Why do Indians get so offended by what people say about them or India?

SujitPrakash

20 minutes ago, zen said:

Because he/she is a) trying to impress (to impress you also have to say nice things about India) and show that he is “advanced” too and b)  cannot hide in a disciplined environment. 10 ppl will tell him to keep the area clean

In India, he finds like minded folks who would even tell him to throw the garbage on the road. Why bother to dispose it properly. Everyone does that so can you … As I said, India is worthless to him/her (why would you garbage a thing that is for worth to you)

But if India is worthless to those Indians, wouldn't they be treating their new country the same way? As worthless garbage?

When I was in India the last time I was on a train, having drinks, snacks and chai, my friends after they drank everything, just started throwing everything out the window, and I am talking about educated people. I was disgusted and they started telling me if I can't handle India then I shouldn't be there, WTF? And these same people asked me to help them to migrate overseas.

Didn't know what to say to them, I was taken completely aback, I told them about Indians in the UK, Canada, Australia and how different they acted and all they said is India is a garbage dump, where no one respects anyone and people are out to get what then can from others, I was disgusted and now none of them are my friends.

It took me a long time to change my mindset, if I was still in India I would have been the same, but after travelling etc I can see that even India and Indians can change for the better.

When you have foreigners who come to India trying to clean up the beaches, train tracks etc they are doing it to set an example for all of us. Not saying Indians aren't doing this as well, but it needs a concerted effort from everyone.

I am ashamed when I go back to India and see my family and friends treating India like dirt, and then beating their chest about how wonderful India is, when none of them have stepped out of India, and I was the same way.

Is what I am saying right or wrong? Maybe I am just stupid.

Edited by SujitPrakash

2 minutes ago, kepler37b said:

Simple.

We are a low trust society.

A low trust society will be chaotic, inefficient, lazy and corrupt.  Our cities are one of the worst in the world. The quality of human resources is very bad. Inspite of all this, we can see our society looking for short term benefits through freebies and subsidies. Our future is NOT fantastic and we will be end up as a middle income country like mexico exporting nothing but cheap labour. 

The primary reason is mind boggling diversity in caste, language and culture. Uni-Culture societies are much more successful.  I feel like hitting "Diversity is strength" idiots with a bat. They are so far invested in fantasy la la land.

But there is a disclaimer.

From 1992, there is a lot of "un-diversification"  in our society. Caste structure is breaking down and Uni-Hindu culture is being adopted across the board. There has been an increase in consciousness of Hindu identity, that has been missing for thousands of years. I am hopeful that this will bring in a sense of common interest to Majority of Indians and will drive us towards economic prosperity.

This can't be true? Please say it's not true, I love India but that is a very pessimistic way of looking at India.

59 minutes ago, SujitPrakash said:

But if India is worthless to those Indians, wouldn't they be treating their new country the same way? As worthless garbage?

Difficult to hide in a disciplined environment  as I said - Because he/she is a) trying to impress (to impress you also have to say nice things about India) and show that he is “advanced” too and b)  cannot hide in a disciplined environment. 10 ppl will tell him to keep the area clean

16 minutes ago, zen said:

Difficult to hide in a disciplined environment  as I said - Because he/she is a) trying to impress (to impress you also have to say nice things about India) and show that he is “advanced” too and b)  cannot hide in a disciplined environment. 10 ppl will tell him to keep the area clean

Yeah that is true, I hope that India can change as a country and as a people.

We can't keep beating our chest and saying how great we are when we get praised, and then hating people who have a different opinion to us. or say negative things about us.

I don't understand how Indians don't treat other Indians as humans? Or am I wrong in saying that?

Edited by SujitPrakash

8 minutes ago, SujitPrakash said:

Yeah that is true, I hope that India can change as a country and as a people.

We can't keep beating our chest and saying how great we are when we get praised, and then hating people who have a different opinion to us. or say negative things about us.

I don't understand how Indians don't treat other Indians as humans? Or am I wrong in saying that?

Why you are so obsessed with india or Indian opinion about themselves. On topic, I would call you a chutiya thread creator/ self hatred Indian like few other overseas Indian  Or a sane person person what you would appreciate.

8 minutes ago, raki05 said:

Why you are so obsessed with india or Indian opinion about themselves. On topic, I would call you a chutiya thread creator/ self hatred Indian like few other overseas Indian  Or a sane person person what you would appreciate.

Don't really care what you call me.

Edited by SujitPrakash

3 minutes ago, SujitPrakash said:

That's good, but is that why you are posting in this thread? Are you offended?

Ask yourself do you get offended and hence you created this thread. I just exposed hypocrisy of associating Indian to pass your personal opinion and generalizing it.

Are PIOs any more sensitive to this than other people? Am not so sure. If i told my chinesr friend that his country is a craphole, he would be just as offended, no? 

From personal experiece (which can be highyly misleading and myopic), I feel we have a greater tendency to seek outsiders' adulation and approval. When i was growing up, i was taught how important it is to be perceived well by society. Extrapolating from there. I have observed how we dont overtly appreciate our culture, our achievemements, our food, until someone else does - e.g., why is it such a source of joy when a westerner wears Indian clothes or speaks Hindi or enjoys sambar? Those things are all wonderful even if the westerner thinks otherwise. 

4 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Are PIOs any more sensitive to this than other people? Am not so sure. If i told my chinesr friend that his country is a craphole, he would be just as offended, no? 

From personal experiece (which can be highyly misleading and myopic), I feel we have a greater tendency to seek outsiders' adulation and approval. When i was growing up, i was taught how important it is to be perceived well by society. Extrapolating from there. I have observed how we dont overtly appreciate our culture, our achievemements, our food, until someone else does - e.g., why is it such a source of joy when a westerner wears Indian clothes or speaks Hindi or enjoys sambar? Those things are all wonderful even if the westerner thinks otherwise. 

The worst are those foreigners react to Indian food/movie etc Youtube videos. It's so popular with Indians,  yet you wouldn't get any westerners excited if vice versa? They wouldn't give a damn about our reaction.

How morally weak are we Indians.