Eoin Morgan says players can earn T20 World Cup spot in ODIs

sage

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/56472575

Captain Eoin Morgan says players from outside England's Twenty20 side can use the one-day series against India to push their case to be at the World Cup.

England will be without one-day regulars Joe Root, Chris Woakes and Jofra Archer for the three-match series, which begins on Tuesday.

T20 stars Dawid Malan and Chris Jordan are only reserves to the one-day squad.

"We see the 50-over format between the two T20 World Cups as a building block for our squad," said Morgan.

"Given the squads are very similar, we see both skill sets as very valuable.

There is much in common b/w the two formats so do not se issues if someone, esp. playing attacking cricket whether with bat and ball, makes a case for a place ... I have not seen Eng squad in detail but I guess there would be some talented cricketers who could push the incumbents 

41 minutes ago, zen said:

There is much in common b/w the two formats so do not se issues if someone, esp. playing attacking cricket whether with bat and ball, makes a case for a place ... I have not seen Eng squad in detail but I guess there would be some talented cricketers who could push the incumbents 

Bowling 4 overs vs 10 overs is a huge difference though. 

A good T20 player should do well in odi. But then how come West Indies struggle in the longer format? 

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

Bowling 4 overs vs 10 overs is a huge difference though. 

A good T20 player should do well in odi. But then how come West Indies struggle in the longer format? 

Here Eng is using ODIs though ... As for WI, I haven’t followed much of their cricket lately so am not aware if they are playing their full strength team in each format/series 

26 minutes ago, zen said:

Here Eng is using ODIs though ... As for WI, I haven’t followed much of their cricket lately so am not aware if they are playing their full strength team in each format/series 

Half of the Windies t20 players are busy minting money playing in all t20 leagues and buying villas in st lucia. So naturally they are reluctant to play odi s and often are not part of the selection pool. Andre Russell Narine etc .. hence the windies have separate teams for all three formats..