2020 French Open

I6MTW

Shapvalov’s doubles game was scheduled just few hours after his marathon 5 set match which he lost. He went all out on the French Open organizers for poor scheduling and conditions of the ball. Nadal complained about the balls used too.

Also interestingly Shapavalov also said that there is no bubble here in Paris.

There is no bubble,” :said Shapovalov. “You can leave the hotel, you can go to the city, there’s no problem, there’s nobody stopping you. New York (which operated a ‘bubble’ for the US Open) was done way better.”

32 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Shapvalov’s doubles game was scheduled just few hours after his marathon 5 set match which he lost. He went all out on the French Open organizers for poor scheduling and conditions of the ball. Nadal complained about the balls used too.

Also interestingly Shapavalov also said that there is no bubble here in Paris.

There is no bubble,” :said Shapovalov. “You can leave the hotel, you can go to the city, there’s no problem, there’s nobody stopping you. New York (which operated a ‘bubble’ for the US Open) was done way better.”

French Open organizers are always like that. They screwed up last year as well with the finals. Thiem faced Djoko in the SF on a friday and postponed to saturday due to rain delay and had to play the final on sunday. Theim was a nice guy he didn't complain. If Djoko won the SF, he would have told the organizers to eff of and play it on monday and that would have put the egg on the organizers faces :facepalm:

Also, this is another reason why I believe this covid crisis is a man made one. They dont need a bubble. If you can venture out into the city with no problems, then there is no virus. Also why are the players not wearing masks while playing but some people wear it after the game is over. Seems ridiculous to me. I watched the Berrettini vs Harris match yesterday and Harris put on his mask before leaving the arena. The ball boys collect the balls used by the players with no mask on.

Man Diego, jeez. What a game. Not sure how long he will last against Nadal but what a game against Thiem and fully deserved win with the hardwork which he has put over last few years after consistently being ranked in the top 15-20. Punching above his weight. Just 5)3 kind of game you wanna watch on boring Tuesday. 

22 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Man Diego, jeez. What a game. Not sure how long he will last against Nadal but what a game against Thiem and fullu deserved win with the hardwork which he has put over last few years after consistently being ranked in the top 15-20. Punching above his weight. Just 5)3 kind of game you wanna watch on boring Tuesday. 

Diego the perfect jobber for Rafa. Diego is to Rafa what Stanimal is to Federer. Also Diego trains with Rafa. easy game. Expect a routine straight set win for Rafa in the SF. Thiem and Nole are the only real contenders against Rafa. Theim getting eliminated means its a cake walk for Rafa. Congrats Rafa on a 13th RG title. Now he will equal Federer.

Edit: RG is sh1t and the organizers are shittier. They call it clay but it looks like mud. Did they really want to organize the event at this time of the year and especially since lockdown. Why can't they be decent like Wimbledon and call it off.

Edited by Real McCoy

1 hour ago, Real McCoy said:

Edit: RG is sh1t and the organizers are shittier. They call it clay but it looks like mud. Did they really want to organize the event at this time of the year and especially since lockdown. Why can't they be decent like Wimbledon and call it off.

Been mentioning this for a while. Look at US Open, without even crowds, top class coverage, well managed even with all the controversy with NY hosting the tournament. 

First time watched a full game of the young Italian Sinner today. He really pushed Nadal in the first two sets. Nadal wasn’t pushed like this throughout the tournament. I like this 19 year old. Pretty impressive on this slow French Open surface. One to keep an eye on. 

1 hour ago, Cricketics said:

First time watched a full game of the young Italian Sinner today. He really pushed Nadal in the first two sets. Nadal wasn’t pushed like this throughout the tournament. I like this 19 year old. Pretty impressive on this slow French Open surface. One to keep an eye on. 

He's basically like a new version of Berdych. Except, this Berdych won't have to contend with prime big 3 for titles.

Clay is such a pathetic surface, easiest cure to insomnia much like grass in the 90s, only Madrid Open is watchable. Still the only part of the season I watch thoroughly is clay cos it overlaps with stupid IPL.

21 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Clay is such a pathetic surface, easiest cure to insomnia much like grass in the 90s, only Madrid Open is watchable. Still the only part of the season I watch thoroughly is clay cos it overlaps with stupid IPL.

Clay is fun to watch if there is competition plus if there are players who actually know how to play on clay. Fognini is quite pleasing to watch on clay. Even Federer was fun to watch. Kuerten as well. Clay actually rewards proper point construction. It's a myth that only defensive players can succeed on clay. 

1 hour ago, I6MTW said:

Clay is fun to watch if there is competition plus if there are players who actually know how to play on clay. Fognini is quite pleasing to watch on clay. Even Federer was fun to watch. Kuerten as well. Clay actually rewards proper point construction. It's a myth that only defensive players can succeed on clay. 

Point construction agree but I am talking about slow as molasses courts. There is a difference between Madrid clay and Monte Carlo clay.