Michael Vaughan concludes Steve Smith is a better test batsmen than Sachin !!!

velu

it's real close in tests as of now. IMO stewie has a far more impressive temperament and hunger for runs whereas SRT's technique (in his peak days) was probably the most pristine and airtight I've seen. We must remember that SRT had an avg of nearly 60 over a 18 yr span (1993-mid 2011). smith's avg will probably continue to rise until it hits 64-65 IMO, but what remains to be seen is how his decline will be after that. punter was averaging around 60 after playing even more tests than smith (as of now) and people thought he would finish with a 60+ avg. the thing with smith is that he has exceptional hand-eye coordination and footwork. if one or both decline with age, his avg might drop rapidly.

Currently, in my book, smith is on par with SRT in tests and somewhat behind SRT in ODIs (although smith is an ATG clutch player in KOs). however, if he keeps up his test form for the majority of his remaining career, he will exceed SRT in tests as far as I'm concerned.

Sachin averaged 57(home & abroad evenly split) after scoring 14692 runs , facing 23 bowlers in 'sub 26 avg: range' namely CEL Ambrose,IR Bishop,SE Bond (NZ),SR Clark (AUS),AA Donald,GD McGrath,Jason Gillespie(fell to 26.13 in the last  stages of a long career),Mohammad Asif,M Muralitharan,SM Pollock, Shabbir Ahmed,DW Steyn,CA Walsh,Waqar Younis,SK Warne,Wasim Akram,DW Fleming,Shoaib Akhtar,PS de Villiers,Sir RJ Hadlee,Imran Khan,BA Reid,BN Schultz of which 20 are 'sub 25 category'.
Apart from this he faced several 26-30 avgimrannazir.gifg bowlers too. This despite withstanding huge pressure of expectations of various sorts.

In addition to these Sachin was far more attractive to watch  when compared to Smith who is almost ugly with lot of trigger movements & this factor deserves its own  weightage.

Naturally I for one cannot place Smith above Sachin  as of now, infact convincingly   below as of now. 

Once Smith scores above 10000 runs with  at least 65 avg: would I even dare to compare the 2  for a start.

Edited by rtmohanlal
On 8/6/2019 at 12:19 PM, Real McCoy said:

120/8 to 280 and then traliing by 90 runs to setting a target of 390 with 2 big hundreds. That too in an alien country where he is vulnerable against seam. That too in an unlucky ground for Aus in Ashes. Smith better than midget who choked at home against archrivals in his favorite ground.

You are comparing a 40 year tendulkar on his last legs to smith at his peak.