Favorite film from each decade (2021)

zen

A favorite film from each decade thread. Since this is a favorite films thread, anything goes including guilty pleasures. You can mix Hollywood, Bollywood, and Foreign Language films, along with TV movies. 

A couple of rules:

• You should have watched the films in the last 2-3 years (to keep the list relatively current).
  • For a decade you list your favorite, you should have watched at least 5 films from that decade. For e.g., I do not recall watching 5 films from 1910s in the last 2-3 years, so would not list anything from it. 2020s would be an exception since it is the current decade. 

Of course, such lists are live documents therefore subject to change  ... What is your favorite film from each decade (2021 list)? 

From the top of the mind recall, my list of favorite film from each decade (excluding 007 and Hitchcock films):

• 1920s: Metropolis (1927) - Set the visual grammar for Sci-Fi films. Captures German expressionism and a Gothic environment well. 
  • 1930s: The Island of Lost Souls (1932) - Based on the book The Island of Dr. Moreau. There have been a few films on the horrors on the island but the 1932 version remains its best adaptation. 
  • 1940s: Black Narcissus (1947) - A story of challenges faced by a group of nuns at a remote location in the Himalayas. Excellent cinematography and atmosphere in the film. 
  • 1950s: Seven Samurai (1954) - A timeless classic. Impressive everytime. 
  • 1960s: Lawrence of Arabia (1962) - Technically, a brilliant film. 
  • 1970s: Sholay (1975) - A quotable curry western. 
  • 1980s: Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) - A trend setting action-adventure film. 
  • 1990s: Dances With Wolves (1990) - A unique western epic where the natives are depicted as good guys. Beautiful film with a pleasing score. 
  • 2000s: In the Mood for Love (2000) - A love story par excellence. Technically mesmerizing too. 
  • 2010s: Inception (2010) - A different concept where information can be stolen or planted in dreams. 
  • 2020s (so far): Zack Snyder's Justice League (2021) - A superhero epic. 

Let's say a decade is 

1st Jan 2021- 31st Dec 2030

1950s: Pyaasa 

1960s: Mughal E Azam 

1970s: Deewar 

1980s: Mr. India 

1990s: DDLJ

2000s: Johnny Gaddaar 

2010s: Andhadhun 

2020s: Nothing worthwhile yet

Edited by Mariyam

3 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Let's say a decade is 

1st Jan 2021- 31st Dec 2030

1950s: Pyaasa 

1960s: Mughal E Azam 

1970s: Deewar 

1980s: Mr. India 

1990s: DDLJ

2000s: Johnny Gaddaar 

2010s: Andhadhun 

2020s: Nothing worthwhile yet

Only one SRK film :shock:  … Like that you included M-e-A and Mr. India 

btw, the decade would be for e.g. from 1 Jan 2020 to 31 Dec 2029 for 2020s 

2 minutes ago, zen said:

Only one SRK film :shock:  … Like that you included M-e-A and Mr. India 

btw, the decade would be for e.g. from 1 Jan 2020 to 31 Dec 2029 for 2020s 

All the good SRK films were in the 90s. :((

Had to pick one.

I'm not too clear on what a decade is. There was no year 0 AD. By your reasoning, the first decade would have only 9 years.

1st Jan 1 AD to 31sr Dec 9AD. Seems wrong.

14 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

All the good SRK films were in the 90s. :((

Had to pick one.

I'm not too clear on what a decade is. There was no year 0 AD. By your reasoning, the first decade would have only 9 years.

1st Jan 1 AD to 31sr Dec 9AD. Seems wrong.

What about in 2000s like  Kabhi Khushi Khabi Ghum, Kal Ho Na Ho, Main Hoon Na, etc., (haven’t watched them in a long time but liked them at the time of their release) 

We do not need to worry about 0 AD for films! One year here and there would not make a difference so your decade is fine too … I have included 1990 in 1990s for e.g. as the Tens place would have 9 in common 

Edited by zen

11 minutes ago, QuarantineTormentino said:

1990s: Schindler’s list

2000s: A Wednesday

2010s: avengers endgame

2020s: haven’t watched yet

Schindler’s List is a touching film … Also probably the first B&W film that I got on a 4K UHD disc! 

90s has a lot of my favorites including The Silence of the Lambs, Bram Stoker’s Dracula, Leon the Professional, True Lies,  Braveheart, The 5th Element, The Mask of Zorro, The Matrix, etc. 

Edited by zen

7 minutes ago, zen said:

Schindler’s List is a touching film … Also probably the first B&W film that I got on a 4K UHD disc! 

90s has a lot of my favorites including The Silence of the Lambs, Bram Stoker’s Dracula, Leon the Professional, True Lies,  Braveheart, The 5th Element, The Mask of Zorro, The Matrix, etc. 

The 90s has a lot of films by a lot of very good directors like Cameron, Tarantino, Spielberg, etc

34 minutes ago, zen said:

What about in 2000s like  Kabhi Khushi Khabi Ghum, Kal Ho Na Ho, Main Hoon Na, etc., (haven’t watched them in a long time but liked them at the time of their release) 

We do not need to worry about 0 AD for films! One year here and there would not make a difference so your decade is fine too … I have included 1990 in 1990s for e.g. as the Tens place would have 9 in common 

I like Kal Ho Na Ho for SRK's act.

But Johnny Gaddaar is a far better movie.

12 minutes ago, QuarantineTormentino said:

The 90s has a lot of films by a lot of very good directors like Cameron, Tarantino, Spielberg, etc

60s too with Mughal-e-Adam, Spartacus, Dr. Zhivago, Charade, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Dr. Strangelove, L’avventura, Umbrellas of Cherbourg, Eyes without a Face, Battle of Algiers, Sound of Music, Once Upon a Time the West, Django, Guns of Navarone, 8 1/2, Rocco and his brothers, etc. 

Edited by zen

1 hour ago, Lone Wolf said:

2000's I'll go with Inglourious Basterds.

1990's tough to pick with so many epics..  Goodfellas & Silence of the lambs for me. 

2010's Interstellar & Social Network

2021 so far Bob Odenkirk's Nobody

Pick only one "favorite", which can even be a guilty pleasure, of each decade! ... there are no right or wrong answers. the ones that miss out, you can name them next time 

2010s: The Social Network 

2000s: Memories of Murder 

1990s: L.A. Confidential 

1980s: The King of Comedy

1970s: Deewaar

1960s: High and Low

1950s: Vertigo

1940s: The Third Man

Could've picked Satya for the 90s, Brazil/Grave of The Fireflies for the 80s, Sholay/Chupke Chupke for the 70s and Psycho/Z for the 60s on another day!

7 hours ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

2010s: The Social Network 

2000s: Memories of Murder 

1990s: L.A. Confidential 

1980s: The King of Comedy

1970s: Deewaar

1960s: High and Low

1950s: Vertigo

1940s: The Third Man

Could've picked Satya for the 90s, Brazil/Grave of The Fireflies for the 80s, Sholay/Chupke Chupke for the 70s and Psycho/Z for the 60s on another day!

Like that you have The Third Man, Vertigo, High and Low, and Memories of Murder on your list. 

Is High and Low your favorite Kurosawa film as well?