Papon (Singer) - A much much better version of Hariharan : Song: <Jhuk na Paunga >

rangeelaraja

6 hours ago, rangeelaraja said:

If I did not know this was Papon, I would have mistaken the singer for Hariharan at his very best - but Papon is even better.

Initially even I had mistaken Papons identity to Hariharan, they have similar textures, but Papon is more Bass heavy, whereas as Hariharan is slightly open throated and has better range than Papon. Papon has ideal voice for Ghazals, whereas Hariharan can sing almost everything, right from Ghazal to something like Hai rama yeh kya hua.

No, I don't agree that Papon is better than Hariharan. 

1 hour ago, Sean Bradley said:

Initially even I had mistaken Papons identity to Hariharan, they have similar textures, but Papon is more Bass heavy, whereas as Hariharan is slightly open throated and has better range than Papon. Papon has ideal voice for Ghazals, whereas Hariharan can sing almost everything, right from Ghazal to something like Hai rama yeh kya hua.

No, I don't agree that Papon is better than Hariharan. 

Well I guess it comes down to tastes and preferences. I myself a huge fan of Hariharan. His " Ay hairathe aashiqui " from Guru is one of my all time favorites.

But Papon's voice gives me more joy than Hariharan.

Just like no matter how highly people rate Lata Mangeshkar or Shreya Ghoshal, my personal favorite by a long shot is Alka Yagnik.

Almost all my favorite Bollywood songs from the 90s and 2000s have been sung by Alka Yagnik.

VQ of both are good, they both are classically trained and have a great sense of Shruthi (sur) . Hariharan has sung great ghazals as well and has a batter repertoire of songs than Papon, Papon’s Bengali and Assamese folk songs are pretty awesome  

Only issue with Papon is he is tainted, I hope he has realized his error in judgement in that controversy

3 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

VQ of both are good, they both are classically trained and have a great sense of Shruthi (sur) . Hariharan has sung great ghazals as well and has a batter repertoire of songs than Papon, Papon’s Bengali and Assamese folk songs are pretty awesome  

Only issue with Papon is he is tainted, I hope he has realized his error in judgement in that controversy

In my opinion, Hariharan, as awesome as he is, has a little more nasal twang in his voice than what I like.  I find Papon more balanced.