Australia just won the T20 World Cup.

cricket in australia is like hockey in india. decent following but hardly no 1.

to be honest, in no country with multiple sports is cricket no 1.

only in south asia where countries are poor in other sports (more pronounced for countries other than india) is cricket popular.

it takes too long, is an asymmetrical turn based game (As in teams take turns to bat/bowl) and is toss/conditions dependent.

most popular sports are always where the play is simultaneous (tennis, hockey, football, basketball etc). even in athletics track events are more popular than field events because of that same nature.

hopefully as india becomes better at other sports, popularity of those sports rise too. watched badminton and hockey this olympics and they are incredible.

3 minutes ago, deathmonger said:

only in south asia where countries are poor in other sports (more pronounced for countries other than india) is cricket popular.

it takes too long, is an asymmetrical turn based game (As in teams take turns to bat/bowl) and is toss/conditions dependent.

most popular sports are always where the play is simultaneous (tennis, hockey, football, basketball etc). even in athletics track events are more popular than field events because of that same nature.

hopefully as india becomes better at other sports, popularity of those sports rise too. watched badminton and hockey this olympics and they are incredible.

I strongly believe India's time to do well at the Olympic Games has arrived. This is our turn to seriously start becoming contenders across sporting disciplines that are Olympic sports. Once this starts entering the news shows, then Cricket will keep its place, but other sports will grow around it. High time it happens in a vast, gigantic country like ours.

The future possibilities to grow as a Sporting Nation are mind boggling if we seize this moment. 

Edited by Adi_91
3 minutes ago, deathmonger said:

Don't think India can become better at sports, they will win a medal here or there.

India really needs to invest in it's young people and be encouraging as a society to try different things.

When I talk to my friends kids, they love trying different things, I am sure in India as well kids want to try different things but they must please they parents and society.

It's a cultural thing, kids in India are under too much pressure.

In Australia after finishing their high school people are encouraged to volunteer, take gap years etc. In fact when you go for a job interview it's a good thing if you have listed gap year straight our of school and have travelled or done some volunteer work.

3 minutes ago, SujitPrakash said:

Don't think India can become better at sports, they will win a medal here or there.

India really needs to invest in it's young people and be encouraging as a society to try different things.

When I talk to my friends kids, they love trying different things, I am sure in India as well kids want to try different things but they must please they parents and society.

It's a cultural thing, kids in India are under too much pressure.

In Australia after finishing their high school people are encouraged to volunteer, take gap years etc. In fact when you go for a job interview it's a good thing if you have listed gap year straight our of school and have travelled or done some volunteer work.

Things are changing in India. When I studied in school, it was more or less close to what you described. But, when I talk to young parents, they are themselves encouraging kids to play a sport. Most popular seems to be Badminton, but I was shocked when I heard that one of them sends their child for Skateboarding.

Of course, this is from a metro city. But a Neeraj Chopra winning a Gold has had a profound impact on the rural areas as well. The amount of good performances at the grassroots has been steadily increasing as well. And corporates like JSW Sports are doing their bit to encourage. We are not near the sporting culture in Australia and US, but this is a good start.

Results should follow soon at the International level (Olympic Games, Asian Games, etc). Clearly, the India of today is much different than what it was a decade back. With a young population with wide ambitions, this is bound to happen.

Just now, Adi_91 said:

Things are changing in India. When I studied in school, it was more or less close to what you described. But, when I talk to young parents, they are themselves encouraging kids to play a sport. Most popular seems to be Badminton, but I was shocked when I heard that one of them sends their child for Skateboarding.

Of course, this is from a metro city. But a Neeraj Chopra winning a Gold has had a profound impact on the rural areas as well. The amount of good performances at the grassroots has been steadily increasing as well. And corporates like JSW Sports are doing their bit to encourage. We are not near the sporting culture in Australia and US, but this is a good start.

Results should follow soon at the International level (Olympic Games, Asian Games, etc). Clearly, the India of today is much different than what it was a decade back. With a young population with wide ambitions, this is bound to happen.

Good to hear, about Neeraj Chopra.

It's good to see more money coming into  other sports as well, we Indians need to get away from cricket, on the world stage cricket is nothing.

Living in Australia I can see that cricket is not even in  the top 3 sports here.

India has so much talent, but it's all being wasted on cricket, a sport we Indians worship but yet we have done nothing of note.

The win against Australia was good, but even that was on a flat Brisbane deck, but can't take anything away from India that had a D grade side; and showed plenty of guts after Adelaide.

1 minute ago, SujitPrakash said:

Good to hear, about Neeraj Chopra.

It's good to see more money coming into  other sports as well, we Indians need to get away from cricket, on the world stage cricket is nothing.

Living in Australia I can see that cricket is not even in  the top 3 sports here.

India has so much talent, but it's all being wasted on cricket, a sport we Indians worship but yet we have done nothing of note.

The win against Australia was good, but even that was on a flat Brisbane deck, but can't take anything away from India that had a D grade side; and showed plenty of guts after Adelaide.

That was an incredible victory, because not only was it with a weak team but came under extreme circumstances (unprecedented injuries, racial abuse).

But, I consider the performance in the Olympic Games slightly bigger than the Test series win in Australia. We made a comeback from Rio debacle and had to prove a point that India is moving ahead in Sporting excellence. Olympics is much bigger than any WC of cricket as there are 200+ nations competing. 

What is good to see is the corporate involvement and a good Sports Ministry that has encouraged athletes to train and give their best. Credit must be given to the government. Similarly, Odisha has prioritized Archery and Hockey and given home to Indian Hockey under its own expense. Such actions make me very positive about India's rise in Hockey going ahead. Same is the case with Badminton and other disciplines.

Just now, Adi_91 said:

That was an incredible victory, because not only was it with a weak team but came under extreme circumstances (unprecedented injuries, racial abuse).

But, I consider the performance in the Olympic Games slightly bigger than the Test series win in Australia. We made a comeback from Rio debacle and had to prove a point that India is moving ahead in Sporting excellence. Olympics is much bigger than any WC of cricket as there are 200+ nations competing. 

What is good to see is the corporate involvement and a good Sports Ministry that has encouraged athletes to train and give their best. Credit must be given to the government. Similarly, Odisha has prioritized Archery and Hockey and given home to Indian Hockey under its own expense. Such actions make me very positive about India's rise in Hockey going ahead. Same is the case with Badminton and other disciplines.

That is excellent news, people in Australia always ask me why India with a population on 1.4 billion dose nothing at the Olympics or on the world stage.

But it's good news that more private companies are investing in other sports.

Just now, SujitPrakash said:

That is excellent news, people in Australia always ask me why India with a population on 1.4 billion dose nothing at the Olympics or on the world stage.

But it's good news that more private companies are investing in other sports.

Yup. Hero Motocorp has moved from cricket altogether and supporting Hockey, Badminton and Kabaddi. Dream11 too is now sponsoring the FIH Pro League (Hockey) where India Men and Women play against other top sides.

If you ask me, what has changed. Indian Hockey failed to qualify in 2008 Beijing Games and finished last in London 2012. Fast forward, Tokyo Games, India won a bronze. It shows that the right investment from Government and Corporates are yielding positive results. Hope that made your morning even better! :) 

2 minutes ago, Adi_91 said:

Yup. Hero Motocorp has moved from cricket altogether and supporting Hockey, Badminton and Kabaddi. Dream11 too is now sponsoring the FIH Pro League (Hockey) where India Men and Women play against other top sides.

If you ask me, what has changed. Indian Hockey failed to qualify in 2008 Beijing Games and finished last in London 2012. Fast forward, Tokyo Games, India won a bronze. It shows that the right investment from Government and Corporates are yielding positive results. Hope that made your morning even better! :) 

Yeah we need hockey to get back to the top, Indians can excel at so many sports if only we have the culture like NZ, Australia etc.

Just now, SujitPrakash said:

Yeah we need hockey to get back to the top, Indians can excel at so many sports if only we have the culture like NZ, Australia etc.

I kinda have a different take on it. I don't we need to mimic NZ or Aus or even USA here. The recent example is Great Britain. They were in a similar conundrum back in 90s when they won very few medals. What they did was, they prioritized certain Olympics sports and spent extensively to win medals. Sure, money can't win medals, but it will help in developing infrastructure.

Government has started to prioritize Badminton, Hockey, Shooting, Boxing and few others for the TOPS scheme. This is a good step in ensuring our athletes get focused training and a fixed stream of income to support their training and financial goals as they represent India. This is a welcome step. There are sporting bodies other than BCCI that are doing a good job, like National Rifles Association of India and Hockey India. The more professional the sporting associations become, the better it is.

All this is being achieved with cricket still being the number one sport. I want to see cricket also being played with the same enthusiasm as one sport need not be compromised for growing in others. There, we can look at Aus and take inspiration.

4 minutes ago, Adi_91 said:

I kinda have a different take on it. I don't we need to mimic NZ or Aus or even USA here. The recent example is Great Britain. They were in a similar conundrum back in 90s when they won very few medals. What they did was, they prioritized certain Olympics sports and spent extensively to win medals. Sure, money can't win medals, but it will help in developing infrastructure.

Government has started to prioritize Badminton, Hockey, Shooting, Boxing and few others for the TOPS scheme. This is a good step in ensuring our athletes get focused training and a fixed stream of income to support their training and financial goals as they represent India. This is a welcome step. There are sporting bodies other than BCCI that are doing a good job, like National Rifles Association of India and Hockey India. The more professional the sporting associations become, the better it is.

All this is being achieved with cricket still being the number one sport. I want to see cricket also being played with the same enthusiasm as one sport need not be compromised for growing in others. There, we can look at Aus and take inspiration.

Yeah excellent points, need to stop the corruption and change the culture in India.

I want to see India being competitive in sports, not just in a pissy sports like cricket.

We have made good strides in Hockey both men and women.

Need to take this momentum into other sports.

6 minutes ago, puneet28 said:

Seems like no one cares about Cricket here anymore. I asked people in office this morning and they were like "Well it is just a T20 world cup".
Had India won, we would have declared public holiday.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Yeah, same just had a few meetings and asked people about the cricket some didn't even know there was a cricket match on and the Aussies had won.

It's a joke that Aussies don't even care about this, 

Are you in Australia?

Edited by SujitPrakash
5 hours ago, SujitPrakash said:

Rather be "cheap laborer" in Australia than "cheap laborer" in India.

Rather be treated like a human being, enjoy the quality of life we get in Australia being a "cheap laborer", and being respected by everyone. 

But what do I know.

Australia is more like **** of western world man back country ugly unpad gawar of the west go there lulz and you are servant class in that country hehe.. Very bad situation. India is better sorry.. Run along. 

Aussie s don't care much about cricket as there is no prestige in it anymore since bangladeeesh India pakstaan etc play that in their minds that too low for them and here Mr true Aussie sujeet prakash runs around chest beating his ausiness and his superiority lulz.. :laugh: they don't like you there man now they don't like you in your origin country as well.. You have nothing. 

Edited by Vilander
4 hours ago, Adi_91 said:

all a function of per capita income and hdi. as india becomes richer, it's sports will increase (amongst other fields like global brands and pop culture).

21 minutes ago, Vilander said:

Aussie s don't care much about cricket as there is no prestige in it anymore since bangladeeesh India pakstaan etc play that in their minds that too low for them and here Mr true Aussie sujeet prakash runs around chest beating his ausiness and his superiority lulz.. :laugh: they don't like you there man now they don't like you in your origin country as well.. You have nothing. 

one of the reasons i like hockey lol. no Pakistani, Bangladeshs etc there.