'1983 was the biggest disappointment of my career' Garner

No one on the team was more crestfallen than Garner, who returned to his English county, Somerset, and brooded over the manner of the loss. "For a long time, two or three months, I wouldn't talk to any of my team-mates," he admits. "I would say that the World Cup 1983 was the biggest disappointment in terms of my cricket career."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/21298875/1983-was-biggest-disappointment-my-career

very interesting read. WI players of that vintage still hold this sense of humiliation over this loss. Some old timers can tell how it must have felt following this monumental upset.

10 minutes ago, putrevus said:

People underestimate how big upset this was, that WI team was so powerful.Holding is one SOB still holding grudge, never gives Indian team credit for winning not once but twice against them in that cup.

it was big an upset as Pak beating us in CT 2017.

37 minutes ago, putrevus said:

People underestimate how big upset this was, that WI team was so powerful.Holding is one SOB still holding grudge, never gives Indian team credit for winning not once but twice against them in that cup.

One guy became so rich betting against West Indies lol

6 hours ago, Gollum said:

day 4, 2001 Eden Gardens

i know the dravid laxman test was great, but it was a home test with legit some of the finest batsmen in the world ( Sachin/Dravid in the team)- one that we are eventually supposed to win most of the time but weren't because of **** bowling.. Its a bit like winning test series in Aus - eventually it should be corrected the Aus team was weaker it had to happen odd did not happen earlier etc. 1983 is a few rungs above it, a bit like what Afganistan is achieving today - totally not supposed to happen - India should not have been in the final or anywhere near beating WI like how Wi showed it when they toured India right after the WC. 

its like india loosing to afg/BD in a WC final and then going to tour them and beating them in like 3, test, 5 ODI 20 tt20 etc. 

I see even a lot of Indians buy into the whole cornered tigers rhetoric and praise Imran Khan as a great leader etc for the 92 WC example @Harsh Thakor win even though it was just a combination of lucky events that went their way. Look I am not saying the entire 92 WC win was a fluke because Pak played out of their skins in the Semis and Finals and Sure Imran was a good captain.

However a team led by a 24 year old youngster beating one of the most invincible teams put together in cricket history not once but twice, playing one of the greatest LOI knocks of all time, a team full of trundlers and bits and pieces cricketers, beating Australia and England is a much much greater achievement. This has to be one of the greatest underdog stories not just in cricket but all of sports. Also did I mention defending a below par total against an ATG team in the final?

Yes, this event changed Indian cricket  and shifted the dynamics of cricket forever. However we don’t give this enough hype. Sure it gets mentioned a lot but still not enough. 

10 minutes ago, maniac said:

I see even a lot of Indians buy into the whole cornered tigers rhetoric and praise Imran Khan as a great leader etc for the 92 WC example @Harsh Thakor win even though it was just a combination of lucky events that went their way. Look I am not saying the entire 92 WC win was a fluke because Pak played out of their skins in the Semis and Finals and Sure Imran was a good captain.

However a team led by a 24 year old youngster beating one of the most invincible teams put together in cricket history not once but twice, playing one of the greatest LOI knocks of all time, a team full of trundlers and bits and pieces cricketers, beating Australia and England is a much much greater achievement. This has to be one of the greatest underdog stories not just in cricket but all of sports. Also did I mention defending a below par total against an ATG team in the final?

Yes, this event changed Indian cricket  and shifted the dynamics of cricket forever. However we don’t give this enough hype. Sure it gets mentioned a lot but still not enough. 

The '83 win would get a lot more hype if it had coloured clothing and was played in AUS/NZ. I am only half joking here.

Just now, Jimmy Cliff said:

The '83 win would get a lot more hype if it had coloured clothing and was played in AUS/NZ. I am only half joking here.

Also the fact that our captain was a pakka average joe desi types (I mean that endearingly) and not this Good looking and wannabe Englishman with an oxford degree in a country starved of icons and regular education.

I see even a lot of Indians buy into the whole cornered tigers rhetoric and praise Imran Khan as a great leader etc for the 92 WC example [mention=17368]Harsh Thakor[/mention] win even though it was just a combination of lucky events that went their way. Look I am not saying the entire 92 WC win was a fluke because Pak played out of their skins in the Semis and Finals and Sure Imran was a good captain.

Well they are making a bollywood movie out of it, isn't it? I hope it doesn't ruin the historic event.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

The was  WI massacred India in India on the toured following 1983 WC showed how mad West Indians were and showed India who was the real champion. I remembered India did not win a single Test or ODI. The famous headline after Marshall destroyed India in Kanpur test "Marshall Law at Kanpur". .

On 5/10/2019 at 6:42 PM, Vilander said:

i know the dravid laxman test was great, but it was a home test with legit some of the finest batsmen in the world ( Sachin/Dravid in the team)- one that we are eventually supposed to win most of the time but weren't because of **** bowling.. Its a bit like winning test series in Aus - eventually it should be corrected the Aus team was weaker it had to happen odd did not happen earlier etc. 1983 is a few rungs above it, a bit like what Afganistan is achieving today - totally not supposed to happen - India should not have been in the final or anywhere near beating WI like how Wi showed it when they toured India right after the WC. 

its like india loosing to afg/BD in a WC final and then going to tour them and beating them in like 3, test, 5 ODI 20 tt20 etc. 

1. Flukes happen quite often in T20s, less so in ODIs, almost never in tests.

2. Aus were coming into that match with a 16 match winning streak (WR), having ruthlessly crushed us in Mumbai a week earlier and with one hand on the trophy by day 3.

3. They were full strength, we were missing our 2 most potent bowling weapons for home tests, Srinath and Kumble.

4. Hype and build up of that series was off the charts, final frontier and all that..

5. VVS/RD last hope of resistance against McWarne after getting bruised and battered till then...both of them were also out of form coming into that test, VVS scored a 50 odd in the 1st innings, Dravid had a long run of failure plus a mental block against Warne who dismissed him many times in the previous 2-3 years, I remember experts (Sportstar edition back then IIRC) comparing him to Cullinan with regards to his bunny status against the legendary Aussie. 

6. Day 4: zero wickets, zero appeals :hail:, 350 runs added

7. I wasn't alive during 1983, saw 3 out of 5 days action in 2001 Kolkata live at the stadium, personal bias speaking. I fell in love with cricket because of that test match. In general I would never equate an ODI win with a great test win, I respect that 83 triumph so much that I am giving it equal status as the GOAT test match. 

Edited by Gollum