Speeds and Performances of Pacers and Spinners in IPL 2020

express bowling

9 hours ago, rkt.india said:

You can't play them all formats every game that's why need to develop koti, Mavi, prasidh, Kartik.

Not talking about all formats ... but tests and ODIs. Wrote that clearly in that post.  Shami is not good enough in T20s. And pacers will obviously be rested by rotation in ODIs too.

Developing young quicks is a no brainer. But Prasidh, Nagarkoti, Mavi and Tyagi should be introduced via ODIs and not T20Is. T20 is an unforgiving format even for good bowlers and does not give a clear picture about their ability in the other 2 formats. While ODI bowling has elements of both test bowling and T20 bowling.

Edited by express bowling

3 hours ago, express bowling said:

Not talking about all formats ... but tests and ODIs. Wrote that clearly in that post.  Shami is not good enough in T20s. And pacers will obviously be rested by rotation in ODIs too.

Developing young quicks is a no brainer. But Prasidh, Nagarkoti, Mavi and Tyagi should be introduced via ODIs and not T20Is. T20 is an unforgiving format even for good bowlers and does not give a clear picture about their ability in the other 2 formats. While ODI bowling has elements of both test bowling and T20 bowling.

The way i see it they will introduce Mavi & Kamlesh through  T20 only - due to injury issues  for at least one season.

It would be better for Kamlesh to just focus on short formats  for next 2 years  and then think about longer formats .

That  period will also give him play 4 dayers in ranji and test & prepare himself .

28 minutes ago, prudent_kreeda said:

The way i see it they will introduce Mavi & Kamlesh through  T20 only - due to injury issues  for at least one season.   

Many pacers feel that 1 or 2 over spells in T20s make them more prone to injuries. 

The standard 3 to 5 over spells and just 10 overs a day is the best for injury management while practicing sufficient bowling workload but not overdoing it.

14 hours ago, express bowling said:

Very true bro  !

One relief though is that Bumrah has not lost his pinpoint quick yorker but is probably not using it enough to put less stress on his back.

I thought short balls are ones where you stress on your back.  Not sure if the problem is something else. We ( I couldn’t find noteceable difference) need to watch his action carefully. Has something changed in his action? Or is it skipper asking him. Sometimes bowlers themselves get pumped up and in heat of moment ball short balls.

14 hours ago, express bowling said:

Bumrah, Saini and Shami can be a very good trio in tests and ODIs.

Need a good swing bowler who can get new ball wickets. Ishant has developed a good inswinger. Bhuvi was good in SA but hasn't played test cricket since.

This attack is good for Aus-SA but in Eng or NZ a moderately pacy swing bowler is needed.

31 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Many pacers feel that 1 or 2 over spells in T20s make them more prone to injuries. 

The standard 3 to 5 over spells and just 10 overs a day is the best for injury management while practicing sufficient bowling workload but not overdoing it.

That is so true. Pace bowlers arms get warmed up properly by end of back to back  overs and can last till 7-8th over. Its better to use pace bowlers for 4 overs in a row then rely on 1-2 over spells. I want some t-20 captain try that With genuine pacers instead of 1-2 over spells.

44 minutes ago, Forward Defence said:

Need a good swing bowler who can get new ball wickets. Ishant has developed a good inswinger. Bhuvi was good in SA but hasn't played test cricket since.

This attack is good for Aus-SA but in Eng or NZ a moderately pacy swing bowler is needed.

This attack will work in Australia, SA, WI. And two among them can be picked for tests in Asia.

We won't play tests in NZ for 3.5 or 4.5 more years. 

Yes ... we need a good swing bowler for England. We can use Ishant.  That is just 1 test series in the next 3 years or so.

And Ishant should be in the pool of 4 pacers for Test matches generally. But his fitness has been an issue starting early 2019. He is well into his 30s and been playing for 13 years. We need to find a replacement for him soon.

Prasidh is very good at bowling outswingers. Plus he is tall. fast and bouncy. He can be the complete package and a like-to-like replacement for Ishant.  He averages 20 in FC with a SR of 43.  He just needs a few more FC games under his belt. We need to develop him for FC. And he needs to train to sustain pace in 5 day games.

18 minutes ago, mishra said:

I thought short balls are ones where you stress on your back.  Not sure if the problem is something else. We ( I couldn’t find noteceable difference) need to watch his action carefully. Has something changed in his action? Or is it skipper asking him. Sometimes bowlers themselves get pumped up and in heat of moment ball short balls.

His action looks more or less the same.

Bumrah has used the yorker very sparingly after his return from back injury.  But he has used the bouncer quite liberally as he ususlly does. 

Question is ... why has he ignored the yorker to a large extent even in LOIs in early 2020 ?

^ what i can say is term swing bowling is overhyped in English conditions. The pitches in England or Kiwiland are similar and have enough grass for seam movement. Its the wind speed in these countries that contribute to automatic swing. If you can control side facing  the wind, choose correct end to ball to, and correct speed ( speed of ball is very key as you want wind to be able to blow the ball in certain direction) you become unplayable. Swing is more like wind doing the trick for you. People in India can compare the wind to that of summer loo, but just 1.5 to twice the speed with speed and direction changing every ball you ball.

6 minutes ago, express bowling said:

His action looks more or less the same.

Bumrah has used the yorker very sparingly after his return from back injury.  But he has used the bouncer quite liberally as he ususlly does. 

Question is ... why has he ignored the yorker to a large extent even in LOIs in early 2020 ?

I am saying from experience of bowlers i know and myself. Its short ball where back comes into play. 

lets just hope that someone is not giving him incorrect advise as imo, if he is nursing/cautious of his back, he should avoid bowling short. 

5 minutes ago, mishra said:

I am saying from experience of bowlers i know and myself. Its short ball where back comes into play. 

lets just hope that someone is not giving him incorrect advise as imo, if he is nursing/cautious of his back, he should avoid bowling short. 

Personally, I have found both the bouncers and the quick yorkers to be moderately stressful on the back.

2 hours ago, mishra said:

^ what i can say is term swing bowling is overhyped in English conditions. The pitches in England or Kiwiland are similar and have enough grass for seam movement. Its the wind speed in these countries that contribute to automatic swing. If you can control side facing  the wind, choose correct end to ball to, and correct speed ( speed of ball is very key as you want wind to be able to blow the ball in certain direction) you become unplayable. Swing is more like wind doing the trick for you. People in India can compare the wind to that of summer loo, but just 1.5 to twice the speed with speed and direction changing every ball you ball.

Good seam bowlers have always worked in England. And we have seen that with Bumrah too. 

But I think he was talking about variety. One highly skilled proper swing bowler will lend variety to a 3 pacer bowling attack in England. But he has to be a good bowler ... no point playing a swing bowler for the sake of variety alone.

3 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Personally, I have found both the bouncers and the quick yorkers to be moderately stressful on the back.

Don’t know about yorkers. However bouncers are certainly where your back has to arch yourself max and despite what speed guns say, you put extra effort so that ball reaches batsman quicker ie you loading your back with additional stretch and effort. Our club has couple of coaches who has been part of English coaching squad and are very at advising with reasons to correct the flaws. I will definitely reconfirm the view about Yorkers as I never feel any excessive stretch bowling yorkers (except effort to just ball at slightly extra pace)

22 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Good seam bowlers have always worked in England. And we have seen that with Bumrah too. 

But I think he was talking about variety. One highly skilled proper swing bowler will lend variety to a 3 pacer bowling attack in England. But he had to be a good bowler ... no point playing a swing bowler for the sake of variety alone.

Absolutely agree. In English conditions if you can control ball, you can bowl maiden after maiden effortlessly. Swing, seam is all about conditions here while wickets are bi product as long as you have more patience than batsman facing you. Thats why you need to break that patience by bowling in pairs. U avoid hamstring and with a decent partner, you can have longetivity of Anderson