Raj Kapoor, Bollywood's greatest showman

zen

45 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

His biography said he fell in love with all his heroines from Nargis, Vyjayanthimala, Padmini and Zeenat.

What has that got to do with his films? ... AB fell in love with Rekha while being married to Jaya; Dharmendra leveraged on Meena Kumari's weaknesses and married Hema Malini, accepting Islam on paper if I am not wrong so he could have multiple wives; SRK had an affair with Priyanka Chopra while being married to Gauri; and so on. These things do not come when we discuss their films!! 

38 minutes ago, zen said:

What has that got to do with his films? ... AB fell in love with Rekha while being married to Jaya; Dharmendra leveraged on Meena Kumari's weaknesses and married Hema Malini, accepting Islam on paper if I am not wrong so he could have multiple wives; SRK had an affair with Priyanka Chopra while being married to Gauri; and so on. These things do not come when we discuss their films!! 

yes, and this issue was probably even more pronounced in south india. gemini ganesan had not only a gazillion affairs but also a gazillion wives, I believe

Edited by Vijy

On 1/24/2022 at 6:57 PM, zen said:

Talking about acting in songs, RK was exceptional: 

Awara Hoon

Ichak Dana Bichak Dana Dane Upar

Yeh Raat Bheegi Bheegi

O Mere Sanam O Mere Sanam

In my opinion, speaking of Hindi cinema (specifically Bollywood), I regard Raj Kapoor as No.2 all time in the visualisation and actualisation of songs.

2 minutes ago, zen said:

who do you consider #1? Rajesh Khanna?

I wasn't clear enough, sorry about that. I was referring to directors when I rated Kapoor at No. 2. My No. 1 for the execution of songs and their integration into the overall narrative is the maestro Guru Dutt

Rajesh Khanna has indeed been in some ATG songs.

Edited by Vijy

17 minutes ago, Vijy said:

I wasn't clear enough, sorry about that. I was referring to directors when I rated Kapoor at No. 2. My No. 1 for the execution of songs and their integration into the overall narrative is the maestro Guru Dutt

Rajesh Khanna has indeed been in some ATG songs.

When it comes to acting in song both the RKs (Kapoor and Khanna) were exceptional!

2 minutes ago, zen said:

PS talking about Rajesh Khanna:

With Lata and Kishore singing, Bakshi writing lyrics, and the incomparable Burman dada rendering the music, the song was in great hands. further enhanced by excellent cinematography and acting.

On 1/24/2022 at 3:55 AM, coffee_rules said:

How is it misunderstood? Have you watched it recently? Please elaborate. His biography said he fell in love with all his heroines from Nargis, Vyjayanthimala, Padmini and Zeenat. The movie is self-indulgent crap. I don’t know how it can leave strong impression @ravishingravi

Well I am not too bothered about his personal life. Yes he lived life on a bigger scale let's say. 

For me Mera Naam Joker was ambitious. Ambition doesn't mean perfect or achievement. For me ambition literally means that the artist is risking failure. He put everything on the line and film broke many of the typical patterns of story telling. 

On 1/23/2022 at 10:31 PM, Vijy said:

I did watch it quite recently, but I don't see what the timing of my watching has anything to do with it. it is misunderstood because it was seen (and still is seen by many) as being titillating and/or mindless entertainment. In actuality, it is quite a nuanced exploration of the various stages of a performer/artist's life, what it means to be a struggling creator (in raju's case, clown), and so on. It is loosely reminiscent of chaplin's "Limelight". Both of these are flawed films (Limelight has fewer flaws), but they explore in depth the ups and downs of an artistic psyche.

any movie list is subjective. I wrote it was "My no. 2 pick", not that it should be everyone's no. 2 pick.

One’s view of a movie changes over life experiences, political leanings. I had liked Rang De Basanti in 2006, but of all political changes and my leanings changed, I see the movie as an anarchist or commie propaganda story where the youth is encouraged to rebel against anything that is not clear to them. 

I brought up his personal life because he has claimed he drew inspiration for the movie from his personal life experiences, sort of auto-biographical. A string of failures and tragedy striking him, he chose a clown as an homage to his idol . Compared to his idol, his Chaplin act is a charade and a caricature  The Rishi Kapoor story about infatuations of a teen, I agree was path breaking. I saw the movie recently and it is long winded , self-indulgent sob story, with him as a director spoon feeding the audience on how to feel sorry.