No Time to Die (OO7)

zen

Booked 3rd viewing for next week. Next week will likely be the last (or 2nd last) week for NTTD in UAVX/IMAX as new films like Dune are likely to take those slots in the week of Oct 22.

Edited by zen

Opening the thread up fo spoilers as it has been a while since the film is out ... Thoughts after the 3rd viewing (includes SPOILERS so stay away if you have not watched the film):

PTS: The best in Craig Bond films because of the incredible bike and Aston stunts. I like Safin's intro. The film continues from SPECTRE where Bond and Swann leave. If I have to nitpick, I felt that Bond found it easy to mistrust Swann, who not only lost her dad to SPECTRE but also helped Bond fight them. But how the information was presented to Bond to create that mistrust was nicely done. Bond relies on quick thinking and decisions. The title song connects well with the PTS. 

Nanobots: The tech is an interesting weapon. The theft of it sets the film up (the problem statement). The gunmen walking down from the side of the building, breaking the glass using some cool laser (?) technology, and using magnets in the elevator to escape were nicely done too.

The Caribbean: This segment is vintage Bond and the highlight of the film for me - Bond, Leiter, Nomi, Paloma, Ash, and Obruchev. If I want to nitpick from a logical perspective, I would say if Leiter could have just stayed at Bond's house rather than following him to the market to talk to him (but that would be boring). 

Bond back in England: This part is basically a bridge designed to lead Bond to the next events. Bond brings out another Aston (from OHMSS) and rides to MI6 against the backdrop of the Bond theme. I like how the OHMSS theme was played when Bond and M were discussing the issues suggesting that Bond is back in the service. We meet Blofeld briefly as well. Nomi-Bond exchanges were funny ... By and large, I would say this is the slow phase of the film and contains many of the things many do not care for such as the M-Bond confrontation and the Scooby-Doo team working together behind the back (saw that in Skyfall and SPECTRE too). Could have simplified Bond's return to MI6. 

Norway: A good segment where we meet Bond's family and also see brilliant action sequences including Bond avenging Leiter. The intensity is similar to Bond avenging Ferrara by kicking the Merc with Locque off the cliff in FYEO.  Safin gets Bond's family, a segue to the finale. 

The Poison Island: Another interesting segment. Finally, we see the poison island concept from the book "You Only Live Twice" adapted on screen. Safin remains understated which is how most Bond villains tend to be. The action here is smartly done as well. The glider + submarine and "Q-dar" give this segment a nice touch. Good to see Nomi give the 007# back to Bond (and it is quickly approved by M). 

Bond's death: Not too comfortable with it but a concept borrowed from the book "From Russia with Love". For argument purposes, one can say that Bond could have done this to survive or the story could have gone that way but it does not matter as the goal of the filmmakers was to kill Bond. They would have done it whether in this way or some other way. So the question now is does this way work? I would say it does. The missiles traveling to the island with Bond smiling and waiting for them is an iconic (and tragic) moment. 

Rating: The story (including the use of Fleming material), score, cinematography, acting, direction, etc. are all solid for the genre. Overall relative to Bond films, I would give it a 9-9.5/10!

35 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

I am not able to go for the first time itself. Need company, SO hates to go to theatres. Thinking of registering in a dating app just to see the movie

Try to watch it this week as NTTD could move out of IMAX next week with Dune coming out ... Usually a new film stays for 2-3 weeks in IMAX and UAVX (Canada) then would be available in regular screens only :dontknow: ... Next 007 film may take a while to come

Edited by zen

Things I noticed in this latest movie

Plot: With pandemic flaring, the plot was very topical. DNA targeting using nanobots is a research subject, they are unique. He has a love interest and a family now, bond is seen monogamous and very woke. Vibes of OHMSS. Looks like the makers made note of all  the toxic masculinity allegations of the neo awakened liberals into consideration. There are token characters of all ethnicities- black. brown , female agents and gays. It seemed forced and unnatural if it is done because of all liberal whining about Bond movies. Nevertheless the plot is a good watch, but found very predictable, no plot twists whatsoever. There is no reason why Safin spares the little girl. 

Action: fast cars. Bikes are all there, fist fights are Daniel’s signature, but too much bravado as Sooda says. He doesn’t get bothered by rays of bullets, not worrying about getting a scratch. Walks around like terminator. 

Witty lines: aplenty as any Bond movie, enjoyed a couple of them, esp the one about the bad guy with a fake eye and one from the female 007.

End: They gave many hints, Felix dying and 007 reinstated just before the climax. I didn’t think I’d outlive Bond,  but, I guess they will a find a way to bring him back alive for the next one , before I die. 

Rating 7/10

Edited by coffee_rules

NTTD moves to #3 world wide, the biggest English language hit of 2021 so far:

2021 Worldwide Box Office

Rank Release Group Worldwide Domestic % Foreign %
1 The Battle at Lake Changjin $882,577,720 - - $882,577,720 100%
2 Hi, Mom $822,009,764 - - $822,009,764 100%
3 No Time to Die $734,091,693 $154,688,693 21.1% $579,403,000 78.9%
4 F9: The Fast Saga $721,077,945 $173,005,945 24% $548,072,000 76%
5 Detective Chinatown 3 $686,257,563 - - $686,257,563 100%
Edited by zen

Top markets so far (Current gross $735M world wide):

US & CA $155M+

UK $124M+

Germany $69M+

China $60M+

Japan $22M+

Netherlands $21M+ 

Russia $12M+

Norway $10+M 

South Korea $10M+

Some European countries and Australia are in the $8M to $10M range 

Edited by zen

US$765M Worldwide ... Highest grossing English language film of the pandemic era!! 

Rank Release Group                    Worldwide       Domestic    %              Foreign              %
1 The Battle at Lake Changjin $899,259,751 $268,652 <0.1% $898,991,099 100%
2 Hi, Mom $822,009,764 - - $822,009,764 100%
3 No Time to Die $764,950,814 $159,617,814 20.9% $605,333,000 79.1%
4 F9: The Fast Saga $726,229,501 $173,005,945 23.8% $553,223,556 76.2%
5 Detective Chinatown 3 $686,257,563 - - $686,257,563 100%

Edited by zen