play every inning at 100mph towards the end while his biggest success was also having a solid defense and playing out a tough spell and cashing in against the bad ball.

Same with Dhoni, he is taking this finisher myth too seriously which is hurting us rather than playing on the merit of the ball...keeping teams interest in mind is not taking it to the last over, it means as a batsman you need to cash in on lose deliveries as well and if required survive a tough spell.

Thanks for letting me know I can't take you seriously

7 minutes ago, jusarrived said:

Never said they where not . They all tried in the best way then can and they all failed . 

well your post certainly didnt imply that. You said that Dhoni was trying for the team win because he was taking it to the last ball. Why didnt Pandya and Jadhav take it to the last ball? They could have tuk tuked like Dhoni did and lunge against the spinners and taking the match to the last over.

3 minutes ago, maniac said:

Some good examples right here-people are criticizing Dhoni for his lack of ability and loss of grip on reality-No one had called him as someone who loses games on purpose,match fixer, un-patriotic etc.

Where as the defense of that seems to be calling a player selfish,not caring about the team etc.

so do the math

5 hours ago, maniac said:

I think we are waiting for that 1 innings so that the "selfless" Dhoni can retire on a high.

Remember he took the high road the first chance he got when he finally managed to draw a test in Australia especially when he was "not out" at the end. People called him "selfless" for retiring in the middle of a series :giggle: 

Sure with Odi too it will take an innings like that...luckily next series is VS Srilanka,so hoping we will hear the retirement news :pray: 

Do the math yourself

5 minutes ago, maniac said:

"Blocking" a "full toss" saying that that's the "way he plays"  what do you define it as?

by the way the word I used here is not selfish-I said believing in your own hype and myth.

I never accused Dhoni of not wanting to win like some others accuse one of the greatest players off all time...I said getting lost in your own hype to lose focus on reality

I missed this full toss ball he blocked , I dont know if you can judge a player based on ball or an innings , but at best he got that wrong on many levels , partly his own abilities and I have been saying he needs to revisit his approach towards the game . I dont agree though he tries to take the game to last over intentionally , you actually giving too much credit here .

15 minutes ago, jusarrived said:

You clearly missed the context- just for the record I didn't say he was selfish,try reading again

Even Cricinfo was trolling Dhonis innings

India 90/3   MS Dhoni 21* (49b)

Bishoo to Dhoni, 1 run, good length outside off stump, pushed to cover off the back foot

Bishoo to Dhoni, 1 run, back of a length outside off stump, Dhoni rips his shirt off, howls like a werewolf, dances down the track and creams this to Bermuda goes on the back foot and drives to long-off

:rotfl:

3 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

well your post certainly didnt imply that. You said that Dhoni was trying for the team win because he was taking it to the last ball. Why didnt Pandya and Jadhav take it to the last ball? They could have tuk tuked like Dhoni did and lunge against the spinners and taking the match to the last over.

May be we can have this argument when Pandya and Jadhav playing like they way do now actually take India through in a chase . Hasnt happened yet !!

1 minute ago, jusarrived said:

May be we can have this argument when Pandya and Jadhav playing like they way do now actually take India through in a chase . Hasnt happened yet !!

Of course. They usually come into the game after dhoni sucks the momentum out of the innings so they are left to do so much. Maybe if they arrive at the crease with rrr of 3.5, their gameplan wont be to tuk tuk tuk and take the game to the last over.

4 minutes ago, maniac said:

You clearly missed the context- just for the record I didn't say he was selfish,try reading again

In fact I consider Sehwag's later part of his career a bit of playing to keep his reputation

In fact I consider Sehwag's later part of his career a bit of playing to keep his reputation

Afridi was a case of playing to the gallery.

Sehwag playing to keep up to his reputation

if you feel both are in the same boat sure I will say selfish. Even though I feel it's two

diffetent categories

1 minute ago, maniac said:

Dhoni has won 4-5 games with his strategy and lost 4-5 games playing like that so that evens it out to 0 out of 300 odd games.

So you seriously saying we lost the last game cos of Dhoni ? we where winning it otherwise ?

he walks in at 40/3 and lets assume gets out the next ball and from 40/4 Rahane/Jadhav and then Pandya would definitely take us through ? 

So you seriously saying we lost the last game cos of Dhoni ? we where winning it otherwise ?

he walks in at 40/3 and lets assume gets out the next ball and from 40/4 Rahane/Jadhav and then Pandya would definitely take us through ? 

We lost yesterday's game too because of lack

of ability of some bowlers or lower order failing to kick on- happens in cricket.

114 balls is criminal...how many deliveries you need to settle down in a OD game...after playing 70+ deliveries you need to start making up

for it...period