India refuse to play day-night Test against Australia this summer

36 minutes ago, gattaca said:

Why should we just because white man wants to? It’s our own decision.

Get off your high horse about white man ....it's cricket played as an entertainment business ,

All businesses look to increase income and generate more profit . 

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

but our batsmen have never played under lights with pink ball that is the difference. you cant just wake up and play a day night test with pink ball without getting used to it.

1 hour ago, Turning_track said:

I won't call them FTBs. Their batters suddenly turn into beasts & they are accustomed a bit with playing the pink ball in the evening. For such an important series, I wouldn't want our team to face them suddenly in Adelaide/Brisbane under lights that too when we've got a chance to win the series in the absence of the Smith & Warner. 

TBH we always do well in new things. Remember 2007 WT20, we won the whole tourney in spite of no T20 experience, that too with a newbie team? Initial Champions Trophy (1998, 2000, 2002) we did well, punched above our weight. B&H 1985 we won. We won 1983 WC, 1st non WI team to do it. I am not sure why we chickened out here. Why not play some trial games in India with the pink ball to get accustomed, why not take the experience as a challenge? It's not like we are playing Lloyd's WI in D/N, we are playing a team of FTBs.

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

From a relative probability perspective? Yes.  

IMHO, our team is better equipped to take advantage of the D/N conditions - putting aside experience, our batting and bowling both are well-equipped to handle it.  

But the pink ball conditions are a bit of a lottery - and increase the chances of one bad session going wrong for India, that could cost them the Adelaide test.  Contrast this to a regular 'day' test at Adelaide.  Given the historical nature of the track, the chances of India losing that one are way lower.  

You agree with me that we are better equipped to take advantage, that's good.

If they are lottery then it can work both ways. Besides in test cricket it is an advantage on 95% occasions to bat 1st, in that sense every toss is a lottery. Regular day test in Adelaide has draw written all over it, I would prefer us risking a loss in order to win rather than be content with drawing.

1 hour ago, Tattieboy said:

Get off your high horse about white man ....it's cricket played as an entertainment business ,

All businesses look to increase income and generate more profit . 

That’s for BCCI to deceide they are planning on doing this in Ranji trophy. You don’t have to be first to do something. You have to perfect it. Just like what BCCI did with t20 and IPL. 

3 hours ago, Gollum said:

You agree with me that we are better equipped to take advantage, that's good.

If they are lottery then it can work both ways. Besides in test cricket it is an advantage on 95% occasions to bat 1st, in that sense every toss is a lottery. Regular day test in Adelaide has draw written all over it, I would prefer us risking a loss in order to win rather than be content with drawing.

Let me give you some hypothetical numbers to explain my point - let's say a regular Adelaide test has the following probabilities - 60% draw, 25% India Win, 15% Aus Win.   A D/N test would be more of a 50-50 proposition.  Why should the Indian team willingly sign up for a 50% loss format, instead of a 15% one, just so that Cricket Australia can make more money and to make some Aussie fans "happy"?  That's not their responsibility.  Their job is to do all they can to win the series.  Not please CA or Aussie fans.  

All the rhetoric of playing for a win etc sounds nice.  But we are not going on this tour as some underdogs who will sign up for a crapshoot game to try and steal a test win.  We are going down under planning to win the series.  And have decent odds at doing so.  

Edited by sandeep
2 hours ago, sandeep said:

Let me give you some hypothetical numbers to explain my point - let's say a regular Adelaide test has the following probabilities - 60% draw, 25% India Win, 15% Aus Win.   A D/N test would be more of a 50-50 proposition.  Why should the Indian team willingly sign up for a 50% loss format, instead of a 15% one, just so that Cricket Australia can make more money and to make some Aussie fans "happy"?  That's not their responsibility.  Their job is to do all they can to win the series.  Not please CA or Aussie fans.  

All the rhetoric of playing for a win etc sounds nice.  But we are not going on this tour as some underdogs who will sign up for a crapshoot game to try and steal a test win.  We are going down under planning to win the series.  And have decent odds at doing so.  

OK my probabilities are a bit different, that's why we disagree. 

Even without double trouble playing for them, I have them as favorites on a complete patta because their FTBs are brilliant on pancake pitches while they have the quicks+Lyon to put pressure on opponents when backed by scoreboard pressure. 

I would say, normal day test on Adelaide patta: Aus win 20%, India 5%, draw 75%

D/N Adelaide : India win 50%, Aus 35%, draw 15%

Edited by Gollum
5 minutes ago, Gollum said:

OK my probabilities are a bit different, that's why we disagree. 

Even without double trouble playing for them, I have them as favorites on a complete patta because their FTBs are brilliant on pancake pitches while they have the quicks+Lyon to put pressure on opponents when backed by scoreboard pressure. 

I would say, normal day test on Adelaide patta: Aus win 20%, India 5%, draw 75%

D/N Adelaide patta: India win 50%, Aus 35%, draw 15%

D/N games are going to have a result 99% of the time.  So your probabilities need to fixed there.

And I don't see Aussie's winning chances as higher than India's in a Adelaide conventional test.  Don't forget, it wasn't the pace bowlers who won it for them last time around - it took a shocker decision to get rid of Rahane (pre-DRS), a typical brain-fart from Brohit, and the spin stylings of Nathan Lyon to win it for them.   Pound for pound, the current India-Oz test squads, I say our win chances at Adelaide are definitely higher than Aussies, especially without Steve Smith.  Significantly higher.  

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

D/N games are going to have a result 99% of the time.  So your probabilities need to fixed there.

And I don't see Aussie's winning chances as higher than India's in a Adelaide conventional test.  Don't forget, it wasn't the pace bowlers who won it for them last time around - it took a shocker decision to get rid of Rahane (pre-DRS), a typical brain-fart from Brohit, and the spin stylings of Nathan Lyon to win it for them.   Pound for pound, the current India-Oz test squads, I say our win chances at Adelaide are definitely higher than Aussies, especially without Steve Smith.  Significantly higher.  

There isn't enough sample size to say D/N test will have result 99% of the time. Pakistan almost chased 500 runs in Brisbane, so that tells me it can be flat. Even a D/N test in Dubai had humongous scores. I feel curators haven't yet perfected the art of designing pitches for D/N matches so they may screw up and may result in drawn matches. Remember we had a Duleep Trophy with D/N cricket and it resulted in a few boring draws. Not saying our pitches (or dew) can be compared to theirs but I believe we are yet to settle in on the general nature of pitches for pink ball cricket. Besides I said 15% chance of draw or 3 draws in 20 completed tests, not 50....I will stick to that for the time being. 

Regarding 2014 Adelaide we never deserved to win that after picking only 12 Aussie wickets. We were at their mercy and they gave a sporting declaration to keep the carrot dangling. Rahane had a rough call but Vijay was given 2 LBW reprieves IIRC. Moreover with the turn Lyon was getting no guarantee Rahane would have stuck for much longer. We lost the match the moment Vijay was out. Besides in these high chases the last 50-100 runs are toughest to get. Often we have teams get off to 300/4 starts and winding up 360 a.o. Even in recent times our 1st test in NZ, WI in UAE, Pak in Brisbane, etc all had great starts with the chasing team faltering when target got near. There is a reason why so few 350+ totals have been chased down in the history of cricket. I feel we were dominated on our 2014 tour to Australia, not once did we threaten to take 20 wickets. That 0-2 scoreline looks flattering in hindsight. This time we have better chances because of the absence of our 2 main tormentors on those kind of pitches, but significantly higher would be a very optimistic call. 

Edited by Gollum

India selfish to not play day-night Test in Australia, says Mark Waugh

http://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cricket/india-vs-australi-2018-day-night-test-selfish-virat-kohli-5179238/

India’s refusal to play a day-night Test in Adelaide is “selfish” and hinders efforts to reinvigorate Test cricket, Australia’s former Test batsman Mark Waugh said on Wednesday.

India have declined to play their maiden day-night Test against Australia, leaving the Dec. 6-10 series-opener in Adelaide a day match, and remain the lone frontline team not to have featured in one.

“It’s a little bit selfish from India’s point of view because we need to revitalise Test cricket,” Waugh said on Australia’s Big Sports Breakfast radio show.

“Day-night Test cricket in some countries is going to be one of those ingredients that could transform Test cricket back to where it should be.”

India’s reluctance is attributed to their pink-ball inexperience but Waugh, who will step down from his role as national twenty20 selector in August, is baffled by their refusal given the depth in the Virat Kohli-led squad.

“Their team is pretty well suited to day-night cricket, they’ve got a string of fast bowlers, so they don’t just rely on the spinners, and their batsman are technically very good as well,” Waugh explained.

“So for the greater good of the game, I would have loved to have seen that as a day-night Test.”

India play three twenty20 internationals, four Tests and three one-day internationals in their tour of Australia from November to January.