Can Krunal Pandya bat at #6 in the ODI team?

SecondSlip

Krunal’s strength seem to be his batting....not your run of the mill slogger...played some mature innings in IPL against good quality bowling as well.

Bowling is your run of the mill darter....maybe in the Axar Patel mould or marginally inferior.

However as the package deserves to be in LOIs 

1 minute ago, King Tendulkar said:

I don’t rate axar much . But I honestly feel they maybe at same level 

Axar is a hack with the bat....Krunal has played some mature innings in the IPL and has shown technique...as I said above his bowling might even be marginally inferior to Axar but his batting makes up for it.

Edited by maniac
1 minute ago, maniac said:

Axar is a hack with the bat....Krunal has played some mature innings in the IPL and has shown technique...as I said above his bowling might even be marginally inferior to Axar but his batting makes up for it.

Both shoudl not be in Indian squad . But frankly ain’t much in it . In fact yes krunal played some ipl knocks but axar played fc knocks of maturity . So it’s a draw on batting 

krunal needs to show a lot more imo before gets in 

7 minutes ago, King Tendulkar said:

Both shoudl not be in Indian squad . But frankly ain’t much in it . In fact yes krunal played some ipl knocks but axar played fc knocks of maturity . So it’s a draw on batting 

krunal needs to show a lot more imo before gets in 

I always put first class before ipl and that places axar far ahead of krunal... IMO if you need left arm spin bowling allrounder jaddu is still the best...and if you want batting allrounder try vijay shanker and deepak hooda they are big hitters with 50+ domestic average

55 minutes ago, SUMO said:

I always put first class before ipl and that places axar far ahead of krunal... IMO if you need left arm spin bowling allrounder jaddu is still the best...and if you want batting allrounder try vijay shanker and deepak hooda they are big hitters with 50+ domestic average

just what format are you referring to? It seems to me you are mixing up List A, FC and international matches (Tests/ODIs). For example, Jaddu is very ordinary in ODIs especially in recent times - he can't score/slog fast enough and his bowling is too 1D for ODIs. People are discussing Krunal not for Tests but for ODIs. In ODIs (and even more so in T20s), it's not having 50+ avgs in FC that matters -> List A is relatively more accurate. Krunal's stats (in his limited sample) in List A are comparable to Shankar. Hooda has a better record with the bat, but his bowling has dipped rapidly.

10 minutes ago, Vijy said:

just what format are you referring to? It seems to me you are mixing up List A, FC and international matches (Tests/ODIs). For example, Jaddu is very ordinary in ODIs especially in recent times - he can't score/slog fast enough and his bowling is too 1D for ODIs. People are discussing Krunal not for Tests but for ODIs. In ODIs (and even more so in T20s), it's not having 50+ avgs in FC that matters -> List A is relatively more accurate. Krunal's stats (in his limited sample) in List A are comparable to Shankar. Hooda has a better record with the bat, but his bowling has dipped rapidly.

I am of the opinion that even a brutal pinch hitter should have some kind of performance at first class level otherwise you would get exposed at international level... you can't always slog outswing, short ball cutters etc. of the top bowlers you need some technique to handle that.

likes of colin munro, miller, maxwell etc. have very good first class record for a reason

1 minute ago, SUMO said:

I am of the opinion that even a brutal pinch hitter should have some kind of performance at first class level otherwise you would get exposed at international level... you can't always slog outswing, short ball cutters etc. of the top bowlers you need some technique to handle that.

likes of colin munro, miller, maxwell etc. have very good first class record for a reason

Munro does have an excellent FC record but Maxwell or Miller have records that fall between above average and good (not "very good"). I would also point to players like Warner and Hardik who were selected despite not having played many FC matches and having a poor FC record respectively.

The point here is that Krunal Pandya isn't necessarily the "great big hope" or anything. It's just that, in the few opportunities he has gotten (a handful of "A" games and to a lesser degree the IPL), he has not done badly. More importantly, what he is known for in domestic/IPL is a set of skills that India needs in its No. 7 -> the ability to hit big, field well, and bowl tidily as the 5th/6th bowler (here I have assumed Hardik would bat at 6). Shankar is another possibility but I'm not sure if he can score sufficiently quickly and I don't know about his fielding either. It seems to me that the toss up between the 2nd all rounder spot should therefore be between Krunal and Shankar (assuming the Indian team goes that route instead of Jadhav).

7 minutes ago, SUMO said:

Totally agree 

4 minutes ago, Vijy said:

Munro does have an excellent FC record but Maxwell or Miller have records that fall between above average and good (not "very good"). I would also point to players like Warner and Hardik who were selected despite not having played many FC matches and having a poor FC record respectively.

The point here is that Krunal Pandya isn't necessarily the "great big hope" or anything. It's just that, in the few opportunities he has gotten (a handful of "A" games and to a lesser degree the IPL), he has not done badly. More importantly, what he is known for in domestic/IPL is a set of skills that India needs in its No. 7 -> the ability to hit big, field well, and bowl tidily as the 5th/6th bowler (here I have assumed Hardik would bat at 6). Shankar is another possibility but I'm not sure if he can score sufficiently quickly and I don't know about his fielding either. It seems to me that the toss up between the 2nd all rounder spot should therefore be between Krunal and Shankar (assuming the Indian team goes that route instead of Jadhav).

they avg 35+ which is good when you compare with pure batsman in those country...
I'm not asking krunal to avg 50, 40-45 would suffice to assure that he has good technique to be tried at top level.
I'm not averse to his selection but he needs to prove himself first meanwhile we should try rana hooda shanker etc. who are toiling hard in domestic.

Agree on warner but hardik was tried because no other option was left rishi dhawan and binny had failed...even pandya hasn't cemented his place yet

7 minutes ago, SUMO said:

they avg 35+ which is good when you compare with pure batsman in those country...
I'm not asking krunal to avg 50, 40-45 would suffice to assure that he has good technique to be tried at top level.
I'm not averse to his selection but he needs to prove himself first meanwhile we should try rana hooda shanker etc. who are toiling hard in domestic.

Agree on warner but hardik was tried because no other option was left rishi dhawan and binny had failed...even pandya hasn't cemented his place yet

For the shorter formats, Hooda could be considered but he needs to start bowling more since his bowling in List A has been dipping since his debut season. I assume you were referring to Nitish Rana who is more of a part timer than a batting allrounder IMO. Agree regd what you wrote about shankar for shorter formats.

5 minutes ago, Vijy said:

For the shorter formats, Hooda could be considered but he needs to start bowling more since his bowling in List A has been dipping since his debut season. I assume you were referring to Nitish Rana who is more of a part timer than a batting allrounder IMO. Agree regd what you wrote about shankar for shorter formats.

atleast they can do whats kedar is doing i.e  4-5 overs max that too on a very bad day... batting would be more important from no.5 and we should pick best option available

1 minute ago, SUMO said:

atleast they can do whats kedar is doing i.e  4-5 overs max that too on a very bad day... batting would be more important from no.5 and we should pick best option available

I also hope that they can avg >40 at a SR above 100 which, for all his failings, Jadhav has managed. I don't have anything against him, but do not see him as a long-term option and of course some of his innings just padded his avg/SR without changing result.

2 minutes ago, Vijy said:

I also hope that they can avg >40 at a SR above 100 which, for all his failings, Jadhav has managed. I don't have anything against him, but do not see him as a long-term option and of course some of his innings just padded his avg/SR without changing result.

his 2 innings against england was so good that his overall figures looks impressive but its misleading...
his problem is lack of big hits and poor technique against good pace bowler...exposed in the aus odi that we lost...even after getting set he couldn't accelerate.

23 minutes ago, SUMO said:

his 2 innings against england was so good that his overall figures looks impressive but its misleading...
his problem is lack of big hits and poor technique against good pace bowler...exposed in the aus odi that we lost...even after getting set he couldn't accelerate.

he isn't a big hitter, but not every fast scorer is a big hitter. I do agree about his issues with both spin and pace though.

6 hours ago, Pollack said:

Do you even read full post. :facepalm:

I am saying the same thing that Krunal and Jadeja are not comparable as batsmen.

Krunal is not unorthodox batsman. You are mixing up unorthodox shots played to score quick runs to unorthodox technique. Nothing about krunal is unorthodox. He has a normal stance, grip and defence. Abdevilliers plays unorthodox shots too. Doesn't make his technique unorthodox. Although in his case I must admit he is close to being unorthodox. Steve Smith and dhoni are examples of unorthodox batsmen.

Jadeja has a proper batting technique. The reason he has failed because he has no brains.He never knows how he should play and pace his innings.He looks pathetic in swing/seam friendly conditions because it's a game of reading the bowlers mind and on swing/seam friendly pitch expecting the unexpected and checking your shots. It's not easy and one can never master it. The reason why even the most technically sound players find it difficult. 

Nah I read your full post ,for my convenience I read your post again and you still seem to suggest Jadeja has proper technique :laugh: and may be your definition of technique & mine is different.I guess you are trying to suggest he has no temperament but his problem while batting is more than that. The argument you are making is something I can accept for someone like Veeru but certainly not Jaddu (at least of what we have seen at intl level or even ipl

So I ll agree to disagree with,Jadeja is a tailender with the bat mostly,who can slog well that too when RRR pressure no there :hysterical:

For me,Krunal on any parameter whether skill,ability or technique is better bat than Jaddu

5 hours ago, Vijy said:

he isn't a big hitter, but not every fast scorer is a big hitter. I do agree about his issues with both spin and pace though.

He is a fast scorer for ODIs, not T20s. T20s need big hitters who can hit sixes at will. Jadhav is very much like Dhawan, quick scorer in ODIs but not highly suited to T20s. Jadhav has been average in IPL too.

2 hours ago, SK_IH said:

Nah I read your full post ,for my convenience I read your post again and you still seem to suggest Jadeja has proper technique :laugh: and may be your definition of technique & mine is different.I guess you are trying to suggest he has no temperament but his problem while batting is more than that. The argument you are making is something I can accept for someone like Veeru but certainly not Jaddu (at least of what we have seen at intl level or even ipl

So I ll agree to disagree with,Jadeja is a tailender with the bat mostly,who can slog well that too when RRR pressure no there :hysterical:

For me,Krunal on any parameter whether skill,ability or technique is better bat than Jaddu

Debating with you has always been a waste of time. Please do me a favour and don't quote me.

Just to clarify for this discussion , now that we are at it. No I am not suggesting he has temperament issue. I said he has no brains to apply his technique . That does not fall into temperament. He plays through line when it is swinging or seaming discounting for swing or seam. And he had no idea about this having played years. That's just dumb. And finally to close you have serious comprehension issue. You need to understand what poster is saying and in what context. Here the context was Jaddu vs krunal  and hence I said Jaddu has better technique. That doesn't mean I want to say Jaddu actually has sound technique since his weakness I suggest is also overall a part of technique. And you should have understood this since there was a hint about it is in some  context I am saying Jadeja to have better technique . But you seem dumb enough to understand it. I am making it bold which you conveniently ignored from my original post for which I said read it again. And guess what you still are Jadeja. You should actually like him. :hysterical:

15 hours ago, Pollack said:

There is no similarity in batting of krunal and Jadeja. Jadeja is not as clean hitter as krunal. On the other hand, krunal is not as technically sound as Jadeja (whatever little that he is) is.

The difference is krunal is a quick learner unlike Jadeja who years to be half decent. Krunal's batting is visibly improving each year. Expect him to be even better in next IPL. And this guy has brilliant temperament much better than Hardik.

Like I said whatever little technically sound that Jadeja is. Krunal does not have proper technique. And I am biggest supporter of krunal. In ODIs technique is overrared  unless you are extremely bad which he is not. In t20 even more so. I want him to debut in t20 and let's see from there how much he learns. One thing always said about this guy is he has brains and is hardworking and from my observations he has improved thoroughly from one ipl season to another. This shows he is a quick learner of the game. So once he is into Internationals he will definitely improve his technique within short period of time.