Solution to Kashmir

veer

8 hours ago, Autonomous said:

Back your claims. 

Anyways, the people of GB want to be integrated with Pakistan. 

Accession means nothing in context now. 

The fact that Pakistan still controls a part of Kashmir means that the instrument of accession still holds sway. India can and will do as it deems fit in Kashmir. Like it did on the 5th of August.

I agree with the other part of your post. While India is the legal owner of all of Kashmir, there is a part that Pakistan gifted to China. Doubt India would be able to wrest that away. Neither will the people in PoK be happy about India taking over. The best way ahead is for both nations to keep screaming that the entire Kashmir is theirs for domestic consumption and keep the LoC as the de facto border. But keep it peaceful and focus on the more important aspect of nation building. Pakistan needs that more than India.

8 hours ago, mishra said:

Mariyamji, you are expert. How come accession document becomes provisional? Apart from breaking the deadlock between India and Pakistan in UN? Can a permanent document become temporary a year later @Mariyam

The Instrument of Accession was signed under the Indian Independence Act of the British parliament. The original British Act *does not* mention the need for a referendum.

The referendum was the idea of Pandit Nehru, who told the Maharaja of Kashmir that India would want to hold one. It was very idealistic of Pandit Nehru. Hence when the instrument of Accession was signed, the government of India included the clause for the referendum when the state returns to 'normalcy'.

The UN security council borrowed the gist of the document in their call for a plebiscite after the withdrawal of Pakistani forces.

The instrument of accession was meant to be a temporary document. In my view India got lucky here. Had Pakistan responded sensibly and pushed for a referendum in all of Kashmir, they had a better chance of taking over. Now ( or back then)  they have no chance to take over militarily.

7 hours ago, Mariyam said:

The fact that Pakistan still controls a part of Kashmir means that the instrument of accession still holds sway. India can and will do as it deems fit in Kashmir. Like it did on the 5th of August.

I agree with the other part of your post. While India is the legal owner of all of Kashmir, there is a part that Pakistan gifted to China. Doubt India would be able to wrest that away. Neither will the people in PoK be happy about India taking over. The best way ahead is for both nations to keep screaming that the entire Kashmir is theirs for domestic consumption and keep the LoC as the de facto border. But keep it peaceful and focus on the more important aspect of nation building. Pakistan needs that more than India.

This is what essentially I've suggested as well. 

Edited by Autonomous

7 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Had Pakistan responded sensibly and pushed for a referendum in all of Kashmir, they had a better chance of taking over.

From the reports I have read, Pakistan resisted the referendum on 2 fronts - it was still trying to keep its hopes alive for Hyderabad - and knew that it would lose the referendum there.  When told that they could win the Kashmiri referendum, a Pakistani representative to the negotiations was quoted as saying, why should I trade the rich large province of Hyderabad for a few barren hills of Kashmir?  Second, after the invasion of the kabaili lashkar and ensuing loot and pillage, Pakistan's popularity took a big dip in J&K.  This coupled with Pandit Nehru's presence, meant that the referendum in Kashmir wouldn't be the automatic slam-dunk in Pakistan's favor that most assume.

Today, our Kashmir policy is somewhat similar to European policy. Without 370, we hope, it leads to more openness, education, businesses, money and, thus reduce the radical elements. Just like how Europe welcomed Muslims and hoped they would become liberals. That hasn't really fully worked out, as certain things are hard coded, so let's see how our Kashmir reacts....