'1983 was the biggest disappointment of my career' Garner

On 5/10/2019 at 6:21 PM, vvvslaxman said:

If you look at it, India had beaten west Indies 3 out of 4 times in a sequence. Once in windies. Twice in world cup. Even though world cup final was an upset we were having a decent run against them upto that final. They vented all their frustrations when they toured India.

With just 184 runs to chase(in 60 overs, not 50) WI and pretty much everyone else thought the match would be won by them. More than the loss, I think failure to get a mere 183 runs against an average bowling attack (barring Kap Dev) hurts them to this day. Richards was in a hurry to finish the match and start off the celebrations but with his dismissal the match turned on its head. 

14 hours ago, First class said:

The was  WI massacred India in India on the toured following 1983 WC showed how mad West Indians were and showed India who was the real champion. I remembered India did not win a single Test or ODI. The famous headline after Marshall destroyed India in Kanpur test "Marshall Law at Kanpur". .

Since 1983.. wI couldn't win a single LOI world cup ...such was the blow India gave in 1983...

Interesting thing about 83 final was we got the perfect score, 50 odd runs either way and they would have won comfortably. Target of 184 was enough to get them complacent but not small enough to allow them the space to squeak their way past the finish line (post complacency). I am pretty sure that if the target had been 250-260 they would have been super focused and won the match. 

Edited by Gollum
12 hours ago, nevada said:

With just 184 runs to chase(in 60 overs, not 50) WI and pretty much everyone else thought the match would be won by them. More than the loss, I think failure to get a mere 183 runs against an average bowling attack (barring Kap Dev) hurts them to this day. Richards was in a hurry to finish the match and start off the celebrations but with his dismissal the match turned on its head. 

Also Sandhu's wicket of Greenidge was quiet unexpected. he didn't expect an incoming delivery. He left alone.