Anderson's standing in the pantheon of Test fast bowling legends/greats?

Sooda

Where would you rank him amongst test pacebowlers of all time  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Where would you rank him amongst test pacebowlers of all time

• In the top 10
    • In the top 15
    • In the top 20

I can cherry pick performances of our pacers too! For example, you can check the recent performances of Shami and Umesh! 

However, quote me once in this forum, where I have rated even one player based on his stats.You can check with the seniors too - @express bowling @rkt.india . I only judge bowlers on what I see. Because even Saurav Ganguly was unplayable in toronto for one whole season. Want to check his stats for the series?

Whatever I have seen of Anderson, he hasn't impressed me at all. Nah, I wouldnt trade him for any of my Indian pacer! Have a good day

37 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

I can cherry pick performances of our pacers too! For example, you can check the recent performances of Shami and Umesh! 

However, quote me once in this forum, where I have rated even one player based on his stats.You can check with the seniors too - @express bowling @rkt.india . I only judge bowlers on what I see. Because even Saurav Ganguly was unplayable in toronto for one whole season. Want to check his stats for the series?

Whatever I have seen of Anderson, he hasn't impressed me at all. Nah, I wouldnt trade him for any of my Indian pacer! Have a good day

lolwut!

Anderson is one of those players who emerges with a better reputation if you dont purely use stats for judging them :)

9 minutes ago, AmreekanDesi said:

lolwut!

Anderson is one of those players who emerges with a better reputation if you dont purely use stats for judging them :)

Lolz... I just told you, shall we cherry pick the performances of our own bowlers? I think you are the kind who has never watched a match, but has just read the newspaper and websites for stats! 

3 hours ago, AmreekanDesi said:

The simple facts are that since 1 Jan 2008, the stats are as follows:

James Anderson has played 109 Tests (no small sample!) and averaged 25.7!

I think, when you are discussing ATGs, you have to consider whole careers.  ( Otherwise, you have to selectively choose the best periods of other greats too, and then compare )

In his whole career, he averages 35 away from home, which is sub-par.  This includes averages of 41 in SL, 40 in SA, 38 in Aus , 36 in NZ and 33 in India.  Basically, sub-par averages while touring the stronger test nations of his time barring Pakistan.

Apart from Australia against whom he averages 33, Jimmy Anerson has a sub-30 average against ALL teams!

Courtesy his home performances

..... even in the selective period you have chosen, he averages 40 in India, 37 in SA, 37 in NZ and 33 in Aus..... again, sub-par averages touring 4 of the stronger test teams of this period.

Edited by express bowling
15 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

I mean to say Umesh, shami, Ishant, Bhuvi and even Bumrah are bowling quicker than Anderson. Whether they replicate his performance or not, but if they play continuosly in such conditions for 3-5 years, their stats too would start looking close to an ATG stat

I don't think so, that is like saying Ashwin is nothing because he gets all his wickets on turning tracks.Even if they play years they would not become Anderson. Let them take 20 wickets in match more than once first that would be a start.

Edited by putrevus
15 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

I mean to say Umesh, shami, Ishant, Bhuvi and even Bumrah are bowling quicker than Anderson. Whether they replicate his performance or not, but if they play continuosly in such conditions for 3-5 years, their stats too would start looking close to an ATG stat

Missed this gem

No they wont. This is the most ridiculous logic I have ever heard

Makes me wonder whether you even understand the game.

On 9/9/2017 at 10:45 PM, maniac said:

Won't call him a green track bully...used to be one at the start but has had decent returns in all countries in his 2nd phase....500 wickets is no joke and that too for a fast bowler.

Definetely an ATG.

one might argue that he will not find a slot in the world ATGx1 of all time but then again so will a lot of others like say Sangakkara,Kumble,Waqar,Ponting,Hadlee etc he is definetely right up there.

people calling him clouderson and GTB have no idea...with a new ball in any conditoythe guy looks threatening...also added reverse swing later on.

If you play so many Ashes, You are bound to take so many wickets.

On 9/11/2017 at 5:04 PM, AmreekanDesi said:

Missed this gem

No they wont. This is the most ridiculous logic I have ever heard

Makes me wonder whether you even understand the game.

You missed this gem? funny! Did you also miss the gem from express bowling? Would like an answer on that. Just to refresh, here's Anderson away record in the last 2 yrs -

In India - Avg - 53.50

In South Africa - 43.5

Hallmark of an ATG?

So, yes I still maintain Md Shami and Umesh can perform almost as good as him in similar conditions! I said ' close to an ATG stat'. If you dont understand that, I know your understanding of cricket is mediocre, but I would start wondering about your understanding of English too!

On 9/11/2017 at 5:00 PM, putrevus said:

I don't think so, that is like saying Ashwin is nothing because he gets all his wickets on turning tracks.Even if they play years they would not become Anderson. Let them take 20 wickets in match more than once first that would be a start.

I said ' close to'. Thats a difference.