Covid has exposed Indian tech industry’s over-dependency on U.S

Cricketics

Just like many industries all over the world, US tech industry also got hit a bit even though not as much as other industries. However, while it has been easy for many companies here to cut funding and let go some of its full time employees or just lay them off for a bit, biggest impact has been on the contractors. Contractors such as the ones based in India who offer software services and support are the ones which are being directly hit where many Indians are losing their jobs in tech. 

Even with so much talent, it is hard to believe that India’s top tech companies are only leaders in providing consulting support or tech support and software services to American companies. When the client doesn’t have any work to be completed like in this Covid times, the big contractors in India are having to let go their employees. We don’t have plan B really. 

India and Indians are being directly hit by what happens in the U.S. This is not to blame on current government or the one from the past, but the mentality which we have developed where any startup which progresses, its owner thinks of selling it off to some company overseas is costing the future students and in particular the millenials, big time in India. 

As we get so passionate about saying no to “Made in China” products, we must also give importance in promoting start ups in India and should get the government to increase their funding. 

I know India has a powerful network for startups but something is wrong somewhere where we are not making anything happen or making a fundamental progress. Startups in India haven’t been turning into big tech companies. Our employees hence are still attracted to software services to American companies.

The day cloud computing bursts in U.S, Indians in India are the ones who will have to face the massive price for this. We need to learn from these current times. For a country where many strive to be computer science students, we lack local jobs. We lack companies. Realty check needed for Indian tech industry. 

3 hours ago, EnterTheVoid said:

All the Telugu abbayis and ammayis have nicely settled themselves into Software Testing/Software Development roles. A legacy of all the Wipro/TCS/Infosys'es of the world

Andharu mana batch yeh.

Not everyone is rich and can go to Antarctica or do extreme adventures :p:. Software industry was major job provider during 90s and early 2000s. India’s unemployment reduced a lot with software services industry. 

@Cricketics India does has lot of start ups serving local population but no where close to global industry of services. Startups are getting bought as well. Indian software industry should at least adopt product making culture. All the major companies only concentrate on services. There are still lot of jobs with cloud computing but less skilled ones are eliminated.

2 hours ago, gattaca said:

Not everyone is rich and can go to Antarctica or do extreme adventures :p:. Software industry was major job provider during 90s and early 2000s. India’s unemployment reduced a lot with software services industry. 

@Cricketics India does has lot of start ups serving local population but no where close to global industry of services. Startups are getting bought as well. Indian software industry should at least adopt product making culture. All the major companies only concentrate on services. There are still lot of jobs with cloud computing but less skilled ones are eliminated.

My exact point. Btw, startups being bought is actually more like “startups being sold”. This is where our people have to think hard on not settling with selling it off but instead to expand. Skills will be always there in India but consultancy and software services need to be not just provided to American companies, but also to Indian companies. But this is where we ask - where are those Indian companies who need these services for which they will hire Tata, Wipro etc for? That is the point. We need to have more and more Indian companies. Currently the situation is very volatile. 

18 hours ago, Cricketics said:

know India has a powerful network for startups but something is wrong somewhere where we are not making anything happen

Here is the thing. 

1 indian subscriber is lot less valuable as a revenue source than 1 American or European subscriber. Indian startups in tech have to think global just basing in India is not enough.

30 minutes ago, Vilander said:

Here is the thing. 

1 indian subscriber is lot less valuable as a revenue source than 1 American or European subscriber. Indian startups in tech have to think global just basing in India is not enough.

Well at this time they are bot even in India, they keep selling it away.

You know Ola, Uber’s competitor in India was also being sold overseas. Uber would have monoploized the market then in India with high rates. Luckily government blocked that move. 

32 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Well at this time they are bot even in India, they keep selling it away.

You know Ola, Uber’s competitor in India was also being sold overseas. Uber would have monoploized the market then in India with high rates. Luckily government blocked that move. 

Yup make profit and exit. This app ban is a boon in that space. More should follow.

15 hours ago, gattaca said:

Who said I was rich?

Poor as a church mouse at the moment. Don't have two nickels to rub together.

Bangalore startup ecosystem is in a big soup ..

many of my ex-colleagues who moved to startups from high paying product companies/MNCs are regretting their bad luck  :sad_smile:

one of the sister companies that i worked for asked their employees to take 20/25% of their take home till things show improvement ..

yesterday i had a conversation with my cousin .. her next door neighbor ( neighbor's husband is a co-founder of a software startup ) asked her to lend 1L , but my cousin told her to ask her husband directly ..

later neighbor's husband called and got 10k from them .. 

and these are the guys who bought their apartments for 75/80L in 2014/2015 ..

2rcDDN.jpg

edit:-

i asked her whether i make this viral by putting it in twitter .. but she refused :(( 

Edited by velu

3 hours ago, velu said:

Bangalore startup ecosystem is in a big soup ..

many of my ex-colleagues who moved to startups from high paying product companies/MNCs are regretting their bad luck  :sad_smile:

one of the sister companies that i worked for asked their employees to take 20/25% of their take home till things show improvement ..

yesterday i had a conversation with my cousin .. her next door neighbor ( neighbor's husband is a co-founder of a software startup ) asked her to lend 1L , but my cousin told her to ask her husband directly ..

later neighbor's husband called and got 10k from them .. 

and these are the guys who bought their apartments for 75/80L in 2014/2015 ..

2rcDDN.jpg

edit:-

i asked her whether i make this viral by putting it in twitter .. but she refused :(( 

I understand the need to take risks in life when  working on startups and common things include givinf up big pay, easy money etc, but you also have to live the life of a minimalist. I am not sure how lavishly they spend, ofcourse, you might know that better, but one can’t drop so dead low in cash savings that you are borrowing money when once you held a great job.

Surely they need financial advisor in their life. Its sad to see the struggles in the life of people who go on to take risks for building their start ups but you got to understand finances and manage it well.