This is our longest reign as the mace holders

3 hours ago, AmreekanDesi said:

also just checked 

it was 112 months!!

74 since ranking came into effect in 2003. but if you go back retrospectively that reign was 112 months!

im curious to how long was WI reign at the top if you apply same retrospective ranking 

15 years give or take....!!!

I vaguely remember Michael Holding saying that in the cricket documentary "Fire in Babylon" where in he mentioned the time period roughly starting 1980 and when they lost the series to Australia in 1995.

On 8/25/2018 at 9:25 PM, Nikhil_cric said:

Not several years. I think our next away cycle might start in early 2022 in SA again and we might have an Enzed away tour before that. But yeah if we continue to smash teams at home I think we can be no. 1 till 2022 and that's 6 years.

Which is several years

On 8/27/2018 at 3:36 AM, Stan AF said:

15 years give or take....!!!

I vaguely remember Michael Holding saying that in the cricket documentary "Fire in Babylon" where in he mentioned the time period roughly starting 1980 and when they lost the series to Australia in 1995.

dont think that is true

they may have been the dominant side for 15 years but i dont think they were ranked #1 (retrospectively) throughout this period. I think both india and pakistan were #1 for short periods

9 hours ago, AmreekanDesi said:

dont think that is true

they may have been the dominant side for 15 years but i dont think they were ranked #1 (retrospectively) throughout this period. I think both india and pakistan were #1 for short periods

Cricket ratings don't work that way. 

You have to defeat a #1 team in a series to grab the number 1 ranking. And they were undefeated for 15 years.

Ask any old timers here. They'd say who were really#1 from the 80s to the 90s

2 hours ago, Stan AF said:

Cricket ratings don't work that way. 

You have to defeat a #1 team in a series to grab the number 1 ranking. And they were undefeated for 15 years.

Ask any old timers here. They'd say who were really#1 from the 80s to the 90s

Why would you need to defeat no 1 team become no 1?

Only criteria is to have max rating points and nothing else, doesn't matter how you get those rating points.

SA lost 5 out of 6 tests to Aus in early 2000s, but still managed by become rank 1 by beating Bangladesh and Pakistan. Pollock won mace just before the WC.

On Mon Aug 27 2018 at 7:52 AM, AmreekanDesi said:

also just checked 

it was 112 months!!

74 since ranking came into effect in 2003. but if you go back retrospectively that reign was 112 months!

im curious to how long was WI reign at the top if you apply same retrospective ranking 

89 month continue (march 1981 to July 1988)

Edited by kohli
On Mon Aug 27 2018 at 7:52 AM, AmreekanDesi said:

also just checked 

it was 112 months!!

Not 112 month.95 month continue.21 month before offical ranking & 74 month after.Sept 2001 to july 2009

Thank you for that link. I stand corrected. While Aus, Pakistan manage to topple West Indies for a brief period of time the windies did manage to hold the #1 ranking for a collective period of (89+28+15+31) an astonishing 163 months approx 13+ years in between (1980-1995)

2 hours ago, Stan AF said:

Thank you for that link. I stand corrected. While Aus, Pakistan manage to topple West Indies for a brief period of time the windies did manage to hold the #1 ranking for a collective period of (89+28+15+31) an astonishing 163 months approx 13+ years in between (1980-1995)

Australia also hold 157 month(dec 1995 - july 2009),in this period sa hold 7 month total.