Australian Open 2020

Real McCoy

Federer was never gonna win this match with his form and injury hampering his movement. He did well to not sustain a beating. He was injured as he was clearly trying to shorten the points, speeds reducing etc. He went all out in the first set, but if you are struggling with form, ageing, and fitness issues, that redlining is not gonna last, once Nole stopped being nervous and clowning around, he started playing better , near his best. Obviously he would run away with the match. Even if Fed won the first set, this would've been a 4 sets loss for him. 

But a lot of positives to take from the tournament, like his mental strength and fighting spirit has certainly improved. The first set he played against Djokovic till 5-2 was the best he played whole tournament. 

He certainly has gotten better at the Djokovic meetings. If he's in decent form and 100% fit  in the future, and those are big ifs, then this matchup will be very competitive throughout the year. 

Disappointed for Federer. It was sad seeing him struggle to get down to play some shots. His five set matches against Millman and Sandgren had its toll. He has only himself to blame there. His mental strength is underestimated by most people. We wish he plays like this without feeling any pressure as he did in this tournament. That brings the best out of him. he has to play his brand of tennis rather than focusing on the weaknesses of opponents. He is an inspiration for many as he is still playing at this age. His best chance may be at wimbledon.

So, it's Thiem vs Djokovic. Can Thiem channel his inner Wawrinka and give Djokovic his scars? Has Thiem's time finally come? We'll find out tom. If Thiem is physcially and mentally ready, then this will be a great match. Beating Djokovic, that too in the Final of AO in RLA, is not an easy task. Only Nadal at PC in RG is a tougher task in tennis. But Thiem certainly has the game to trouble Djokovic. 

9 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

Disappointed for Federer. It was sad seeing him struggle to get down to play some shots. His five set matches against Millman and Sandgren had its toll. He has only himself to blame there. His mental strength is underestimated by most people. We wish he plays like this without feeling any pressure as he did in this tournament. That brings the best out of him. he has to play his brand of tennis rather than focusing on the weaknesses of opponents. He is an inspiration for many as he is still playing at this age. His best chance may be at wimbledon.

It's all age. Father Time catches up to everyone. 

13 hours ago, I6MTW said:

So, it's Thiem vs Djokovic. Can Thiem channel his inner Wawrinka and give Djokovic his scars? Has Thiem's time finally come? We'll find out tom. If Thiem is physcially and mentally ready, then this will be a great match. Beating Djokovic, that too in the Final of AO in RLA, is not an easy task. Only Nadal at PC in RG is a tougher task in tennis. But Thiem certainly has the game to trouble Djokovic. 

I doubt Thiem can take out Djokovic. He crumbles under pressure but I expect it to be a close match. Its also AO. Novak has reached it 7 times and won everytime he has reached the finals. Thiem is an underdog and winning the championship for the first time will be playing on his mind so will be the strength of the opponent. If he does do it, this will be the making of him. I want it to go the full distance and make the match interesting no matter who wins. Lets see a super tie breaker in the 5th set and see if Theim has what it takes to win it against the king of teibreakers in his own den

Disgusting Final. Thiem had DJ on the ropes but couldn't cross the finish line. Nole's behavior on court in the Final was appalling as well. The better player almost never wins in tennis lately. Medvedev against Rafa, Thiem now, Federer against DJ. Unlike the prev Gen, the current gen has the game to beat the big 3 in their decline but lack the mental strength to do it consistently or cross the finish line when in a winning position. 

4 hours ago, I6MTW said:

Disgusting Final. Thiem had DJ on the ropes but couldn't cross the finish line. Nole's behavior on court in the Final was appalling as well. The better player almost never wins in tennis lately. Medvedev against Rafa, Thiem now, Federer against DJ. Unlike the prev Gen, the current gen has the game to beat the big 3 in their decline but lack the mental strength to do it consistently or cross the finish line when in a winning position. 

I won't call it disgusting but the boring king of unforced errors 30+ player won against a younger offense oriented player. Thiem did have Nole on the ropes after the third set but Nole took an "MTO" for reasons unknown and Thiem didn't even ask what the reason was. Federer or Wawrinka would have badgered the umps about it and made sure they don't allow it again. Thiem was being nice and passive about it. After the timeout, Nole was a different player and the momentum swung towards him. Maybe we should investigate every match where he is being pushed hard. Does he take MTOs in every such match. Nole lost only one set in the entire tournament leading up to the finals and had an extra day of rest and recovery. Why the need for a MTO.

Also laying hands on the ump would result in a code violation. He got away with it. He was accusing the ump as an attention seeker for enforcing time. These are the benefits of being in the big 3.

All hail King Nole :hatsoff:

Well on his way to become GOAT, won 5 out of last 7 slams, who would have thought when Pepe Imaz was working his magic? 

Once again goes to show that at the highest level, mental toughness is most important, since 2014 SW19 Nole's play on big points has been something else. His ROS is the single greatest shot in tennis history even though he has found Fed's serve challenging in recent times. 

I think both him and Nadal will pass Fed's GS tally by end of 2021. 

Olympics very important for both Fed and Nole, the player who wins it will have an advantage in the GOAT debate after their careers are done, last chance at elusive gold for both. 

Edited by Gollum

Nole should pass Fed in weeks at #1 tally this year itself. As important as GS count IMO. NCYGS, 5 ATP finals, career 'Golden Masters', 34 M1000 with chance of adding more....wow !!!

40-15 will haunt me for the rest of my life. 2010 USO, 2011 USO as well, and add 2015 USO BP comedy show...Fed is his own worst enemy. Also 0-3 in SW19 finals against Nole jeez, the Serbian owns this match-up. Nole and Nadal both invincible in their favourite majors !!!

Edited by Gollum

On 2/2/2020 at 7:07 PM, I6MTW said:

Disgusting Final. Thiem had DJ on the ropes but couldn't cross the finish line. Nole's behavior on court in the Final was appalling as well. The better player almost never wins in tennis lately. Medvedev against Rafa, Thiem now, Federer against DJ. 

Not enough to be the better player, need to play the big points better to become champion. For instance our fav Fed was worse than Roddick in the 2009 SW19 final. 

I think the last 2 GS finals have been won by the better players, disgusting to see younger legs giving up in the 5th, that's even worse than their mental * up. Fed was superior against DJ last June, no question....that choke is unforgivable. 

35 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Not enough to be the better player, need to play the big points better to become champion. For instance our fav Fed was worse than Roddick in the 2009 SW19 final. 

I think the last 2 GS finals have been won by the better players, disgusting to see younger legs giving up in the 5th, that's even worse than their mental * up. Fed was superior against DJ last June, no question....that choke is unforgivable. 

2009 W final was ugly for sure. Roddick deserved that one. Some say Fed's choke in the 5th set of W 2019 is payback/poetic justice for being on the receiving end of that choke.

The younger players just don't have that killer instinct, X factor, and champion mentality to be clutch and pull not victories from defeat. They are even outlasted physcially by 30 year olds.