Who was the most lethal of the express pace fast bowlers and not just genuine pace?

Who was the most lethal of the express pace fast bowlers and not just genuine pace?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the most lethal of the express pace fast bowlers and not just genuine pace?

• Sylvester Clarke
    • Michael Holding
    • Mitchelle Johnson
    • Alan Donald
    • Waqar Younus
    • Shoaib Akhtar
    • Shane Bond
    • Patrick Paterson
    • Jeff Thomson
    • Harold Laarwood
    • Dale Steyn
    • Mitchelle Stark
    • Shaun Tait
    • Brett Lee
    • Andy Roberts

5 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

I think they were. I mean, Devon and Patterson. But yes, I agree that its so difficult to prove. They were definitely quicker than Donald, I would say.

I posted Devon video above. He certainly is fast there, carribean origin pacer. He too seems like Archer, Fidel, gabriel pace.

30 minutes ago, the don said:

Pace list dominated by Akhtar  followed by Lee and than Waqar and random deliveries from some other names. 

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/records/95065.html

This isnt complete btw as i saw akhtat hit 158 - 160 multiple times in a match against England let alone career. I can share the video here. 

Quite a few readings missing here. 

Here's Lee hitting 160. He hit 160 even in WC 2003.

19 minutes ago, the don said:

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/records/95065.html

He was rarely measured at his peak yet he features quite heavily here. 

The  is not official list,its based on his observation

Second,a weird thing, which is Mark Wood's 143 as fastest delivery ,

A dubious list,last thing to bank upon

Where is Starc's fastest of 160k which is accepted as fastest delivery ever to be delivered in test cricket

If it is quoting t20 speeds(though waqar didn't play one),where is Shaun Tait then?he bowled an entire over in Aus above 158k

If it listing oneday cricket fastest deliveries then why isn't listing Brett Lee's several 158+ deliveries ,one of them was 160+ to Attapattu in WC 2003 semis where he dismantled his stumps 

This will be the last list to pay heed to

30 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Everyone here agrees about this part.

No dispute here.

There are just 2 deliveries by Waqar over 150 kph ... fastest being 153 k. 

And those are the discussed higher speeds of Waqar in this thread.  (  Nowhere near the Akhtar / Lee range  )

P.s - This list has not been updated after the year 2002 or thereabouts.

Oh Lee and akhtar were in a league of their own pace wise. 

No one before. No one after 

10 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

Where is Starc's fastest of 160k which is accepted as fastest delivery ever to be delivered in test cricket

If it is quoting t20 speeds(though waqar didn't play one),where is Shaun Tait then?he bowled an entire over in Aus above 158k

If it listing oneday cricket fastest deliveries then why isn't listing Brett Lee's several 158+ deliveries ,one of them was 160+ to Attapattu in WC 2003 semis where he dismantled his stumps 

Its an inconclusive list but none of tbe readings are wrong in that the bowlers mentioned bowled that sort of pace. 

34 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

Tait hit 160/161 as well

12 hours ago, express bowling said:

It is possible that in the 2003 to 2009 era, the speed guns were jacked up a bit in some series and some tournaments.   Otherwise, Starc and Gsbriel look as quick or quicker than these pacers but do not touch similar high speeds as them. 

I remember that in 1999 to 2002 period ... when speed guns were used for the first time ball by ball in most matches and shown on TV  ... there was disappointment that bowlers were not touching the coveted very high speeds.  After that, it is possible that some tweaks were done on speed guns to bring about excitement among viewers.

From 2011 or thereabouts, when high-speed cameras were regularly used in international matches ... and measured bowling speeds absolutely correctly ... this practice had to be done away with in most international matches.

Ofcourse yeah the measure of speed is not standardised may be they were radar gun based earlier now high speed camera based probably. Even now different sources quote different numbers. But what is safe ia to say Lee and Akthar were faster than rest at that time.

3 minutes ago, Vilander said:

Umesh hit 156.x in test match some time back. I dont think Waqar ever hit that speed. 

But this thread is about hostility so yeah waqar was definitely a hostile bowler. 

Waqar was rarely clocked but did measure at 154 kph in England and 153 kph in Southafrica. 

Moot point.  No one in history was as hostile as Akhtar/Thread.

Umesh hit 156 kph in test cricket? Nice. 

12 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

Also, just to add, the 2 best people who can judge a bowlers pace are the - 1) Umpires;  - 2) Wicket Keepers; 

Now, apart from international cricket, Srinath played county for Gloucestershire and umpires like Dickie Bird claimed he was the fastest. And on records said that he was faster than Donald. And so did the team mates of Srinath and oppositions said so. I dont have those articles anymore, but trust me I am not lying. 

Nayan Mongia during that time, had many a times said that Srinath was faster than the West Indian bowlers. 

For the lack of evidence, I would say, just trust me.  I am not making this up, I have actually read all these articles. 

Dude his final series wc 2003 he consistently hit 140+ when other speed demons like waqar and wasim trundled at 130. Srinath does not get his due as he was docile. But he was quick that too not consistently.