Bring Shubman Gill instead of Pujara in Tests

He might be different but he has played just two fc matches that too against a very weak opponents.I am all for backing young talent but I don't want ruin them either.The step up in quality is unimaginable and there is no need to rush him at this juncture.I have seen Shaw and co, I don't think they are ready to take on Anderson.

That's your perspective & that's fine, but let me share my perspective a bit too, during the recent IPL he looked more assured & correct playing the quicks than the likes of Rana, Uthappa, Karthik. He already looked the best correct batsmen in KKR & similarly hw was a cut above the rest in U19, this is what gives me the confidence to express that he should be drafted in the national team ASAP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10 minutes ago, nsareen said:

Agreed & this brings out a question, Are the selectors really efficieny, or they are riding on the Indian Teams performance for this long?

The selectors had started off well and their team selections in various A-teams, and teams chosen to play touring sides, were good.  We saw a wide range of young players being tried and the Dindas and Vinays being left out.

Chosing the likes of Khaleel, Prasidh or even Mavi , to the 50-over A-teams and B-teams ... have been good steps.

Many of the bad senior team selections ... like no Pant in T20I squad or Rayudu in the ODI squad or no Rahul in the ODI squad against Sri Lanka ...   could be due to specific demands of the Team management.

But I don't like the queue system they are following.

10 minutes ago, nsareen said:

In the recent memory no young player has been bought in the test matches, we have only seen Washington Sundar entering the T20 team directly.

Could be because our Team management discourages it.

4 minutes ago, nsareen said:

That's your perspective & that's fine, but let me share my perspective a bit too, during the recent IPL he looked more assured & correct playing the quicks than the likes of Rana, Uthappa, Karthik. He already looked the best correct batsmen in KKR & similarly hw was a cut above the rest in U19, this is what gives me the confidence to express that he should be drafted in the national team ASAP

Dhawan won India Champions trophy and he remain the most important batsman in this lineup after Kohli in ODis.

White ball cricket and red ball cricket are two completely different things.I would take Dhawan over any opener in odis but I would not touch him with 50 feet long pole for tests away from India.

No player in history of cricket to my knowledge has done well after just two FC games in test cricket.

Dhawan won India Champions trophy and he remain the most important batsman in this lineup after Kohli in ODis.

White ball cricket and red ball cricket are two completely different things.I would take Dhawan over any opener in odis but I would not touch him with 50 feet long pole for tests away from India.

No player in history of cricket to my knowledge has done well after just two FC games in test cricket.

Who says he would succeed right away, it's about giving him the change & create a framework for him to do well, groom him.

There would always be a huge gap in domestic vs international teams, seextors can start with lesser teams if they don't want to put him in front of the likes of starc, Hazlewood & that's fine, but they can put him in front of the likes of pereras, Silvas kumaras etc & southee, milne

Just now, nsareen said:

Who says he would succeed right away, it's about giving him the change & create a framework for him to do well, groom him.

There would always be a huge gap in domestic vs international teams, seextors can start with lesser teams if they don't want to put him in front of the likes of starc, Hazlewood & that's fine, but they can put him in front of the likes of pereras, Silvas kumaras etc & southee, milne

You don't groom players in test cricket, what you are saying is ridiculous, why would anyone want do the hard time of facing tough overseas condition only to give up their spots when team India plays weaker team.It would be totally unfair on those players.

Gill has to  work his way up and do well in A tours for that he needs to be selected that will happen if he does well in FC cricket.India will never be short of good batsmen given its batting culture.

Just now, nsareen said:

In my opinion he has the technique to survive outside Asia too & he is not as flashy as we assume he would be, all his age group high scores have been on multi day cricket.

Shubman Gill must be more defensive first. Then he can dream of test cricket. He should learn from Pujara about building test innings. 

You don't groom players in test cricket, what you are saying is ridiculous, why would anyone want do the hard time of facing tough overseas condition only to give up their spots when team India plays weaker team.It would be totally unfair on those players.

Gill has to  work his way up and do well in A tours for that he needs to be selected that will happen if he does well in FC cricket.India will never be short of good batsmen given its batting culture.

Wonder if the same logic had been applied to Tendulkar & some others, Indian cricket would have been different. Blood in youngsters who are cut above the rest is what I can say.

Just now, nsareen said:

Wonder if the same logic had been applied to Tendulkar & some others, Indian cricket would have been different. Blood in youngsters who are cut above the rest is what I can say.

Blood in youngsters, but only if they are suited. Shubman Gill must be more defensive in his game. 

Shubman Gill must be more defensive first. Then he can dream of test cricket. He should learn from Pujara about building test innings. 

What makes you say that he is not defensive enough or less defensive than others, it's. Ot that he strikes like Hardik Pandya ?

Just now, nsareen said:

What makes you say that he is not defensive enough or less defensive than others, it's. Ot that he strikes like Hardik Pandya ?

Test cricket requires batsmen who are patient like Pujara. He cannot replace Pujara's value unless he changes/improves his game. 

1 )  And why should you not earn your comebacks, if it is after a big gap  ?

2)  What is the harm in fast tracking a special talent to the A team  ?
Raina Has been a good odi player for india,He Was in T20 Squad.I was against Rayadu Selection Based On IPL.

I am all for Gill Being Inducted in to a tours but not in test squad currently.
Test cricket requires batsmen who are patient like Pujara. He cannot replace Pujara's value unless he changes/improves his game. 

I can only smile at this comment :) , it seems as if he is laxking somewhere , I would say let's try it out & see how he handles an innings. Pujara's value is being challenged by many atleast outside Asia.

In my opinion he has the technique to survive outside Asia too & he is not as flashy as we assume he would be, all his age group high scores have been on multi day cricket.

Sample size is Small A handful of white Ball matches.Even Sachin Had A full Ranji Season.No Doubt Gill Looks Talented But He Needs A Ranji Season and Few A tours To Show his Ability.
11 minutes ago, nsareen said:

I don't know if he would be successful not not, trying out these kids for lesser tournament can be a practice they can follow, this way they can ready the young lot sooner.

Prithvi has played more domestic cricket than gill and proven himself.

He just had a fantastic outing with A team . He is far more ready than Gill.

Gill should play a few seasons of domestic before tests. 

He may find his way in lois  post WC.