Farewell Games - What the hell is that about?

Either you are good enough to be in the side and fit into future plans or you are not good enough to be in the side and need to be dropped. Why should the Indian team suffer to give stars farewell games? That's such a rubbish concept. Look at what Inzamam did in his "farewell game"!!
i think the answer lies in one word- emotion. If all of us were cold and calculated to go with whatever u said, we wouldnt be human beings mate respect must be given where its due, and for a 10 yr servant of indian cricket, its certainly due
Either you are good enough to be in the side and fit into future plans or you are not good enough to be in the side and need to be dropped. Why should the Indian team suffer to give stars farewell games? That's such a rubbish concept. Look at what Inzamam did in his "farewell game"!!
The farewell game is a must if a player is good enough currently but doesn't fit in the future plans.
The farewell game is a must if a player is good enough currently but doesn't fit in the future plans.
Yes but that declaration should come from the player not from the team or board. Each spot in the team is up for grabs and not reserved based on reputation. Each player should feel an edge over his competition and should not take his spot for granted. I hope Dravid makes this dignified declaration during the final test in this series.

The whole farewell process is complcated in Indian cricket. I don't beleive in handing out careers to players. Ideally these guys keep playing until someone else pops along that's better and if that means players debuting in their late 20s early 30s like they do in Australia so be it. Unfortunately, Indians don't have the luxury. Our young ones will never be ready until they've been thrown into the deep end for 2 years. and that requires 'planning for the future'.

I agree with both posts above. In general "farewell games" are a big bakwaas. The ONLY time its ok, is if you know a player is good enough currently but you are "phasing them out". If it is so well planned, then maybe its ok. If for whatever reason, such advance planning was not possible, then just drop the player and move on. Whether that applies to RD and SG and SRT, I dont want to comment on it here.

Its all part of man management, Shwetabh. They are humans, not robots. Am sure they'll appreciate an opportunity to exit gracefully. Its not as if they are scoring in single digits to be booted out like that. Ganguly is making runs. He deserves to exit gracefully. If he had pottered around like he did back in 2005, then the case for booting him out would be stronger. Not now, when he's making runs. With Dravid, he was out of form, when he was dropped. Fair enough. But he too could have been given an ODI at home, to sign off gracefully.

Farewell games are perfectly reasonable in an occasion of retirement considering the player would otherwise have been playing had they not chosen to retire and they deserve a match to say goodbye. However, in the event of a player who has serviced the team for long time but has been dropped, I think the player should be given a choice to retire and have one last game or attempt to improve in domestic (the other form of) cricket frantically before their body cannot deal with it anymore. The idea of one last game for retirees is not a bad one at all. People must realise that it is not a sacrifice to play one person for an extra game if they have serviced a team for a long time. The whole 'form is temporary, class is permanent" idea is true but also the adrenaline of a final game + experience of a long career will mean that a player will surely get through one game without being a liability. Furthermore, in the long term, one game is very little! One game does not comprise a World Cup or have a massive effect on Test rankings for more than one month (unless it is against Australia and you are about fifth or less). If a team cannot give a long standing servant who is stepping down for the good of his team one game to retire, then they truly are heartless.

I agree with the arguments of being given a farewell game when they are not part of the long term scheme but are still not terribly out of form which seems to be the case with Ganguly and Dravid. The problem here is that the squad had to be chosen for the entire CB series, so they could not just be played in 1-2 games and then left to sit on the bench or go home. I think the South Africa ODIs will be a good opportunity for it, when we are playing at home and they can be given 1-2 games without upsetting the squad for the entire series.

You mean to say based on his test form, Dravid/Ganguly didn't deserve to be in the ODI team? They do, still they were overlooked because of the selectoral policy. The selectors should have talked about their policy and asked if the seniors wanted to announce their retirements. It doesn't serve any purpose to put down seniors like this. They don't deserve the treatment. I guess good treatment is only given to Ghati born senior cricketers from the Ghati-strong BCCI.