U19 World Cup Discussion

nsareen

14 hours ago, Suhaan said:

Nagarkoti was borderline 150 in that tournament,no bowler looked that quick in the whole tournament

Hangerakar is that quick?or maybe 145?

Yes. He looked seriously quick to me. Disappointing to see no speed guns. That's a huge let down for an international tournament. 

Harnoor has been out in both televised games in a similar fashion to a similar type of bowler . Left arm swing bowler who bowl a couple of outswingers and bring one back in.. he has a huge movement of the front leg and tends to go a lot towards the ball, susceptible to the indipper, it’s an obvious problem which now has been publicised on TV. He will have to get some quick insights from kanitkar if he has to score in this tournament.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even though Angkrish scored that nice 50 in the finals of asia cup, he has been out on low scores a lot.

They have a few players who can be tried in the two lesser games, but he has been playing right through without missing a game, don’t think manangement is keen to bench him at the expense of others..

18 minutes ago, sarchasm said:

There's not ONE batsman in this cohort worthy of the same hype as Shaw, Yashashvi, and Gill from previous 2 classes. But that's alright because in the cohort before that, we didn't have a single worthy batsman either - we got two outstanding keeper-bats instead in Pant and Kishan.

This time I feel we'd see one or two of them standout at AR prospect - Bawa and Hangargekar.

Thats because Shaw and Gill x got nearly 2 years of solid preparation playing all over the world in u-19 tournaments before the WC. On the basis of those performances, they got to play Ranji and other LO tournaments for their state sides.

The current cohort has had a grand total of 1 tournament - the Asia Cup as their preparation. If they had got a few more tournaments, the likes of Harnoor, Shaikh Rasheed, Dhull, Hanganekar, Ostwal, Sandhu would have made a name for themselves by now.

10 hours ago, sarchasm said:

There's not ONE batsman in this cohort worthy of the same hype as Shaw, Yashashvi, and Gill from previous 2 classes. But that's alright because in the cohort before that, we didn't have a single worthy batsman either - we got two outstanding keeper-bats instead in Pant and Kishan.

This time I feel we'd see one or two of them standout at AR prospect - Bawa and Hangargekar.

I think sarfaraz was in the same U19 squad. He has some technical issues, but I like his temperament - finds ways to score runs

I think there was also a triangular involving Bangers where they shat the bed. Besides the usual age group tournaments.

Speaking strictly of batsmen, none of them have the jaw dropping batting skills of Shaw nor are any the kind of statistical monsters the way Gill and Yash were. Watching them bat live, none of them made me sit up and notice but I am prepared to accept my personal whims don't matter. But the least I expect is dominance of the kind the earlier 3 had. That is startlingly missing.

yes at the moment, but those guys had 30-40 games to play, these guys had 4-5, so we can give the benefit of doubt there. covid has messed up preparations..

These players are playing as one would say like the correct batsmen textbook style, in the KL Rahul mould of the past, not too flashy, but they do have the attacking game which i believe the pitches are not allowing to show.

on flat conditions these players may score 150+ too.. Dinesh Bana has 170 to his credit & Siddharth Yadav has a 150 + in the same game. But bana has not been able to make the transition of form from flat tracks to tracks with movement.

I personally like the look of Rasheed, very correct batsmen, can play the attacking game too if required, only 17-18, once he grows stronger can become a big player. These are tough conditions for top 3 batsmen because of the extra help to the bowlers in the first 10 overs, if any batsmen can come through that phase and manage to score, would be appreciation worthy..

46 minutes ago, nsareen said:

England seem to have all boxes ticked.. look like one of the top contenders..

Bowlers are little slower. We have to see how they do against better sides. Boyden looks a real prospect. He has variations. reasonable accuracy. Just needs to add a bit more pace.