Dravid v Sanga - who was better test batsman?

Who was better batsman - Dravid or Sanga?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who was better batsman - Dravid or Sanga?

1 hour ago, gharampaani said:

Sanga had a lot more to his game. He was more fluid, more pleasing on the eye, more attacking when needed, more technically sound and better against pace and spin across formats. If I needed to pick one to bat in a tight situation, it would be Sanga.

I think the best test number 3/4 batsmen that I saw in my life time were Ponting, Khan, Sanga and Dravid. Probably in that order. 

Maybe Root/Kohli/Williamson will join that list one day. 

Then you have definitely not seen Dravid play. I have a bias towards left handers when it comes to elegance. Infact you can see the elegance of lefties even in basic Galli Mohalla cricket. But for me, Dravid is most elegant player when batting. There is a reason why they call him a perfect text book player.

On 21/10/2017 at 6:17 PM, vvvslaxman said:

Did they play together in any test match? If not your claim has very little ground.  India was all out for 100 & 66 at Kingsmead on one of the liveliest track i have ever seen . Donald was breathing fire that day. Not many could survive on that pitch. Dravid remained not out 27 . It was only 27. But on a deadly pitch.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/16126/scorecard/63736/South-Africa-vs-India-1st-Test-india-in-south-africa-test-series/

The 2011 series in England against Anderson and Broad has to be the toughest pitch/bowler combination I have seen the Indian batsmen been put through and you just have to see how Dravid played in that series . The selective stats of "against ATG bowlers ?" does not show these , neither does it show that most of Indias famous wins away be it in Eng , WI or Aus , Dravid played the biggest role .

1 hour ago, Vijy said:

Sanga was better against spin and pace/bounce, while Dravid was better against swing. Overall, the epochs they played in were different but I'd pick Sanga. Dravid had several years where he avg around 30-odd and was a passenger.

i think Dravid was better against pace. Sanga did not get sufficient games to prove himself better.  But on spin yes because Dravid lost to the mystery spinner in 2 test series if i am not wrong, but Sanga never faced Murali. 

its like i said between Sanga and Dravid its a photo finish, you are very very close. 

1 hour ago, Vijy said:

Sanga was better against spin and pace/bounce, while Dravid was better against swing. Overall, the epochs they played in were different but I'd pick Sanga. Dravid had several years where he avg around 30-odd and was a passenger.

Dravid wasnt the best against spin in comparsin to Tendu , Viru , VVS and Ganguly , but there is nothing to show Sanga was better . He struggled in India and never had to face Murali . 

How is he better against Pace/bounce ? 

Edited by jusarrived
15 minutes ago, jusarrived said:

The 2011 series in England against Anderson and Broad has to be the toughest pitch/bowler combination I have seen the Indian batsmen been put through and you just have to see how Dravid played in that series . The selective stats of "against ATG bowlers ?" does not show these , neither does it show that most of Indias famous wins away be it in Eng , WI or Aus , Dravid played the biggest role .

Toughest pitch? Only 2nd test at Trent Bridge had tough conditions on day 1. Rest were simply flat with Normal English conditions. 

A 2007 or 2002 Indian team would have scored big scores for fun there.

Next series in England was tougher. SA series 2010-11 and WI 2011 was tough.

3 hours ago, Vilander said:

i think Dravid was better against pace. Sanga did not get sufficient games to prove himself better.  But on spin yes because Dravid lost to the mystery spinner in 2 test series if i am not wrong, but Sanga never faced Murali. 

its like i said between Sanga and Dravid its a photo finish, you are very very close. 

sanga has some top knocks against Oz and NZ in their home conditions. I think he was slightly better against sheer pace. Dravid always struggled in Aus (apart from 1 tour) and SA.