Was Sehwag unfortunate to not get as many chances as his peers?

Sehwag had his time and after that he declined as a odi player and was rightly dropped. Now him not getting as many chances as other peers doesn’t justify that Sehwag deserved more chances in odi’s. He was rightly replaced on ODI’s. Though I feel Gambhir’s situation was different. He was struggling in one format but still was doing decent and could have been continued in the other but then Vijay was playing really well then and Rahul was coming up too. You can say Gambhir could have been given few more chances but then things in terms of openers have veen handled well in Indian cricket, at least in test cricket. 

28 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

It pains me to see that a mediocre player like Nehra gets such a grand farewell but a player with 2 triple hundreds don't get a farewell test :sad:

Fair point. Sehwag should have got a farewell game, perhaps a test match in India. He definitely deserved that..... 

No body cannot like his "My Way, My Game, My Style, My Word" attitude.......... Love u Veeru!!!  

P.S. Although I should disagree with the entire point of OP saying he needed to play many more matches.... Not really sure about that ;-)

On 10/23/2017 at 6:33 PM, Jimmy Cliff said:

His decline started in the late 2010 when he had a surprisingly poor series at home vs Australia averaging 28. Couple of months later he had another disappointing series in SA averaging 24. He had a decent enough WC overall but almost half of his runs in the tournament were scored in that knock against the Bangladeshs. That was followed by a ill-advised mid-series return in England where he scored a king pair and averaged 10 in 2 Tests! He did well vs WI at home but had his first ever bad tour of Australia averaging less than 25 in Tests and 13 in ODIs. He then had a poor season at home averaging less than 30 in 8 Tests against NZ/ENG/AUS. His average had dropped from nearly 54 in late 2010 to less than 50. And in ODIs, he had only 2 50+ scores in 15 innings after the 2011 WC (one of them being the double vs WI). No wonder he was dropped from both formats.      

Sehwag relied on hand-eye coordination . He publicly stated that he wants to move down the order especially with retirements of Dravid & LAxman and Tendulkar's retirement also in the vicinity. However, he was never given the chance for that . 

I do agree that compared to now, he was hardly given a chance to make amends . 

No, I do not think so. Sehwag was a no non-sense entertainer. He will either hit or get out, it was his game. The only way he knew how to bat, but it didn't mean there wasn't a method to madness. His pick and choose way to attack bowlers was destructive.
The biggest enemy for Sehwag was his own game, he did not possess strong footwork but he more than made up for it with his hand eye coordination. You cannot teach a player to play deliveries close to his body when all his life he did not follow it.
This man has made away centuries in Aus, SA, Pak , SL, Eng. He was the torchbearer of India's ascent to No.1 ranking in tests for more than one & a half years till Aug 2011.
Also, he was in and out of the team a few times. Post 2007 wc, Jaffer & DK were opening in tests he was called again by Kumble for 2008 Aus tour, the man proved himself. But after 2011-12 Aus tour, he was sometimes rested or benched for whatever reasons. Called again for Eng home series, then cast aside to being given a last chance during 2013 home series against Aus.
It was awkward to watch, India giving a thrashing to Aus in each test & it was getting much clearer that it might be the last time we would be watching Sehwag play again for India.
One of the heroes who played for India not getting a dignified farewell was unfortunate.

I also want to add that Sachin, Dada, Dravid, Laxman, Kumble was the older generation which started in 90s and had long careers, provided a good base for the youngsters to learn & develop. When they gradually started retiring or almost booted out, the likes of Viru, Gambhir, Zak, Bhajji, Yuvi had the responsibility to take up the mantle. But these players lost the plot after 2011 WC, may be the fire to win games for India was doused after the triumph in the world cup. Except Gambhir, all were regularly playing at the top since 2000. Thats why I hope the current generation may have long & successful careers playing for India & help the youngsters coming along the way to make the team better with a mix of experienced & youth.